• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO Televid 77 - Focussing knob faulty (1 Viewer)

yves0071

France
Hi,
I have a Leica APO Televid 77 and the quick focussing knob is not operating anymore . Formerly, it was hard to turn (compared to the fine knob) , with a play and now it seems disconnected from the fine knob and turns freely without any effect on focussing function).
Maybe some of you experienced such problem?
Thanks in advance & best regards
Yves

Hi,
As an alternative, if someboby has a plan of focussing systems of the Leica Televid 77 to understand where is the problem, it will be nice too!
Thanks in advance & Best regards
Yves

Try this [email protected]
They should be able to advise you. I think there were individual rubber band /belt that connected the focus wheels to the hearing......one of these may have perished or come loose - I may well be wrong.

Last edited:
Try searching the BF website. I found this,

" I have never seen a Televid 77 with a broken focus band and I have repaired hundrds of them over the years. These bands are virtually indestructible.

What I suspect is that one of the 4 screws which attach the objective tube to the prism housing has come loose and fallen into the the focus mechanism - this is the usual culprit.*

Look into the objective and you should see 4 cross-head screws about level with the tripod mount. If one is missing you have the problem.*

Try searching the BF website. I found this,

" I have never seen a Televid 77 with a broken focus band and I have repaired hundrds of them over the years. These bands are virtually indestructible.

What I suspect is that one of the 4 screws which attach the objective tube to the prism housing has come loose and fallen into the the focus mechanism - this is the usual culprit.*

Look into the objective and you should see 4 cross-head screws about level with the tripod mount. If one is missing you have the problem.*

Thanks Pat for this feed back.
In deed, I also never heard about broken belt.
Sorry, I may have not givem enough description!
The focussing system is still working but only with the fine focussing knob. (the quick one is rolling and disconnected to the fine knob.
Best regards
Yves

The 'free spinning' focus wheel is a common problem on NOS televid 77 and 62 scopes. It's not the slow focus, but rather the quick focus rear wheel.
I've sent three bodies back for this problem over the last 15 years. If you obtain a scope with the problem take time to slowly free it up with small movements, don't push hard or it will break free and spin with no focus function.
And DO NOT use oil of any kind, ask me how I know.

Thanks guys for your help.
Correct! yes it is "free spinning"
I will see I send it back to service.
I can still use the fine focus knob.
From my small experience, there is only 1 belt for focus. but I have never sorted out such problem. In my case, it is not the screw problem.
If someboby have already desmanted such parts I will be happy to have some information.
Thanks in adavance & Best regards
Yves

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back