• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica MIG/MIP observation (1 Viewer)

Paultricounty

United States
Leica MIG/MIP observation

Just sharing some thoughts and observations motivated by a few threads here on BF.
Today I had the luxury to spend a beautiful spring day at one of local ponds with a half dozen phenomenal binoculars.
We were mainly comparing 4 Leica UVHD+ binos, two 7x42 and two 8x32’s. We had one 42 and one 32 made in Germany and the others made in Portugal. All relatively new stock. In addition on hand a Swarovski 8x30 Habicht and my newly acquired (new 😁) Nikon EDG 8x42.

To start and end with the German and Portugal manufacture debate. We had a total of seven observers, three were novices. There was absolutely no discernible difference in image quality, coatings, or build quality between between the four. I could say one stood out slightly with a lighter focuser on an 8x32 Portugal model. The other three focusers were identical. I find the focusers to be a little less desirable now that the SF’s, NL’s and Noctivids have taken that to a higher level. One of the Leica owners pointed out a technique, she uses by using two fingers , pointer finger on the front diopter wheel and second finger on the focuser just behind it. It made control of the focuser less stagy and smoother. But I have no problem with these focusers as they are, I find they snap right in to focus, I’m never hunting for focus. I’d like to hear other users opinions of both the German & Portuguese units, (except Dennis ✌🏼).

Rudimentary findings.

Sharpness:
  1. Habicht
  2. Nikon EDG
  3. Ultravids.
Brightness: all were very bright today.
  1. Habicht
  2. Ultravid 742
  3. EDG
  4. Ultravid 832
Comfort:
  1. EDG
  2. Ultravid 742
  3. Ultravid 832
  4. Habicht
Clarity:
  1. Habicht
  2. EDG
  3. 742 and 832 could not see a difference.

Warmness/color
  1. Ultravids
  2. EDG
  3. Habicht

Thank you
Paul

This entire Leica, Made in Germany or Portugal thread is a non-story. It does not matter at all.
Things have been that way for decades. They are made to very high standards. I like that.
Jerry

This entire Leica, Made in Germany or Portugal thread is a non-story. It does not matter at all.
Things have been that way for decades. They are made to very high standards. I like that.
Jerry
I agree 100% and never noticed any differences the times I tried and used copies of these Leica’s. I just never had multiple copies in hand at the same time. There were a lot of posts over time with differing opinions on this. I’m glad you agree, it’s a non issue. The only thing I can think of for these discrepancies is that some people had a few bad apples.

Paul

I agree with your rudimentary findings. Especially the fact that you have the Habicht #1 on sharpness, brightness and clarity. It is interesting that you found a Habicht 8x30 W brighter in the daytime than a 7x42UVHD. That is quite a difference in exit pupil, but in the daytime transmission matters more than exit pupil. The EDG is a very comfortable binocular to use, with a superb focuser and very comfortable armour. The Habicht's are one of the most color free binoculars out there and have almost perfect white rendering. Having a background in Statistics, I agree, you would have to have a much larger sample size to conclude that there was any difference in quality between Portuguese and German made Leica's.

Leica MIG/MIP observation

I could say one stood out slightly with a lighter focuser on an 8x32 Portugal model. The other three focusers were identical. I find the focusers to be a little less desirable now that the SF’s, NL’s and Noctivids have taken that to a higher level. One of the Leica owners pointed out a technique, she uses by using two fingers , pointer finger on the front diopter wheel and second finger on the focuser just behind it. It made control of the focuser less stagy and smoother. But I have no problem with these focusers as they are, I find they snap right in to focus, I’m never hunting for focus. I’d like to hear other users opinions of both the German & Portuguese units
Paul,

I have three UV+, bought from main dealers in the UK, 10x32 in 2018, 7x42 in 2019 (which I know was sent to me directly from Germany) and a 12x50 in 2020. Checking, they are all stamped made in Germany.

The focus wheels are essentially identical, running freely, lightly and smoothly. The 10x32 has a very slight stiffening towards infinity, but barely noticeable and I have not noticed when using them.
I always place my right hand index finger on my forehead for stability, and use 2nd or/and 3rd fingers for focussing, depending on the haptics. Left hand fingers support under the barrel, thumb under chin.

For me, the most interesting tests at this optical level are for comfort.
Did all seven observers find the EDG most comfortable, more so than the UV 7x42?

Paul,

I have three UV+, bought from main dealers in the UK, 10x32 in 2018, 7x42 in 2019 (which I know was sent to me directly from Germany) and a 12x50 in 2020. Checking, they are all stamped made in Germany.

The focus wheels are essentially identical, running freely, lightly and smoothly. The 10x32 has a very slight stiffening towards infinity, but barely noticeable and I have not noticed when using them.
I always place my right hand index finger on my forehead for stability, and use 2nd or/and 3rd fingers for focussing, depending on the haptics. Left hand fingers support under the barrel, thumb under chin.

For me, the most interesting tests at this optical level are for comfort.
Did all seven observers find the EDG most comfortable, more so than the UV 7x42?
Charleybird

Of the seven on comfort, five said EDG , two said 742 UVHDs. The biggest wow’s came from the EDG’s and the Habicht. I really enjoy the 742 ease of use, so for me it was a surprise how much the EDG’s were liked. The EDG is an amazing optic. These are on par with anything on the market today. I have examples of all the top Alphas and if I had to choose one between the EDG, Ultravid, Noctivid, SF, EL and the NL, it would be a tough choice, that’s how good I think the NIkons are.

Paul

I agree with your rudimentary findings. Especially the fact that you have the Habicht #1 on sharpness, brightness and clarity. It is interesting that you found a Habicht 8x30 W brighter in the daytime than a 7x42UVHD. That is quite a difference in exit pupil, but in the daytime transmission matters more than exit pupil. The EDG is a very comfortable binocular to use, with a superb focuser and very comfortable armour. The Habicht's are one of the most color free binoculars out there and have almost perfect white rendering. Having a background in Statistics, I agree, you would have to have a much larger sample size to conclude that there was any difference in quality between Portuguese and German made Leica's.
I already did if you look at my previous posts and ad the four I just recently tested. That’s 8 samplings and absolutely no difference. It appears it’s your samples and bias that dictate your outcomes. I rest my case. 🙏🏼

I already did if you look at my previous posts and ad the four I just recently tested. That’s 8 samplings and absolutely no difference. It appears it’s your samples and bias that dictate your outcomes. I rest my case. 🙏🏼
Paul:
Just use the ignore option for those you don't care about the drivel they post. It is a good thing.
Jerry

Last edited:
Dennis, post 4,
You tell us that you are an expert in /have a training in statistics and nevertheless you base your far reaching conclusions on two binoculars. And furthermore you try to convince us that Leica-Portugese binocular makers are inferior to the German binocular makers. Apart from the insult to the Portugese Leica employees it is for us as readers in fact non information that does not help anybody in this forum.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back