• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Hdplus 7x42 vs Trinovid 7x35 (1 Viewer)

I have both and the 7x42 Ultravid HD+ is optically much better than the 7x35 Retrovid. Although the Retrovid optics is nice

But i use the Retrovid more because i travel a lot

I have both and the 7x42 Ultravid HD+ is optically much better than the 7x35 Retrovid. Although the Retrovid optics is nice

But i use the Retrovid more because i travel a lot
Define your opinion of much better, please.

I have both as well , and the 8x32UV+. I find the classics to be right with the UVs, hardly anything is separating these two. I’d also assume that it could be the same glass and coatings. The UV is a touch sharper & brighter, when in low lighting, but the classic is a touch warmer and a little more color saturation. It’s also a touch sharper than 8x32.

Paul

it's interesting to read comments saying there's no appreciable difference between 30,32,35mm and 42mm binoculars during the day. My feeling is 180 degrees opposite - aperture is everything. For me it's 42mm or bust. It looks better than any 30mm binocular. Everything is more vivid and sharp and enjoyable. If somebody else was carrying the binos for me I'd use 56mm all the time.

At the high end you're paying so much for the oculars and prisms and body of the binoculars, you might as well get the full benefit with a 42mm objective lens.

it's interesting to read comments saying there's no appreciable difference between 30,32,35mm and 42mm binoculars during the day. My feeling is 180 degrees opposite - aperture is everything. For me it's 42mm or bust. It looks better than any 30mm binocular. Everything is more vivid and sharp and enjoyable. If somebody else was carrying the binos for me I'd use 56mm all the time.

At the high end you're paying so much for the oculars and prisms and body of the binoculars, you might as well get the full benefit with a 42mm objective lens.
I’d respond by suggesting you try mid level optic , Nikon M7, Vortex Viper or some other decent bino in 42, then compare to an NL, SF, EL etc. etc. in mid day in a sunny day. There’s a huge difference. First your stopped down exit pupal and the quality of the optics. I did this test myself with a few people. I was surprised as well.

I’d respond by suggesting you try mid level optic , Nikon M7, Vortex Viper or some other decent bino in 42, then compare to an NL, SF, EL etc. etc. in mid day in a sunny day. There’s a huge difference. First your stopped down exit pupal and the quality of the optics. I did this test myself with a few people. I was surprised as well.
Paul - you mean a 32mm high-end vs. a 42mm M7? or all 42s?

Paul - you mean a 32mm high-end vs. a 42mm M7? or all 42s?
Yeah kind of. Of course if all things are equal the 42’s are better all around. But during a sunny day with 8x32 & 8x42 NL , other than the eye box and a slight difference in field of view of those two , I see no discernible difference in the image.

I like my 7x42 HD+ better visually - contrast, saturation, 3d - EXCEPT there is something about how crisp tight image of the Trinnies...perhaps its ultimate resolution is better. And that counts for a lot.

It is a darn shame Leica doesn't just advance this bin with full waterproofness - it might otherwise become my everyday (tradeoffs of size, weight, image, etc.)
How often does it rain there? I’m guessing a lot if lack of waterproofing is a dealbreaker for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back