• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid 10x32 BN vs HD (2 Viewers)

mnegalsor

Sweden
Hi All,

Being an avid outdoorsman living in one of the colder and darker parts of the world (at least during our 8 months of winter) - Sweden.

Today I have a Delta Forest II 8x42 today that I find decent but somewhat large and not enough zoom (weight is not an issue).

Having been on the lookout for a few weeks and read about binos I have come to the conclusion that it will either be the above mentioned in either BN or HD.

I Must say that the rugged look of the old BN is definetly a huge plus but also; is the newer HD still durable enough to carry while doing heavy duty hiking in the deep forests to get up above the tree line here in Sweden or if I should aim for the BN? Just looking at pictures it is like comparing a tank with a bike.

Additional information is prices if it may impact your thougts and recommendations:

The BN seems to fetch rather high prices even when considering the age of the binos (600-700 GBP) - please advice if you know of a good deal on a pair as well :)
The HD I can get brand new for 770 GBP - seems to be a good deal, no?

Kind regards
/Mn

Welcome to Birdforum. UVHD should be durable enough, and of course is lighter than BN. You should also consider Swarovski SLC if available (HD models since 2010), quite similar in many respects.

What altitude is treeline in Sweden? It must be fairly low due to the latitude. In Colorado it's around 11000ft/3300m.

Welcome to Birdforum. UVHD should be durable enough, and of course is lighter than BN. You should also consider Swarovski SLC if available (HD models since 2010), quite similar in many respects.

What altitude is treeline in Sweden? It must be fairly low due to the latitude. In Colorado it's around 11000ft/3300m.
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the input Tenex,

In this case it is the Trinovid HD, not the very fine but too expensive for me UVHDs.

The treeline is at about 1000 meters where I roam, so about 1/3 of Colorado!

Kind

Warm welcome to Birdforum.

Considering your statement of dark, dense forests, I am afraid 10x32 would give you enough brightness for observations. I think it would be wise to consider a 10x42 rather than 10x32, even better a smaller 8x42. I think Swarovski Habicht 10x40 in leatherette (GA is better if the weight is not a problem for you) would be a better choice if it work for your face.

Having been on the lookout for a few weeks and read about binos I have come to the conclusion that it will either be the above mentioned in either BN or HD.
Welcome to Birdforum, fellow Northerner,

Both of your choices are fine binoculars.

The Leica 10x32 BN has been my first quality binocular, it was THE Leica flagship bino back then. In the Trini line it was followed by the Trinovid 2011-2015 model, which has been superseded be the Trinovid HD. I have all three, and must say the Trinovid 2011-2015 model is what I would pick of those three.

Having said that, those who use the HD are very happy with them. The HD's are well built.

The BN crowd (including me), has developed quite a fondness for their "built like a tank" Leica. I just did a price check on TheBay.De, and was rather surprised by the relatively high prices they still garner.

The 2011-2015 are difficult to find.

If I were you, I would get a 10x32HD (or 10x42HD perhaps?) and never look back.

In this case it is the Trinovid HD, not the very fine but too expensive for me UVHDs.
Oops, of course, Trinovid BN vs HD... in that case the other model to be aware of is the one just mentioned by Alaska4me, "Trinovid 42" made from 2011-2015 (before the "HD") with a body similar to UV but lower price. And again, any of these should be durable. You could also consider pre-owned UV or UVHD (non +) if available.

And you said "not enough zoom"... do you now want more magnification? If so, 10x42 would do better in Swedish winters than 10x32.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back