• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of The Lowes Ospreys 2010 (5 Viewers)

our old male ,homeric, would probably have stepped up to the mark. He was a more serious osprey if you get my drift. He was like a machine. He fed marge last year so i think he would have fed the chicks too. Her maternal instinct is so strong though she doesn't like the males doing it . . Until now when she knows she needs help. For what its worth i think marge liked homeric but she likes oor frank even more. Us that know her can see how relaxed she is and how the nagging has somewhat died down. I.m so glad she found him and chose him. I wasn't at first because he was harum scarum but he.s more than proved himself. As for Marge. She tends to leave mid to late august although last year she was even earlier. Last years thread is at the bottom of this page. In fact there's a few years. Its interesting reading.

our old male ,homeric, would probably have stepped up to the mark. He was a more serious osprey if you get my drift. He was like a machine. He fed marge last year so i think he would have fed the chicks too. Her maternal instinct is so strong though she doesn't like the males doing it . . Until now when she knows she needs help. For what its worth i think marge liked homeric but she likes oor frank even more. Us that know her can see how relaxed she is and how the nagging has somewhat died down. I.m so glad she found him and chose him. I wasn't at first because he was harum scarum but he.s more than proved himself. As for Marge. She tends to leave mid to late august although last year she was even earlier. Last years thread is at the bottom of this page. In fact there's a few years. Its interesting reading.

Thanks Ann and Delia for your responses - its like being back at school for me, but this time I am loving it.

Can some of the seasoned watchers answer a couple of questions please. What time of year does this female tend to leave Scotland to migrate, and the other is - if this situation had happened last year, when she had her usually mate, how do you think he would have reacted to the situation.

I must admit last night when she took off - I felt so proud of her. She, and she alone had made the decision, and no matter what the outcome would have been it was her choice which I really admired. I wish her well as much as anyone, but I am mindful of the old saying 'be careful what you wish for' - All I want is, whatever is best for this magnificent Osprey

The females normally leave in early August. There was a year (2004) when EJ at Loch Garten left about 31 July before her third chick had fledged.

The males normally stay on until the last juvenile has migrated. However last year at Loch Garten Odin did not wait until the chicks migrated and he left before EJ as did OVS in 2008.

I would have thought that Eric would have coped if this had happened to him.

Of course in 2005 OVS was left with two chicks when his mate disappeared. Not surprisingly he did not do well and the chicks were brought to Rutland in the translocation that year.

ross!!!! Just looked at your pictures. You got him catching a fish yay!! I felt so bad having seen it and you not lol. I can't praise your work high enough. Gonna link it on the blog. Thanks for the avatar. In fact all the photographers on here are brilliant and not just the osprey pictures. My dad was a fireman and was involved in a tragic accident that killed the other driver while he was on duty. Afterwards he couldn't return to fighting fires so they made him brigade photographer. He had a gift for taking photos too. With the right equipment its something i think i could do.

The females normally leave in early August. There was a year (2004) when EJ at Loch Garten left about 31 July before her third chick had fledged.

The males normally stay on until the last juvenile has migrated. However last year at Loch Garten Odin did not wait until the chicks migrated and he left before EJ as did OVS in 2008.

Of course in 2005 OVS was left with two chicks when his mate disappeared. Not surprisingly he did not do well and the chicks were brought to Rutland in the translocation that year.

ovs lost his mate? I did not know this. Thats so sad.

Yes I think that his mate Green 7B disappeared in 2005 with chicks in the nest. They were found to be starving so they were brought to Rutland.

I am surprised that they were allowed to remove them fgrom the nest as Peter said that that would not happen in this nest if Marge had died and Frank abandoned them, I am glad they were removed of course

I do thank you all for the information you are providing. I like it on here - its very comfortable and friendly

I am surprised that they were allowed to remove them fgrom the nest as Peter said that that would not happen in this nest if Marge had died and Frank abandoned them, I am glad they were removed of course

the swt and rspb are similar organisations with huge differences if that makes sense. Swt is hands off . . . until this year when they are seeking permission from the head office to tag the chicks. There has been no decision about ringing the chicks either. They used to do it but stopped several years ago.

aw thanks :). Its a very good forum. Check out the other parts of it too. Some cracking pictures and loads of information.

I will do Ann - I already have Ross's website on my favourites from the other week, that is truly beautiful. I think its time I considered retiring from work now - need more time to doing nice things for a change.

Glad to hear that Marge/Lady is getting on really well now that she has got over the weekend and a great Big Thanks to the team up in the Loch Of Lowes for their dedication in sitting up all night watching for any signs of recovery..

I would like to make a Donation to help out and would appreciate if anyone can give me any idea as to the cost of the Satellite tracking device thta is fitted to the babies or the running of the Web Cam.If it is not too expensive then I would like to support both but might end up just Donating to the Satellite tracking.

Thanks in Advance :t:

I have just noticed on the LOTL site the Team have said that they will not be fitting trackers to this year's chicks. However, I understand that this additional trauma would not be appropriate after what has happened. That is of course if that is the reason, or maybe just too late now. I do feel it a shame that these chicks will not be tagged either, as I would just like to have known if these particular chicks, above any, would return to our shores one day. I say this purely because of the story that has surrounded their little lives.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back