• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leather Ultravids (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Has anybody had a chance, so far, to compare rubber armoured and leather clad Ultravids? Or have the latter not come out yet? I understand they do not have that thumb-rest, so I wonder how the handling feels. That extra saving of weight would make them quite attractive for me. I never had a problem with the old unarmoured Leica binoculars, so I don't think I'd really need the armouring.

I ordered the BR ultravid, they did not fit me well. My eyes are close together (around 59mm) and the thumb rest really got in the way and made them hard to hold comfortably. Holding them with the barrels spread out was nice, and seems like they would fit good to someone with normal eye spacing. I didn't think to exchange for the BL at the time, might look at them later.

I know a guy with the BL, so they are out.

Jad

Swissboy said:
Has anybody had a chance, so far, to compare rubber armoured and leather clad Ultravids? Or have the latter not come out yet? I understand they do not have that thumb-rest, so I wonder how the handling feels. That extra saving of weight would make them quite attractive for me. I never had a problem with the old unarmoured Leica binoculars, so I don't think I'd really need the armouring.

I agonized over this one for a long time - style vs durability... I chickened out and went for durability. That said though - I looked at both together when browsing - difference in weight is slight. I have had the 10x42 BRs for a couple of weeks - they are surprisingly light and compact so I am happy in that respect. The premium price on the BLs is also considerable as you are doing away with durability - not sure how well leather will wear with respect to scuffing and water...? The BLs do have a cool 'shrink wrap' case - which is considerably heavier that the cordura case with the BRs - so case + binos is lighter for BRs that BLs plus case...

Anway - excellent binoculars whichever you go for.

bubbles said:
not sure how well leather will wear with respect to scuffing and water...? The BLs do have a cool 'shrink wrap' case - which is considerably heavier that the cordura case with the BRs - so case + binos is lighter for BRs that BLs plus case...

I would assume that the leather version would be about like the old Leica binoculars used to be. In that case they would not be too bad under adverse weather conditions. Is there someone who knows more?

The "case" argument is one I had not considered at all. It's a good point, though. I would definitely prefer a light cloth type case for travelling. But one could relatively easily do one at home.

Swissboy said:
I would assume that the leather version would be about like the old Leica binoculars used to be. In that case they would not be too bad under adverse weather conditions. Is there someone who knows more?

The "case" argument is one I had not considered at all. It's a good point, though. I would definitely prefer a light cloth type case for travelling. But one could relatively easily do one at home.

I was able to handle the Ultravid 8x42 BL several months ago and was disappointed. It is beautiful but it really seemed to be more a collector's item than a tool for heavy birding (or other sports). The weight difference between it and the BR was negligible. The BL felt cold and its ergonomics were not very good. It is also lacking armor which seems essential to me in a binocular in that price range. The BR felt great and the ergonomics are superb. I bought the Ultravid BR.

how does the eye cups differ between the ultravid BR and BL ?? I only have seen pictures (leica product PDF) of the BL but it seems that the eye cups are wider??

gorank said:
how does the eye cups differ between the ultravid BR and BL ?? I only have seen pictures (leica product PDF) of the BL but it seems that the eye cups are wider??

The eyecups in the BR and BL are the same.

I was able to try a pair of 8x42 BRs and LOVED the view, but HATED the ergonomics. For me, if they had done away with the thumb ridges (which cut into my thumbs when I hold it) they would be near perfect. Didn't have the chance to try a BL because they didn't have one. Has anyone else tried the BL?

I'm not REAL rough on my bins, but I would want one to survive a downpour if I were caught in one. I would THINK the leather would shrink after getting soaked.

Last edited:
im quite attached to my new 10x42br ultravid. the leather option looked o.k. but i was thinking about long term use in all conditions, and thought the rubber would suit me more, grip wise.

they are a truly stunning bino to use however - no problems from mine.

The BL is really really POSH! The fit and finish are absolutely fantastic. IMHO BR is for users and BL is for connoisseurs.

leather ultravids and rain don't mix

leicaeddy said:
The BL is really really POSH! The fit and finish are absolutely fantastic. IMHO BR is for users and BL is for connoisseurs.

I don't have leather ultravids. However, a friend recently brought a bran new pair on a trip to Ecuador with me. After 2 or 3 days in the cloud forest the rain had gotten inside the leather covering which was blistering and peeling away from the underlying metal barrel. There is a reason bins are rubber-armored and it is not all to do with shock bufering! The leather-covered Leicas may save weight, but I would not carry them in the field.

leicaeddy said:

I have used the "leather" version of the Leica 10 x 25 Trinovid for years, and have had no problems whatsoever. The covering, which appears to be identical to the Ultravid BL covering, actually seems more related to the thermoplastic family than to any once living thing. I, too, wasn't wowed by the Ultravid BL ergonomics, but I'll bet the "leather" covering will prove just as tough as the rubber on the BR models (which are IMHO a vast improvement over the early in the series miserably slippery Trinovid polyeurathane armor - but that's another story altogether).

Hi,

I bought my Ultravid 8x42 BL because the styling goes directly back to Leica's beautiful first Trinovid-series. Although the second series, made from the nineties on, was/is optically great and built like a brick, I never could get over their weight and clumsy ergonomics. Also, the Ultravid is THE alternative to the Swarovski EL. Look at Ultravid's massive central hinge bar, and then see the big hole between Swaro's barrels! (note: the irony here is that Leica in the late fifties manufactured a precursor to the Trinovids that very much reminds one of the Swarovski EL! You can find a picture of this rare creature in Seeger's Ferngläser im Wandel der Zeit. Also check eBay, there's a live auction from Austria going at the moment - for a few hours yet - that lists the thing too).
Another reason I fell for the Ultravid BL was the case. It's the nicest one I've ever seen and used, very well thought out and perfectly functional. I throw the cased bins in my rucksack, stow some fruit, candy, bread, books, bycycle pump and what have you next to it, and never worry about a thing. Certainly wouldn't consider doing this with a Swaro (no case at all!) or the big, angular cases of other brands.

Renze

BR/BLs

I have a pair of 8x42BRs and find them fairly comfy, apart from the annoying thumb ridges. The 8x42BLs are really comfy to use but having heard the stories about lack of durability, I'm glad I dinny buy them.

I think they should produce a BL type model with light, compact rubber grip zones where the leather is.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back