• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lenscoat questions (1 Viewer)

Weiss1

Well I haven't bought anything in a while.
I think my Gear Acquisition Syndrome is picking up again because i'm actually considering getting a Lenscoat for my 300/2.8.

Just have a few questions about them for owners:

Is it worth getting the teleconverter coats as well and does the 1.4x fit the Kenko 1.4x extender?
If it's 30 degrees and sunny am I likely to regret using a Lenscoat?
Do you find it has any camouflaging effect? Mostly for birds but if less people approach me to talk about gear that would be nice.

@Weiss1

I have used Lenscoats in Morocco, India & Indonesia in 30 degree heat and have never regretted using them. I also have the Lenscoats for my Canon convertors, although the TCs are small they protect them. I use Lenscoats mainly as protection for the lenses rather than for their camouflage effect, however they do help when using them from a hide.

As for the Kenko TC I don't use them so can't comment.

Mark - do you (or anyone else) have any experience of these neoprene covers and how they compare to the lenscoat? They are significantly cheaper and appear to be more readily available. So what it the downside, if any?

Michael

@mikenott,

I'm not so sure about your claim that the WWS cover are more readily available than the LensCoat ones, I've never had a problem getting what I want from LensCoat.

The main difference that I can see is that the WWS are fabric coated neoprene on both sides (certainly on the one that I have), unlike the LensCoat which has the bare neoprene facing the lens.. This means that there is less movement of the covering whilst on the lens.

I'm sure that they both do as equally well at protecting the lens though.

There is only one LensCoat

Hi,

There are many differences between LensCoat's and others, like the type and quality of neoprene being used, the backing as Chris mentioned, the type of quality of the stitching and thread, the custom fitting and what controls are exposed and easily accessible, the patterns/color choices etc.

There's a lot to making a proper fitting LensCoat and whether it's a teleconverter or 1200mm lens, LensCoat requires that the original pattern is made with the lens in hand not just measurements that via email or phone. LensCoats allows you to see your scales and gives you full access to your controls.You can see how a LensCoat gets it's start with video of the making of a LensCoat for the Canon 1200mm f5.6

LensCoat offers nearly 100 covers for Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Sigma, Sony, Olympus, Tamron lenses, covers for camera bodies, Hoodie Lens Caps, gimbal heads, tripods, flashes and pouches plus a whole lot more.

LensCoat has over 50 dealers worldwide Dealer List In the UK Warehouse Express and LensCoat ships worldwide with 3 different carries offering 8 different shipping options.

There is only one LensCoat.

I am not just a professional wildlife photographer, I also own the company |:D|.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I am not just a professional wildlife photographer, I also own the Company

Well, who'd have guessed? My adblocker nearly deleted your post ;)

Nah, it's really good to see somebody justifiably proud of their products. And the advertising worked, just been to your site and seen you do a cover for my gimbal (BWG-HD2) but WeX don't seem to stock it. Any other UK suppliers? I also like the look of the BodyBag for added protection when travelling.

Last edited:
Any other UK suppliers?

Warehouse Express is our only UK dealer at this time. They are an excellent dealer and stock most of our products. From time to time you may come across an item they don't have but they are very customer responsive, if you contact them they can usually bring the item in fairly quickly.

If you don't want to wait LensCoat keeps stock of ALL of there products and we ship worldwide, even to the UK |;|

Are these actually waterproof, e.g. water beads off and is not soaked up? I have using McNett Camo wrap around my lenses which is great for fair weather days. But it gets wet forcing me to spend more time than I want carefully unwrapping/drying/rewrapping a lens.

Are these actually waterproof, e.g. water beads off and is not soaked up? I have using McNett Camo wrap around my lenses which is great for fair weather days. But it gets wet forcing me to spend more time than I want carefully unwrapping/drying/rewrapping a lens.

That is a good question, not all foam rubber/neoprene is waterproof. The neoprene that LensCoat uses is waterproof so water will not penetrate material nor does it act like a sponge. Water can still get on your lens in the exposed parts and it is possible though not likely through seams or stitching but the vast majority of your lens surface is protected from moisture and the elements.

I have been wanting to order a LensCoat for my Canon 300mm f/4 L IS - Realtree Advantage Max4 HD for a few weeks from the sole UK supplier (WarEx) but it is still on backorder. Hence my comment on availability and suppliers. Hopefully, it might be in stock soon.....

Michael.

I have been wanting to order a LensCoat for my Canon 300mm f/4 L IS - Realtree Advantage Max4 HD for a few weeks from the sole UK supplier (WarEx) but it is still on backorder. Hence my comment on availability and suppliers. Hopefully, it might be in stock soon.....

Michael.

I use both lenscoat and WWS neoprene covers, both are well made and seem to do the job well. I agree that the backing on the lenscoat makes it less likely to move, but it's not really and issue with the WWS cover either. Many find that the window over the controls on the lenscoat cover is a pain, I know a number of users who have cut it out as they found it difficult to use the switches. With the WWS cover goes over the controls but it easy to slip a finger in to move the switches - pros and cons to both systems. The WWS covers are a bit cheaper and come with covers for TCs included (which is handy), they are also made from thicker neoprene. http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/ definitely worth a look, having used both I'd definitely recommend them.

I really like the cover over the controls as it means I don't change them accidentally, which used to happen quite a bit.

Michael.

@mikenott

unless you have ordered from WE I would go direct to LensCoat direct. Very easy to deal with and process your quickly too. Many photo dealers wait until they have met the postage paid minimum order criteria before ordering from suppliers so this may the case with the 300/4

Hi,

There are many differences between LensCoat's and others, like the type and quality of neoprene being used, the backing as Chris mentioned, the type of quality of the stitching and thread, the custom fitting and what controls are exposed and easily accessible, the patterns/color choices etc.

There's a lot to making a proper fitting LensCoat and whether it's a teleconverter or 1200mm lens, LensCoat requires that the original pattern is made with the lens in hand not just measurements that via email or phone. LensCoats allows you to see your scales and gives you full access to your controls.You can see how a LensCoat gets it's start with video of the making of a LensCoat for the Canon 1200mm f5.6

LensCoat offers nearly 100 covers for Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Sigma, Sony, Olympus, Tamron lenses, covers for camera bodies, Hoodie Lens Caps, gimbal heads, tripods, flashes and pouches plus a whole lot more.

LensCoat has over 50 dealers worldwide Dealer List In the UK Warehouse Express and LensCoat ships worldwide with 3 different carries offering 8 different shipping options.

There is only one LensCoat.

I am not just a professional wildlife photographer, I also own the company |:D|.

Cheers,
Scott,

I have a lenscoat on my canon 500mm f4 IS and i'm not massively impressed. You may use top quality neoprene, but all of the sections of my lens coat are a quarter of an inch short meaning i have had to cover the exposed white canon paint with camo tape! Perhaps i got a bad one but not great seeing as the are not exactly cheap.

Kevin,

Perhaps you did get a dud copy. I have used LensCoat for 6 years on both my Sigma 500/4.5 and Canon 500/4 and they have fitted perfectly.

All mine have fitted fine, sometimes a bit snug and tough to get on, but I'd rather that than the other way around. On one lens cover the see-through plastic panel went all yellowy and stiff over time, so I cut it out.

does anyone have experience of the stealth lens covers as i am interested in getting one of the coz i like the english oak colour they do.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back