• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz: Alphas from yesteryear, still in use today. (1 Viewer)

I like your thinking, I would love to try a 6x24 someday. I've learned they are very good.
You have a very nice collection, I have the 7x35 and 10x40.
Thanks for posting, I like the older optics, like the Trinovids and the Dialyts, they are not far
off the new versions, except for transmission.
Jerry

Hello,

Here is an old favourite:

Binuxit 8x30.jpg
a Leitz binuxit from 1951. Good enough for daytime use, even with its short eye relief.

Here is my lightest 7x50, a Leitz beh Porro II from WWII, which was denazified. Good for stargazing, as my yacht is still in dry dock :):
BEH II.JPG

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Mr. Cleese, is that really you? Didn't recognize you in those clogs. How is Manuel these days?

And how sweet are those old roofies without phase coating?
Very sweet, ofcourse not as bright as contemporary roofs but to my eyes very usable as a day to day binocular.
But you have to find a good one, they are old so good ones without haze etc will be harder to find than a new Retrovid.
My 7x35 is stellar but the 6x24 could use an internal cleaning as in one of the tubes i detected some haze.

Last edited:
Also i have only experience with the above mentioned models, the 7x35B has a 5mm exit pupil and i can imagine that with models with a smaller exit pupil the difference with newer models is more pronounced. But again ofcourse its an oldie so don’t expect the brightest image that the latest and greatest have. They still rock though!

I wonder how sweet those old roofies really are without phasecoating.
I think I got pretty lucky with the ones I have and the worst they do is when used in direct comparison with an Ultravid or my Curio, but still the older 6x24 was my preferred binocular at a recent concert, due mainly to the full stage coverage.

The biggest difference with the newest version of the 6x24 is a little more brightness and contrast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back