• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica CRF 1200 or 1600 (1 Viewer)

wal.s

As some of you know I love my 10x42 ultravid which I use extensively on a monopod but I'm thinking of purchasing a 7x or low power rangefinder to complement my birding, instead of lugging around 2 binos. What does anyone think of this idea? Does anyone have experience using a rangefinder and binocular combo out on the field? and if you do use a rangefinder, would you go for a leica unit or perhaps swaro, nikon or bushnell? Any advice would be welcome, preferably on waterproof and reliable units.

Wal.

As some of you know I love my 10x42 ultravid which I use extensively on a monopod but I'm thinking of purchasing a 7x or low power rangefinder to complement my birding, instead of lugging around 2 binos. What does anyone think of this idea? Does anyone have experience using a rangefinder and binocular combo out on the field? and if you do use a rangefinder, would you go for a leica unit or perhaps swaro, nikon or bushnell? Any advice would be welcome, preferably on waterproof and reliable units.

Wal.

I have the CRF 900 and it is a fantastic rangefinder. I compared it to everyone under the counter at Cabelas one day and with it's slighly larger objective, it was clearly clearer and brighter than anything I looked at - and it's very compact as well. I love the red led readout. Not sure if other rangefinders work this way now but I can range the neighbor's house thru my living room picture window and then move to the open doorway and get the same reading!

Hi Wal,

It depends on your use. If you are carrying good binoculars and want a good range finder, or do you want good optics and a passable range finder?

I have the Leica Vector, Leica LRF900 (many years old now), Leupold RX IV (with compass, inclinometer), several different Bushnells, Opti-Logic and several cheaper, less usable ones.

We will not talk about the Vector, it is worth it’s weight in gold when coupled to a submeter GPS unit, of course, that is about it’s price too.

The LRF has the best optics for its small aperture but the ranging is limited in its features, but excellent at what it does. I have not tried any of the later units.

The Leupold has the most ranging features, about like the Vector, but kink of a pain in the neck to use. Better than average small aperture optics.

The Bushnells are my choice for general ranging use. Optics not with the Leupold or Leica, but the ranging, especially in the scan mode, is smooth, consistant ranging with rain, fog, near and far filters, and faster than most. Also cheaper than most others.

I have only tried one Nikon, one of the first ones and did not care for it, I have not tried any in the last few years.

Thank you Surveyor and tpcollins for your input. I don't think that rangefinders are that popular in this forum but i've got my heart set on getting one soon with reasonable to good optics to compliment the binoculars and for sole use when orienteering. I think i'm going to look at the Leupolds and Bushnells closely. Apologies for the late reply.

Wal.

Hi Wal;

I forgot to mention that Leica and Zeiss have high quality binoculars with range finding features. The are usually high priced and the optics are somewhat compromised by the range finder and the range finder may not have all the features of a stand alone range finder. There is a Zeiss Victory with ballistic calculator (inclinometer) for around US $3K and the Leica Vector with inclinometer and digital compass but >$10k and the Geovids for about $2300. I do not know if Swarovski has anything.

For my use, I use a binocular for observing detail and range finder for object location, two separate uses. If you use them for a common purpose, the binocular range finder may be OK, only one piece to carry. When using a range finder, generally, the optics in it are good enough since the active spot size is pretty large, but you will not be able to bird much with them, to much information in the view that gets in the way.

Hi RonE,

Useful comment I completed overlooked - the amount of clear viewing through the rangefinder blocked by the led number display, the red spot/reticle (whatever its called), etc. I'm told that the Leica ones have smaller digital data, etc that would interfere with the view. Which one would you recommend that would be as simple as possible, has the best optics and whose digital readouts and features would not encroach on or disturb the view?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back