• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (3 Viewers)

June 13 Post newly described species Satin Berrypecker on Updates/PS.

(I'm unclear about whether that's "proposed" or "approved" though -- it doesn't have the green background that approved splits/lumps have.)

Paul,

All newly described species are "posted" until "accepted". See the Diary concerning the two "new" cisticolas, for example. When accepted, we will post it as such and, as you say, turn the entry in the PS page to Green.

David

(I'm unclear about whether that's "proposed" or "approved" though -- it doesn't have the green background that approved splits/lumps have.)
Formally, the bird is not described yet.

(The paper is registered in ZooBank, hence, assuming things were done correctly, it will be published for nomenclatural purposes as soon as a final version (in .pdf format, containing evidence that this registration has occurred, and stating a publication date) is issued on the publisher's website. The current version is clearly indicated as preliminary ("This article has been accepted for publication and undergone full peer review but has not been through the copyediting, typesetting, pagination and proofreading process, which may lead to differences between this version and the Version of Record."), hence can not be regarded as published in the sense of the ICZN.)

June 16 Post proposed split of Arabian Lark from Dunn's Lark.

June 16 Post proposed splits of Maghreb Wheatear and Basalt Wheatear from Mourning Wheatear.

June 16 Accept split of Tanzanian Illadopsis (initially proposed as Grey-breasted Illadopsis) from Pale-breasted Illadopsis.

June 16 Accept split of Short-tailed Akalat from Bocage's Akalat.

June 16 Accept split of Stripe-breasted Seedeater from Reichard's Seedeater.

June 17 Accept split of Brown-tailed Apalis from Yellow-breasted Apalis.

June 17 Accept newly described Kilombero Cisticola and White-tailed Cisticola.
Can anyone tell me the new scientific names for the cisticolas? I saw the White-tailed way back in 2004, and it has been waiting for a formal name in my list!

June 18 Accept splits of Maghreb Wheatear and Basalt Wheatear from Mourning Wheatear.

June 18 Accept split of Arabian Lark from Dunn's Lark.

What, they split Basalt Wheatear? It's been years since we have been to Jordan, but if I remember correctly, we thought "there is no way this color morph is ever gonna get split" and never went for it ...

June 19 Revise linear sequence of Scytalopus.

June 19 Revise the linear sequence of Euphoninae.

June 19 Revise the linear sequence of Polioptilidae.

June 18 Revise the linear sequence and generic classification of the tribe Xolmiini.

Can anyone work out which form(s) of Yellow-breasted Apalis occur round Mwanza in Tanzania (bottom edge of lake Victoria) please? I'm struggling!

June 21 Split Yellow-eared Lorikeet Saudareos meyeri from Citrine Lorikeet Saudareos flavoviridis.

June 21 Spilt Stella's Lorikeet Charmosyna stellae from monotypic Papuan Lorikeet Charmosyna papou.

June 21 Revise linear sequence and generic classification of Loriini.

Am I missing something?

Under 'English name updates' I notice:
Pallas's CormorantUrile perspicillatusSpectacled CormorantChange English name of Urile perspicillatus from Pallas's Cormorant to Spectacled Cormorant.

But as far as I know, IOC treats the Urile species under Phalacrocorax

Good point. I don't see any update listed. That's now the IUCN/Birdlife name so perhaps a change is in process and just hasn't got listed yet.

Am I missing something?

Under 'English name updates' I notice:
Pallas's CormorantUrile perspicillatusSpectacled CormorantChange English name of Urile perspicillatus from Pallas's Cormorant to Spectacled Cormorant.

But as far as I know, IOC treats the Urile species under Phalacrocorax
There is an AOS pending proposal for this year's checklist update that tackles Cormorant genera. Perhaps this change was inspired by that proposal, and it's not posted yet because they are waiting for AOS to officially publish their results.

There is an AOS pending proposal for this year's checklist update that tackles Cormorant genera. Perhaps this change was inspired by that proposal, and it's not posted yet because they are waiting for AOS to officially publish their results.

Exactly. We plan to revise the genera of the entire family. The English name update for Spectacled Cormorant, including the revised genus allocation, was released prematurely.

David

June 21 Spilt Stella's Lorikeet Charmosyna stellae from monotypic Papuan Lorikeet Charmosyna papou.
Odd name choice - Vogelkop Lorikeet would seem a better choice for the restricted range form? If we're going to keep Papuan Lorikeet for anything, it should be stellae!

Odd name choice - Vogelkop Lorikeet would seem a better choice for the restricted range form? If we're going to keep Papuan Lorikeet for anything, it should be stellae!
Adam,
Good point. You'd think so, except that the names Papuan Lorikeet for the range-restricted C. papou and Stella's Lorikeet for the more widely distributed species are deeply embedded in the literature going back at least as far Iredale (1956) and more recently used by Gregory (2017) and by HBW/Birdlife. Will ponder.
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back