• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (3 Viewers)

Cool, so so far I get Rufescent Flycatcher and Northern Tropical Parula as armchair ticks, not bad :) But the English names of tyrannids are really quite confusing, because you often have an elaenia, a tyrannulet and a flycatcher with a very similar specific name (a color of a body part) and this way you get a lot of species that sound familiar, but aren't the ones you think about. Or maybe it's just me being not focused enough ...
You mean Northern Tropical Pewee right?

Although these are proposed splits, not accepted splits. No guarantee they are going to be accepted.

That's what I am talking about when I say the neotropical names are utterly confusing!! Granted I did not plan to demonstrate this fact in such a humiliating manner, but my brain has simply read Parula instead of Pewee, giving co consideration to the fact - which I surely new - that the Parula isn't even a tyrant. Put "tropical p****" simply activated the wrong circuits in my brain ...

I should stick with WP birds :)

Oct 23 Post proposed split of Northern Tropical Pewee from (Southern) Tropical Pewee.
If accepted, and with the more Northern Short-legged (Tropical) Pewee Contopus (cinereus) [brachytarsus Group], I'd suggest that the name Tropical Pewee is kept (just as it is) for Contopus cinereus [i.e. the cinereus Group], and that we use the name Llanos (Tropical) Pewee for Contopus (cinereus) bogotensis (alone), which also would keep it apart from the Tumbes (Tropical) Pewee Contopus (cinereus) punensis, of course.

Or doesn't that work?

Either way, take it as as suggestion (for whatever it's worth). South American Birds, and their taxonomy, are far, far away from my "home turf".

However, I also think that the Olive-sided Flycatcher Contopus cooperi ought to be changed into Olive-sided Pewee (as it's the only Contopus not being called Pewee in English, also to keep it apart from the Olive Flycatcher Mitrephanes olivaceus).

Björn

PS. Here in Sweden we use the name nordlig pivi (meaning Northern Pewee) for the "Olive-sided Flycatcher" Contopus cooperi. ;)

Last edited:
If accepted, and with the more Northern Short-legged (Tropical) Pewee Contopus (cinereus) [brachytarsus Group], I'd suggest that the name Tropical Pewee is kept (just as it is) for Contopus cinereus [i.e. the cinereus Group], and that we use the name Llanos (Tropical) Pewee for Contopus (cinereus) bogotensis (alone), which also would keep it apart from the Tumbes (Tropical) Pewee Contopus (cinereus) punensis, of course.
To be honest with you, this sounds complex enough that it would be better to completely retire the name of Tropical Pewee.
Niels

To be honest with you, this sounds complex enough that it would be better to completely retire the name of Tropical Pewee.
Niels
Honesty is a good thing, Niels ;), and if Stability of Names isn't a major Concern (I believed it was, and think it is), how about; Sentry Pewee, alt. Sentinel Pewee, for the remaining Contopus cinereus (Group), ... or not?

However I agree that "Tropical" isn't a very good name considering its range (and certainly not for the nominate ssp. itself).

But that's all I can come up with, and that's about all I can say in this particular topic, sorry. Thereby, I gladly leave this case in more capable hands, with less risk of making a fool of myself.

Those birds (and their English names) are simply too, too far away for my scope ... :censored:

Last edited:
They keep coming:

Oct 24 Post proposed split of Burmese Starling Acridotheres burmannicus and Vinous-breasted Starling A. leucocephalus.

Oct 24 Post proposed split of Brown-crowned Scimitar Babbler from Coral-billed Scimitar Babbler.

Oct 24 Post proposed split of Burmese Starling Acridotheres burmannicus and Vinous-breasted Starling A. leucocephalus.
MJB

Oct. 25 Post proposed split of Kalao Blue Flycatcher from Mangrove Blue Flycatcher.

Oct 25 Post proposed split of Rufous-breasted Blue Flycatcher from Blue-breasted Blue Flycatcher.

Last edited:
A good number of these proposed splits are live now in eBird, which suggests to me that they are coming from the WGAC team.

(It isn't totally straightforward to see them because eBird sometimes has different English names, e.g. "Myna" instead of "Starling" for Acridotheres species.)

More proposals that can also bee found in the eBird/Clements update:

Oct 25 Post proposed split of Red-cowled Widowbird from Red-collared Widowbird.

Oct 25 Post proposed split of Chestnut-and-black Weaver from Vieillot's Black Weaver.

Oct 25 Post proposed split of Red Weaver from Red-headed Weaver.

A new batch, familiar from the eBird/Clements update:

Oct 26 Post proposed split of Copper-tailed Hummingbird from Green-bellied Humminbird.

Oct 26 Post proposed split of Enggano Imperial Pigeon from Green Imperial Pigeon.

Oct 26 Post proposed splits of Western Crested Guineafowl and Southern Crested Guineafowl from (Eastern) Crested Guineafowl.

Oct 26 Post proposed split of White-throated Piping Guan from Blue-throated Piping Guan.

Oct 26 Post proposed split of Sabah Partridge from Chestnut-necklaced Partridge.

Not included in the diary but worth mentioning, in the updates section for subspecies and taxonomy there are a bunch of changes listed. Most of these seem to also be related to the Clements/ebird update, and presumably also WGAC

Oct 28 Post proposed split of Izu Robin from Japanese Robin.

Oct 28 Accept split (PS 9.1, PS 13.1) of Ethiopian Thrush from Groundscraper Thrush.

Oct 28 Accept split (PS 9.2) of White-browed Shortwing complex into Philippine, Bornean, Sumatran, Javan and Flores Shortwings.

(Accepting of splits has started.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back