• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leicestershire and Rutland Birding/Local Patches (1 Viewer)

Complete list of species seen today on my visit to Rutland water will update later with a complete review of species from each hide and an overall review of the reserve

But for now my complete list of species

Avocet / Black headed gull / Black tailed godwit / Blackbird / Blue tit / Canada goose / Carrion crow / Cetti's warbler / Chaffinch / Chiffchaff / Collared dove / Common gull / Common tern / Coot / Cormorant / Curlew / Dunnock / Egyptian goose / Gadwall / Goldfinch / Great black backed gull / Great crested grebe / Great tit / Green sandpiper / Grey heron / Greylag goose / Herring gull / Hobby / House martin / Jackdaw / Kestrel / lapwing / Lesser black backed gull / Little gull / Little ringed plover / Little white egret / Magpie / Mallard / Mistle thrush / Moorhen / Mute swan / Oystercatcher / Pheasant / Pochard / Reed bunting / Reed warbler / Ringed plover / Sand martin / Sedge warbler / Shelduck / Song thrush / Sparrowhawk / Starling / Stock dove / Swallow / Teal / Tree sparrow / Tufted duck / Whimbrel / Whitethroat &
Wood pigeon

Today’s visit was a last minute job so I was very pleased the weather decided to stay fine and dry all day, arrived just gone 10am, I’d made my mind up I was going to do it differently this time and start at the Redshank hide instead of the Plover hide.

I did have a good look around while I was making my way to the Redshank hide and with the grasses and undergrowth now fully grown it was hard to spot any small birds around but did manage a few these will be in the walk about list at the bottom of the page.

Due to the lack of updates on the Rutland Water Web Site I didn’t know what to expect, not even this web site Latest Leicestershire & Rutland Bird News had given much information out since the regular gentleman had gone on holiday or working away.

As I said earlier I started at the Redshank hide then moved onto the Grebe Hide from there it was the New Bittern Hide after this was the Plover hide then back to the Shoveler hide followed by the Dunlin hide and then the Sandpiper hide from here I visited the Osprey hide before returning to the visitor centre and while I waited for my taxi back to the train station I did the Garden watch point.

On a different point I will not be putting up the locations to which I saw the following chicks/young – Lapwing, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Oystercatcher, Black headed gull, Blue tit, Great crested grebe, Canada goose, Greylag goose and a lifer for me Shelduck chicks x2.

I did see many different types of insect on my way round but unfortunately I am not the best in the world at naming them, but some I do know so here goes – Large white, Red admiral, Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Orange tip, Comma butterflies and Common Blue, Beautiful and Azure Dameselflies

So now onto the Species (63 seen today) from each hide –

SPECIES SEEN TODAY –

WHILE BETWEEN HIDES –

Collared dove, Blue tit, Wood pigeon, Song thrush, Jackdaw, Blackbird, Whitethroat, Dunnock, Chiffchaff, Cetti’s warbler, Mistle thrush, lesser lack backed gull, Black headed gull, Carrion crow, Cormorant & Goldfinch.

REDSHANK HIDE –

Mute swan, Mallard, Swallow, Jackdaw, Wood pigeon, Coot, Tufted duck, Carrion crow, Common tern, Grey heron & Little egret

GREBE HIDE –

Black headed gull, Stock dove, Tufted duck, Little egret, Oystercatcher, Mallard, Coot, Lapwing, Swallow, Blackbird, Carrion crow & Sand martin

[B]NEW BITTERN HIDE [/B]–

Avocet (landed behind the reeds in front to the left), Black headed gull, Tufted duck, Common tern, Great crested grebe, Mute swan, Coot, Reed bunting, Reed warbler, Cormorant & Sedge warbler

PLOVER HIDE –

Mute swan, Great crested grebe, Common tern, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Ringed plover, Lapwing, Carrion crow, Egyptian goose, lesser black backed gull, Jackdaw, Stock dove & little gull

DUNLIN HIDE –

Oystercatcher, Coot, Lapwing, Common tern, Gadwall, Whimbrel, Carrion crow, Jackdaw, Little ringed plover, Great crested grebe, Great black backed gull, Mute swan, Lesser black backed gull, Egyptian goose, Ringed plover & Greylag goose

SHOVELER HIDE –

Common Gull (fly over), Black headed gull, House martin, Sand martin, Moorhen, Shelduck , Tufted duck, Mute swan, Green sandpiper x7, Mallard, Coot, Great crested grebe & Kestrel

SANDPIPER HIDE –

Lapwing, Common tern, Mute swan, Black tailed godwit x4, Curlew x2, Little egret, Lesser black backed gull, Black headed gull, Tufted duck, Little gull x3 & Herring gull (being attacked by common terns)

OSPREY HIDE –

Coot, Mute swan, Hobby, Gadwall, Pochard, Mallard, Tufted duck, Swallow, Sand martin, Blackbird, Common tern & Lapwing

BIRD CENTRE (upstairs viewing) –

Pheasant, Common tern, Jackdaw, Canada goose, Mallard, Great crested grebe, Magpie, Wood pigeon, Cormorant, Goldfinch, Black headed gull, Stock dove, Coot, Grey heron, Swallow, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Shelduck, Black tailed godwit (x33 dropped in), Lesser black backed gull & Starling

GARDEN VIEWING SCREEN –

Jackdaw, Collared dove, Chaffinch, Great tit, House sparrow, Blackbird, Robin, Wood pigeon, Sparrowhawk & Tree sparrow (in the hedge row opposite the car park)

Will be visiting again around September time and will make an effort to visit the following hides Buzzard, Smew, Crake, Mallard, Harrier, Fieldfare, Gadwall, Robin, Goldeneye, Wigeon, Heron, Kingfisher, Oystercatcher, Shelduck, 360, Pintail, Tern & Snipe also the Lyndon side of the reserve as I have never been there and have a few hours on the Dam sometime in the future.

If anyone as visited these hides and can give me advice as to what can be seen this year from them I would be extremely grateful.

Hope you’ve enjoyed my little write up

Adrian

Just been for a mooch around Countesthorpe sewage works. Wasn't expecting much but it was teaming with life, all be it not very rare. Plenty of butterflies (mainly commas and speckled woods) and a hare.

On the birding from around 7-8 Green woodpeckers all in plain view and yelping away, plenty of finches (saw what I thought might have been bullfinch but can't confirm)

Nice area, nobody about and looks relatively under used.

Just been for a mooch around Countesthorpe sewage works. Wasn't expecting much but it was teaming with life, all be it not very rare. Plenty of butterflies (mainly commas and speckled woods) and a hare.

On the birding from around 7-8 Green woodpeckers all in plain view and yelping away, plenty of finches (saw what I thought might have been bullfinch but can't confirm)

Nice area, nobody about and looks relatively under used.

Where is that mate I know countesthorpe but not familiar with the sewage works

Where is that mate I know countesthorpe but not familiar with the sewage works

Hello there!

It's a good lit spot not visible from the road. It's on Countesthorpe Road halfway between South Wigston and Countesthorpe on the left hands side if heading from the former to the latter. Before 'Meadows sportsground there is a layby on the left hand side and directly opposite is a path into the fields - head straight along and you will soon find it!

RUTLAND WATER VISIT 20/07/2013

Arrived around 08.15am after starting out from home at 05.00am an hour earlier than normal due to the weather conditions from the few days before, on arriving found the Visitor Centre closed but did get permit a few hours later and again it was well worth the price.

I didn’t do as many hides as last time and again didn’t visit the hides to the left of the Visitor Centre and went on my way towards the Shoveler hide as this is where most reports of species sightings on the information board had been reported from.

On my way round to the Shoveler hide was a little surprised to see very few birds on the move r sitting/singing in sight but a few butterflies were flying around (unfortunately I am not a butterfly expert) but I couldn’t tell you what they were.

The water level had dropped quite a lot since my last visit and this enabled waders to get a little closer to the hides so identification was a little easier this time, Highlight of today for me was the sighting of a Greenshank from the Plover hide (as this is a Rutland Lifer for me) having missed out on the Pacific Golden Plover earlier this week this made up for it.

The closeness of the Gulls made my favourite (BHG) gull look even better with a few of the juveniles now flying and getting really close to the hides, made watching these guys very interesting and passed away a great hour in no time at all.

Would like to thank a Mr Brain L Kington for the Book that he wrote (Hobbies and other Falcons (Near my Home) a very interesting read and I must admit well worth the price, thank you for the very informative chat as we met up a couple of times in the hides.

On the book front I also purchased a Book from the visitor centre it’s called Rutland Breeding Bird Atlas 2008 – 2011 for a small £9.95 again this looks a very impressive piece of work and thank you t all concerned.

Attachments

• 000_13487 (1).JPG
    000_13487 (1).JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 000_13487 (3).JPG
    000_13487 (3).JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 000_13487 (4).JPG
    000_13487 (4).JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 000_13487 (6).JPG
    000_13487 (6).JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 000_13487 (7).JPG
    000_13487 (7).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 36
RUTLAND WATER VISIT 20/07/2013

TODAYS SIGHTINGS –

AROUND RESERVE –

Jackdaw, Collared dove, Blackbird, Pheasant, Robin, Chaffinch, Carrion crow, Magpie, Dunnock, Song thrush, Cormorant, Chiffchaff, Black headed gull, Wood pigeon, Common tern, Lesser black backed gull & Stock dove

GARDEN AREA –

Blackbird, Great tit, Greenfinch, Blue tit, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Pheasant & Treecreeper

PLOVER HIDE –

Black headed gull, Lapwing, Great black backed gull, Stock dove, Common tern, Mallard, Pied wagtail, Coot, Egyptian goose, Tufted duck, Gadwall, Little egret, Ringed plover, Greenshank, Lesser black backed gull & Little ringed plover

DUNLIN HIDE –

Greylag goose, Lesser black backed gull, Egyptian goose, Lapwing, Jackdaw, Black headed gull, Gadwall, Great black backed gull, Sand martin, Mallard, Great crested grebe, Little egret, Common tern, Mute swan & Little ringed plover

SANDPIPER HIDE –

Oystercatcher, Jackdaw, Lapwing, Black headed gull, Cormorant, Mallard, Common tern, Wood pigeon, Carrion crow, Stock dove, Little gull & Shelduck

OSPREY HIDE –

Common tern, Mute swan, Grey heron, Little egret, Swallow, Blackbird, Wood pigeon, Tufted duck, Stock dove, Reed warbler, Great crested grebe, Lapwing, Coot, Mallard & Black headed gull

VISITOR CENTRE (Upstairs viewing) –

Greenfinch, Wood pigeon, Common tern, Moorhen, Lapwing, Coot, Little egret, Grey heron, Cormorant, Black headed gull, Stock dove, Magpie, Lesser black backed gull, Tufted duck, Starling & Great crested grebe

SHOVELER HIDE –

Pied wagtail, Lapwing, Green sandpiper, Little ringed plover, Black tailed godwit, Ruff, Curlew, Common snipe, Little egret, Black headed gull, Mallard, Great crested grebe, Egyptian goose, Reed warbler, Sand martin, Stock dove, Moorhen, Cormorant, Dunlin, Common tern, Coot, Gadwall, Pochard, Tufted duck, Mute swan, Sedge warbler & Oystercatcher

Next trip will be around late September

Attachments

• 000_13487 (13).JPG
    000_13487 (13).JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 000_13487 (16).JPG
    000_13487 (16).JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 000_13487 (15).JPG
    000_13487 (15).JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 000_13487 (17).JPG
    000_13487 (17).JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 000_13487 (12).JPG
    000_13487 (12).JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 45
Hairstreaks

Sorry for morphing from birds to insects but can anyone point me to guaranteed locations for Purple and WL Hairstreaks near Leicester please? Hoping to get some photo's. thanks Neil

I'm looking to have a mooch around the Charnwood Lodge reserve tomorrow because I've never been and it sounds alright. Anybody go here regularly? Is it worth the trip without permit access because from the LRWT website it sounds like a fair chunk of it is permit access only?

I'm looking to have a mooch around the Charnwood Lodge reserve tomorrow because I've never been and it sounds alright. Anybody go here regularly? Is it worth the trip without permit access because from the LRWT website it sounds like a fair chunk of it is permit access only?

The open heathland is mainly open access land but this does not include any fields or the woodland. There is a waymarked path around the reserve that you are recommended to follow.

It is not particularly good for birds at this time of year. You might get lucky and find a few Crossbills (I have not yet this year) or see a fly-over Raven or Peregrine.

Purple Hairstreaks are widespread.

Parking is best at Warren Hills if you are arriving by car and not a LRWT member.

Steve

The open heathland is mainly open access land but this does not include any fields or the woodland. There is a waymarked path around the reserve that you are recommended to follow.

It is not particularly good for birds at this time of year. You might get lucky and find a few Crossbills (I have not yet this year) or see a fly-over Raven or Peregrine.

Purple Hairstreaks are widespread.

Parking is best at Warren Hills if you are arriving by car and not a LRWT member.

Steve

Cheers for this Steve, I'll probably have a drive up and give it a go - I'm mainly going with the hope of seeing a passing Raven as I've had a few reports from a lady that lives on the edge of the reserve who says she's seen a pair hanging around for quite a while so I'm going to go and check it out.

Certainly won't turn down the chance to see a Crossbill or two either! I'm a bit of a butterfly buff too so it won't be a complete waste of my time if there isn't much happening!

Thanks,

Gav

Sorry for morphing from birds to insects but can anyone point me to guaranteed locations for Purple and WL Hairstreaks near Leicester please? Hoping to get some photo's. thanks Neil

Try Cloud Wood for WL Hairstreaks. I had few last weekend whilst looking for orchids. The best place for them is near the metal gate entrance on the north side of the wood. Also look out for Silver washed Fritillary, as one has been reported in this area!
For Purple Hairstreaks try Swithland Reservoir Kinchley Lane, by the stonewall viewpoint. As I have seen them in the trees opposite the wall.
Hope this helps?

Cheers,
Dave.

Try Cloud Wood for WL Hairstreaks. I had few last weekend whilst looking for orchids. The best place for them is near the metal gate entrance on the north side of the wood. Also look out for Silver washed Fritillary, as one has been reported in this area!
For Purple Hairstreaks try Swithland Reservoir Kinchley Lane, by the stonewall viewpoint. As I have seen them in the trees opposite the wall.
Hope this helps?

Cheers,
Dave.
Thanks Dave. I've been checking old elm stands for WLH in south Leics with no luck so I'll have a go tomorrow. Cheers Neil

Last edited:
Cheers for this Steve, I'll probably have a drive up and give it a go - I'm mainly going with the hope of seeing a passing Raven as I've had a few reports from a lady that lives on the edge of the reserve who says she's seen a pair hanging around for quite a while so I'm going to go and check it out.

Certainly won't turn down the chance to see a Crossbill or two either! I'm a bit of a butterfly buff too so it won't be a complete waste of my time if there isn't much happening!

Thanks,

Gav

Well, no Crossbills unfortunately or Raven but I did get a good view of Peregrine Falcon so was worth the trip! Quite a few Purple Haristreaks and plenty of other butterfly's for those interested.

Thanks,

Gav

Hi all,

I'll soon be moving to Mountsorrel, just north of Leicester. Just wondering if there are any decent sites near by that I could turn into a local patch. Preferably within a 15 minute drive. I've already got Watermead pegged as a possibility, but anywhere else?

Thanks

Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back