• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Noctivid 8x42 design flaws and review - owners please check (2 Viewers)

I'm very much sold on my 8x32BN and my Ultravids, but posts like this keep me hoping to buy a Noctivid someday, if they ever decide to make them in a smaller glass. Thanks for making me feel vindicated in being happy with the ones I have, and on the fence waiting for something else in the Noctivid line as well.
Smaller glass...???? And Swaro and Zeiss are making these things upwards of 6" and the Noctivid to you are big? ....really?

Smaller glass...???? And Swaro and Zeiss are making these things upwards of 6" and the Noctivid to you are big? ....really?

I imagine he means 32mm objective size, not smaller 42mm.

There is an issue with shrinking the Noctivid however, just like the NL - they have large complex eyepieces, which is their selling point.

32mm noctivid will have to give up some of the wow of the 42mm eyepieces, to achieve a lighter and balanced package.

Motivated by Holger's alternative suggestions to explain Tobias' complaint of flare and glare, I once again took a dive into the Noctivid's internals and I found this (see my picture - an original work of art). Under certain conditions with strong sun light entering the binocular in a specific angle, these rainbows can be found at the 5 and 7 o'çlock position in the viewing circle. And also but with more effort at 11 and 1 o'çlock.
This may look alarming, especially regarding my beautiful drawing, but note that these phenomena can only be seen when one looks from the eyelens into the binocular from a rather awkward, completely unusual angle. When looking through the binocular, as we all are used to do by nature, these rainbows don't show up, they're nicely out of sight.
I then turned the binoculars upside down and searched for the colors again. Nope. When the Noctivid is used upside down there are no rainbows to be seen.
Then I tried to ascertain if I could detect changes in flare and glare between the usual and upside down type of use. My verdict is: no. I don't see any differences in flare, glare or contrast. Which leads me to the conclusion that the 'rainbows' do not have an effect on the Noctivid's optical performance.

Renze

Yes I see exactly these too. Nice drawing!

I'm very much sold on my 8x32BN and my Ultravids, but posts like this keep me hoping to buy a Noctivid someday, if they ever decide to make them in a smaller glass. Thanks for making me feel vindicated in being happy with the ones I have, and on the fence waiting for something else in the Noctivid line as well.
I bought my first and only Leica 10x32BN in 2000 while earning a living as a birder. My coworker got the 8x32BN. I’ve been happy with it all these years.

I’ve had my eye on an even lighter glass and considered the Victory 8x25 or Leicas (too small at 20?) and possibly the Swarovski even smaller (but with some QC issues)

I just decided on (and bought) the 8x42 Nocs at a very good price from Leica dealer.

I bought my first and only Leica 10x32BN in 2000 while earning a living as a birder. My coworker got the 8x32BN. I’ve been happy with it all these years.

I’ve had my eye on an even lighter glass and considered the Victory 8x25 or Leicas (too small at 20?) and possibly the Swarovski even smaller (but with some QC issues)

I just decided on (and bought) the 8x42 Nocs at a very good price from Leica dealer.
I love my Nocs, but if you wanted 'an even lighter glass' I would recommend the SFL line.

I've tried the 8x25 Victory Pocket and really want a pair for myself, but I've got three 8x20 Ultravids, making it my single favorite binocular of all, and also the excellent 7x21 Curio, which is even easier to use.

Having said all that, the Zeiss is in a totally different zone size and weight wise than the Leica and Swarovski options and which would be the best fit for you would be impossible for anyone other than yourself to say. All three have their naysayers and supporters, primarily because we all see things differently and I hope you'll soon get the chance to try them out for yourself.

I'll close with a short version of an experience from last year, when a man and his wife tried all the binoculars I had with me at the time. She insisted the best binocular there was the 8x20 Ultravid, while he relentlessly tried to buy the 7x21 Curio from me.

sounds nice, I'm sure you'll like 42mm and having the state-of-the-art optics. Just curious, how were you employed as a birder???

sounds nice, I'm sure you'll like 42mm and having the state-of-the-art optics. Just curious, how were you employed as a birder???
Working initially as a volunteer (with daily per diem, saving up and writing main binoc companies to get pro discount—decided on Leica then) for national wildlife refuges and later doing seasonal gigs for Forest Service and some contractors, and then as a permanent FS wildlife biologist (but less actual birding).

I've tried the 8x25 Victory Pocket and really want a pair for myself, but I've got three 8x20 Ultravids, making it my single favorite binocular of all, and also the excellent 7x21 Curio, which is even easier to use.

Having said all that, the Zeiss is in a totally different zone size and weight wise than the Leica and Swarovski options and which would be the best fit for you would be impossible for anyone other than yourself to say. All three have their naysayers and supporters, primarily because we all see things differently and I hope you'll soon get the chance to try them out for yourself.

I'll close with a short version of an experience from last year, when a man and his wife tried all the binoculars I had with me at the time. She insisted the best binocular there was the 8x20 Ultravid, while he relentlessly tried to buy the 7x21 Curio from me.
I’ll do 3 Christmas bird counts in Dec - Jan and will ask to try out binoculars to educate myself. Unlikely anyone will have Leicas or a 7x21 curio though.

So it is nice to look at the construction of a binocular or any other mechanical device, and say they should have known better. However in the case of the Noctivid, it is a nothing burger. Excellent glass, heavy in weight for some, but not all.

So it is nice to look at the construction of a binocular or any other mechanical device, and say they should have known better. However in the case of the Noctivid, it is a nothing burger. Excellent glass, heavy in weight for some, but not all.
It is taking every bit of willpower I have to resist the mint 10x42's in the classifieds right now! :) Would love to see what Leica has done with these. I swore off the 10x42 size though...that's what I keep telling myself :)

You had the EDG10X42, so a bit higher transmission and weight with the Leica, that is about it.
Ahhh but Leica build and image. Dont own EDG but Leica vs MHG is no contest.

Of course I use/own several Leica bins and the 10x for sale are mine 😝
Just not a 10x guy….

Ahhh but Leica build and image. Dont own EDG but Leica vs MHG is no contest.

Of course I use/own several Leica bins and the 10x for sale are mine 😝
Just not a 10x guy….
same here - I am shipping out my 10x35 E2's to a new owner today too. My hands have never been steady. Still have the beastly 10x56 for astronomy and occasional bird use as needed. I'm actually considering trying 8x42 EDG even though I have 8x42 SF - really like the EDG.

It's the side-effects of uber-wide field designs I don't like. Especially for birding, with all the movement and speed needed to see them, I don't like having to fight through blackouts and weird peripheral effects. I prefer Leica and Nikon's choice to hold the line on AFOV and not enter the marketing arms race on FOV. The 10x42 EDG had easier eye placement than the 8x42 SF's...much easier.

Might have been tried and returned more times than other retailers?

Might be rejects passed down from other retailers?

I just checked this. That is a remarkable price, not much more than what I paid a year or so ago for like-new used green Noctivids. The Amazon listing references The Leica Store, but indicates shipping is from Fast Ship Direct. My guess is that these are grey market, which likely would limit warranty coverage. FWIW, Leical USA still shows these at $2999.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back