• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of The Lowes Ospreys 2010 (2 Viewers)

I am surprised that they were allowed to remove them fgrom the nest as Peter said that that would not happen in this nest if Marge had died and Frank abandoned them, I am glad they were removed of course

Saturday 23 July
Three more chicks arrived from Scotland and joined the others on Lax Hill. This is a pair of orphans, 7R and 7S, one female and one male. Roy Dennis has been monitoring this nest regularly and became concerned when the adult female disappeared. He applied for a variation of the licence so that, in this exceptional case, both chicks could be brought to Rutland. There were now 10 Osprey chicks being held in the pens on Lax Hill.

Here is the reference. See http://www.ospreys.org.uk/Archives/Update2005.7.htm

Also see p24 "Life of Ospreys" by Roy Dennis

the only problem with that is the loch was frozen solid for a week or two. I think she only goes to spain or france which is still far away but not as far as africa. She may just stay around a bit longer before heading south. She is always an early leaver.

What makes you think Marge only goes to Spain or France Ann?

What makes you think Marge only goes to Spain or France Ann?

we.ll never know for sure where she goes but some ospreys definitely spend their winters in the med. Not all fly further down. The way a few of us think like that is that she.s always early and she.s always been in excellent shape when she.s arrived. I.ve asked at the centre and they've said its possible. Of course we.ll never know but it certainly makes you think.

Hi Delia,Thanks for the link to the SWT site and the warm welcome to the forum :t:

I have had a quick look at the donation bit and will get my hubby to do the tax bit as I am a house wife so don't work,so as he is the tax payer in the family he can help them out even more with what they can claim back from the tax man and every little helps so they say :-O

Hi Sally Henny Penny,Thanks for the info regarding the tagging,I have just found it in the comments section.I have looked at the link for Toby's fundraising efforts so will probably donate through the just giving bitI don't blame them for not wanting to disturbe the nest after all that they have gone through.

Thanks for your help :cool:

Last edited:
we.ll never know for sure where she goes but some ospreys definitely spend their winters in the med. Not all fly further down. The way a few of us think like that is that she.s always early and she.s always been in excellent shape when she.s arrived. I.ve asked at the centre and they've said its possible. Of course we.ll never know but it certainly makes you think.

Thanks. No I realise they don't all go to to Africa but just wondered why you thought that in Marge's case.

Just made it a catnap then, Ann?! lol
Still playing catch up with the blog! Think the nerves and emotions have settled a little since yesterday, and trying to be careful what i wish for re Marje's recovery - i never thought i'd be saying i believe in miracles, but after yesterday?........................Anyway, it does the poor heart good to see her feeding her chicks, and how they've changed again - ever more like young ospreys! Huge pat on the back for superdad!! B :)
I like the idea of getting the beeb to do a documentary - i think Simon King would be perfect, i hope it's something they'd go for and there's an absolute guaranteed audience!

another small fish at 19.45. Chicks eating again!! Wish they'd let mum have some. Her feathers are so shiny in the sun. She truly is beautiful. I.ve been told her last toilet break was a much stronger one. We assume that when she goes flying off she.s fine but she obviously isn't. The last one was watched by Rinchen and it was much better. Another small step. :)

Gift Aid is it relevant to SWT

I wonder if those of us who give to Charity could count SWT as a Charity - and register our giving under Gift Aid. Do you happen to know anything about this Ann?

Hi Delia,Thanks for the link to the SWT site and the warm welcome to the forum :t:

I have had a quick look at the donation bit and will get my hubby to do the tax bit as I am a house wife so don't work,so as he is the tax payer in the family he can help them out even more with what they can claim back from the tax man and every little helps so they say :-O

Hi Sally Henny Penny,Thanks for the info regarding the tagging,I have just found it in the comments section.I have looked at the link for Toby's fundraising efforts so will probably donate through the just giving bitI don't blame them for not wanting to disturbe the nest after all that they have gone through.

Thanks for your help :cool:

Kielder ospreys

We've been to Kielder today, and were able to watch their osprey family - three chicks - on the webcam in various places.
The chicks are doing well, although not as large as LoL chicks.This is the second year for the ospreys in Northumberland, and we are immensely proud of them.

Having said that, I hold the LoL family close to my heart; this week-end has been so dramatic. The photograph in today's Telegraph showed Lady almost near to death! But miracles can happen, and it's a joy to see her active on the nest again. Fingers crossed that she'll gather strength.

We've been to Kielder today, and were able to watch their osprey family - three chicks - on the webcam in various places.
The chicks are doing well, although not as large as LoL chicks.This is the second year for the ospreys in Northumberland, and we are immensely proud of them.

Having said that, I hold the LoL family close to my heart; this week-end has been so dramatic. The photograph in today's Telegraph showed Lady almost near to death! But miracles can happen, and it's a joy to see her active on the nest again. Fingers crossed that she'll gather strength.

oh no a big wriggler!! June i put a link for your kites on the blog today. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back