• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens advice please (1 Viewer)

jtgriffs

United Kingdom
Hello, I have recently decided to take up bird photography in my receding years and wondered if I could ask some advice on lens choice. I have just purchased a Nikon D7100 and I am looking for a decent lens to get me started. Budget after the camera is very limited and I have realised I am for the moment stuck in the realm of 300mm zooms. Ideally through my own research I would prefer a Nikon AF-P 70-300 DX VR, however having tried to find one on that well known auction site they all seem to stretch a little beyond my budget. The AF-S version doesn't seem to come much cheaper. However I see many Tamron and Sigma lenses at more affordable prices though I am aware again they may not come up to the standards of the Nikon choices in auto focus speed and sharpness but wondered if people could share their experience knowledge in this area. Whilst online reviews are helpful I always believe there is no better proof than experience. I am sure these lenses are not that bad if combined with careful settings and caveats in use and it comes down to other factors in use such as lighting, iso and aperture selection. One thing I am concerned about is vibration reduction as that again is a feature that attracted me to the Nikon offerings.

To help my hopes are to be able to capture birds in flight as well as perched. I would welcome anyone's help with this decision. Also before anyone mentions a larger lens would be better, I know but that option is off the table at the moment due to budget, I just want to find something to get me started this year whilst I start refilling the piggy bank.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I wish you lived closer to me. I have one of these lenses:

It's in excellent condition and I also have the older, compatible 1.4X teleconverter (TC-14E II). I need to sell it to someone and I would love to let it go for a bargain price to someone like you. It's hard to believe that lens is apparently still in production (?). I think it was introduced ~20 years ago. But one reason might be that it was an enormously popular great lens (look online and you'll easily find loads of rave reviews for it). Anyway, because it's been around for so long, it shouldn't be too hard to find a used one closer to you to try out with your D7100. Maybe it will still be beyond your budget, but I do think it might be a better option than the various zoom options with variable maximum aperture. I do recommend trying to pick up the teleconverter for it if you can.

Good luck to you!
Dave

Last edited:
The Tamron & Sigma 150-600s are great lenses and would be a fine choice for you imo. You can find great deals on them second hand. But be careful where you buy. Nikonians and Fred Miranda forums have proven safe places for me to purchase used gear. I'd feel safe here also but there is not much traffic in the buy/sell. I have both the contemporary and G2 Tamron, and use them on D7200 & D500 bodies. You'll quickly realize that 300mm is not enough reach.

Yes, I should have added that most of us find 300mm is not enough reach, even with a 1.4X teleconverter. Saving up for a used Tamron or Sigma 150-600 might be the best way to go... VR is helpful also, especially if you plan to hand-hold, but with something as large as the 150-600 lenses, I'd recommend having the option to use a tripod or at least a monopod.

Dave

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk have a wide range of secondhand lenses for sale. I have bought a few items from them in the past, and always been very satisfied. Worth a look. Their stock changes regularly and comes with a short warrenty period (3 months?). You should be able to pick up a Sigma/Tamron 150-600 at a reasonable price. This should give you enough reach, without having to resort to using a converter.

I can echo the posters here. The Sigma and Tamron 150-600 variations are pretty good, and i've used both , in 2 guises. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tamrons, and Sigma non-sport and now my current Sigma Sport.

If you would like to see any birds i've captured with these lenses .. see attched pics.

Gen 1 Tamron : Whitethroat and Black Headed Gull ( both hand held )

Sigma Sport : Long Tailed Tit

Whitethroat 3.jpg

BHG Inflight.jpg

LTT.jpg

I have owned the Tamron 150-600 gen 1 and gen 2 and my current 150-600 Sigma Contemporary is my favorite all-around bird lens. It is light and tack sharp.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back