• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 8x20, Nikon 8x30 E II or 8x30 Habicht? (1 Viewer)

Go to swarovski optik choose UK and order from website. Or find retailer somewhat near you and have them order one
Hi,

just went to their site again swiched to UK and found - drumrolls - no 8x30 in rubber...

Anybody has different results?

PS: Also quickly tried older versions of their site in the wayback machine - guess what - 8x30 only in leather for 2018, 2013 and 2008...

Joachim

Hi,

iirc the 8x30 GA IF were military only - I have never seen them sold except quite rarely as surplus. They certainly are not advertised on the website now and I can't remember having seen them there before.

An (also quite rare) FMT-SX in 8x30 might be easier to find and be a better pair...

Joachim, who would keep his E2...
The specific item I ordered was new and as said came from Swarovski, but if I remember it correctly there was a cancelled order from a country in the Middle East so they had/have on stock. Maybe they produce them only at request.

Some images of Thotmosis’ 8x30 W O GA can be seen in post #14 at: Production year Zeiss 8x30 B GA IF / Safari

And from the 2021 Swarovski catalogue for government agencies:

Habicht O GA choices.jpg

The 7x42 is the non-standard long eye relief 'B' version, which has only been offered in the O GA format
(it uses a unique eyepiece that gives longer eye relief and a slighter narrower FOV than the regular 7x42).

John

Must admit that the rubber 8x30's have touched a nerve having used them a few years ago whilst serving in the military. I emailed Swarovski this morning to ask whether it was possible to get a pair with the GA housing. Within 20 minutes they answered thus:

"Thank you for your message and your interest in our products!

Unfortunately, we only offer the Habicht 8X30 with leather armor and not with rubber armor: Habicht (swarovskioptik.com)

We wish we had better news!"

So if you can get a pair.......lucky lucky you!

That's a very tough looking little binocular, minimal big swarro logo's too - what are the markings on the Prism casings?

Your impeccable taste in binoculars continues to delight me Thotmosis.
Thanks, it’s the toughest I have I guess. I will check the markings when I’m back in The Netherlands as im in Sweden now.

Some images of Thotmosis’ 8x30 W O GA can be seen in post #14 at: Production year Zeiss 8x30 B GA IF / Safari

And from the 2021 Swarovski catalogue for government agencies:

View attachment 1522780

The 7x42 is the non-standard long eye relief 'B' version, which has only been offered in the O GA format
(it uses a unique eyepiece that gives longer eye relief and a slighter narrower FOV than the regular 7x42).

John
Thanks John, one of your posts with this catalogue started it all!!

I too have had a reasonably long winded exchange with Swarovski today. It does seem they have the model you have Thotmosis but are unwilling to sell it to me. They seem to be treating it like a top secret piece of military hardware rather than a traditional porro binocular! I've sent an email to my regular dealer to see if they can grease the wheels but may have to have a word with @Gijs van Ginkel if they can't grease the wheels enough!

I too have had a reasonably long winded exchange with Swarovski today. It does seem they have the model you have Thotmosis but are unwilling to sell it to me. They seem to be treatinsecret piece of military hardware rather than a traditional porro binocular! I've sent an email to my regular dealer to see if they can grease the wheels but may have to have a word with @Gijs van Ginkel if they can't grease the wheels enough!
I too have had a reasonably long winded exchange with Swarovski today. It does seem they have the model you have Thotmosis but are unwilling to sell it to me. They seem to be treating it like a top secret piece of military hardware rather than a traditional porro binocular! I've sent an email to my regular dealer to see if they can grease the wheels but may have to have a word with @Gijs van Ginkel if they can't grease the wheels enough!
I have send you a PM

A Hensoldt IF Fero-D16 without the laser filters or reticle is a decent glass if green rubber armor in 8X30 is sought after.

Hi,

indeed a surplus Fero D16 is not too shabby once the recticle and laser filter are gone... but probably not a lot cheaper than a used Habicht (in leather unless you are reallllly lucky) after the cost of the surgery...

For a cheap and cheerful military 8x30 IF option, you can look for a 50s vintage Hensoldt DF 8x30 (high €€ to low €€€ on german ebay for working examples - the 50€ I paid for mine a few years ago were among my better binocular investments... still resides in my glovebox). Obviously single coated and no eye relief (the latter like the Habicht).

Keep away from the Steiner made Fero D12... they are not repairable and not so great.

Or have a look at Holger's page, he had a faible for green rubber armor porros and did test a few back in the days...

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi,

if dual hinge shirt pocket bins are your cup of tea - and they seem to be since you like the shirt pocket trinis - trying the ultravid seems logical. They're phase coated and have more modern multicoatings so will be a tiny bit sharper in center field and a tad brighter. Also a tiny bit bulkier.
Hallo Joachim,
ich schreibe jetzt mal frecherweise auf Deutsch. Das Ultravid hat mich beim heutigen Test zwar nicht wirklich enttäuscht, aber ich hatte mir doch mehr davon versprochen. Da hat die Physik dann doch Grenzen gesetzt. Beim Habicht stört mich die Anfälligkeit gegen Streulicht - das darf in dieser Preisklasse nicht sein. Das Nikon E II scheint ja in dieser Hinsicht deutlich besser zu sein. Was mich etwas stört ist die fehlende Wetterschutz. Ich bin gerade im Winter viel draußen unterwegs und bin etwas in Sorge, dass es bei Schneefall feucht wird.

Hallo Joachim,
ich schreibe jetzt mal frecherweise auf Deutsch. Das Ultravid hat mich beim heutigen Test zwar nicht wirklich enttäuscht, aber ich hatte mir doch mehr davon versprochen. Da hat die Physik dann doch Grenzen gesetzt. Beim Habicht stört mich die Anfälligkeit gegen Streulicht - das darf in dieser Preisklasse nicht sein. Das Nikon E II scheint ja in dieser Hinsicht deutlich besser zu sein. Was mich etwas stört ist die fehlende Wetterschutz. Ich bin gerade im Winter viel draußen unterwegs und bin etwas in Sorge, dass es bei Schneefall feucht wird.
Please English. Welcome to BF.

8X30 E-II easily! One of the few binoculars I've ever owned that surprised me by how good it was and how much I liked it! Small and light with a great optical punch! Huge FOV, bright optics, smooth focus adjustment, and not so expensive.
I agree Chuck, I own all 3, the Nikon EII is the one.
Jerry

Hi,

the E2 is certainly a nice pair, if you can cope with rather short ER (so no or very short glasses when using bins) and the lack of water proofing.

Snow is not too much of a problem, as is a light rain, they come with an ok eyepiece cover. If it starts pouring, I put the E2 in my backpack or inside the (hopefully available) waterproof jacket.

I would be more concerned if I was in high humidity environments (tropical rainforest, maybe english weather) for extended periods of time. The same goes for situations, where immersion is possible, like kayaking (at least when I am kayaking, ymmv ;-)

I had the SE 10x42 (another non-waterproof porro) in tropical environments on occasion and they did not get fungus. Of course, if you come from a strongly air conditioned room or car into hot and moist air outside, they will fog up, for a few minutes. The same can happen only externally to a waterproof pair.
I try to avoid strong air con settings - not only due to my optics... It's a certain recipe for catching a cold in my case...

Joachim

the E2 is certainly a nice pair, if you can cope with rather short ER (so no or very short glasses when using bins) and the lack of water proofing.

Snow is not too much of a problem, as is a light rain, they come with an ok eyepiece cover. If it starts pouring, I put the E2 in my backpack or inside the (hopefully available) waterproof jacket.

I would be more concerned if I was in high humidity environments (tropical rainforest, maybe english weather) for extended periods of time. The same goes for situations, where immersion is possible, like kayaking (at least when I am kayaking, ymmv ;-)
To add to Joachim's list: I certainly wouldn't use it at the coast in stormy conditions. Salt spray isn't really nice to binoculars, and you can't just hold them unter the tap to get all the salt off.

Hermann

Concerning eye relief....

I've had the Habicht in 8X30, 10X40, and 7X42(still have). ER with glasses was unusable with the 8X30 and 10X40. I literally tried ever means possible to make the 8X30s work. Tried different eyecups...one pair had the rubber shaved flat and even tried GA eyecups. Still no-go. I kept the 7X42 even though it does have limited FOV. It DOES have enough ER to work with eyeglasses.

The Nikon E-2 8X30 on the other does DOES have enough ER to work and see the complete FOV with eyeglasses. Just fold down the eyecups as designed and they work perfectly well.

Concerning focus adjustment.....

I've never owned a Habicht where the focus adjustment wasn't too stiff. It's probably not so much of an issue for a general purpose binocular but for a birding binocular it is just not smooth enough.

The E-2 on the other hand, smooth right out of the box.

When it comes to eye relief binoculars must be tried on like shoes. People have different physiognomies (deeper arches or not, more prominent nose or not, etc.). Even the frames of the glasses differ. All these variables require testing in advance!
Here is my experience with Nikon E2 8x30 and Habicht 7x42 regarding eye relief:
-With Nikon E2 8x30, I could see the entire FOV very at the limit. Not relaxed, having to press very hard on the glasses even when folding down the eyecups. (I also tried the Habicht 8x30 version and it has an even smaller eye relief than the Nikon E2)
-With Swarovski Habicht 7x42, I can easily see entire FOV, even a lot of black outside the fieldstop border. It is much more convenient eyerelief

Users who are viewing this thread

Back