• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of The Lowes Ospreys 2010 (1 Viewer)

Rinchen the bearded chap Ann? If so agree never formally met as he is always chatting and moving camera. Guess there will be a fair number on the move but you never know she is hopefully well on her way :)

No thats stephen. Rinchen is canadian, wears glasses and was in the back room mostly on the blog that day we were there. He had also done the osprey walk.

but stephen is great too. He's the one convinced the chick caught the fish. He was on the nest cam and replayed what i'd seen outside and clarified as i thought an adult had brought the fish but it hadn't. The chick appeared with the fish from the other end of the loch.

Thabks Ann, guess I am to busy watching what is going on to meet the team.
Not a bird in sight but looking out over loch with cam1 and its beautiful up there today.

is it a good sign that this thread has went very quiet. I think it is :). Both chicks have been defending their nest this morning from corvids and dad has been delivering fish. All is well on the nest.

is it a good sign that this thread has went very quiet. I think it is :)..

This time partially agree Ann it is a good sign in that the thread is at its busiest when things are either going very well 'egg laid', 'hatched' (good thing) or when things are desperate 'the illness' (bad thing). However I am afraid that this time it is a sign that these chicks have made it (good thing), most of the action is off camera and the season is nearly over but even with the trauma its been great, more so for you and Nick contributing as you did to the 'blog'. I have been reading this, as and when, but never contributed but it has been an amazing year with such response to SWT, LoTL team and 'our' Marge:t:

Again the issues surrounding these birds and indeed other wildlife being publicised in this way only brings more like minded folk together across the world and this can only be a good thing. Do we belong on the 'birds of prey' forum? Yes I think we do, but if not OK as we do make it a bit of a 'soap', maybe a seperate web cam forum would be better up to moderators I guess.

However the birds are the main characters and while I normally do not like humanising wildlife if it brings this amount of attention to them and indeed pleasure to us then I certainly prefer our 'soap' to others that are available!

Oops this sounds like a farewell until next year but we still have a week or 2 left, is it time for next virtual bet - when will the the last bird go?

This time partially agree Ann it is a good sign in that the thread is at its busiest when things are either going very well 'egg laid', 'hatched' (good thing) or when things are desperate 'the illness' (bad thing). However I am afraid that this time it is a sign that these chicks have made it (good thing), most of the action is off camera and the season is nearly over but even with the trauma its been great, more so for you and Nick contributing as you did to the 'blog'. I have been reading this, as and when, but never contributed but it has been an amazing year with such response to SWT, LoTL team and 'our' Marge:t:

Again the issues surrounding these birds and indeed other wildlife being publicised in this way only brings more like minded folk together across the world and this can only be a good thing. Do we belong on the 'birds of prey' forum? Yes I think we do, but if not OK as we do make it a bit of a 'soap', maybe a seperate web cam forum would be better up to moderators I guess.

However the birds are the main characters and while I normally do not like humanising wildlife if it brings this amount of attention to them and indeed pleasure to us then I certainly prefer our 'soap' to others that are available!

Oops this sounds like a farewell until next year but we still have a week or 2 left, is it time for next virtual bet - when will the the last bird go?

Hi Tom, very well said - obviously as it's my first season, i've taken my lead re posting from others, and whilst many dislike the more informal way in which some of us post, i think there's room and scope for all of us, after all we have a common interest, but derive our pleasure from it in different ways.
A little understanding of our differing views across the board would perhaps benefit us all too!
As it is approaching the season's end i'd like to repeat my earlier thanks to you and Ann in particular, and to all our American and Canadian watchers - collectively you have made this such an unforgettable experience for my first, and DEFINITELY not last, time!! And thanks also to Delia, for first making me so welcome on the forum, and for patience in indulging me a little - many thanks Delia!! :t:

Ok Tom, I'll stick an amateur's Caol Ila on 26th August, just for interest! B :)B :)

Our Visit to Loch of the Lowes

We made it!! Travelled north from Ponteland to an excellent Farmstay B&B in East Calder on Sunday and then on to another excellent B&B in Birnam on Monday. We called in each day at LoL.

The weather wasn't wonderful, but I did manage to see the Laird and the two chicks each day.
Missed Emma but met Vols and Stephen and then I persuaded Rinchen to pose for a Birdforum piccie! It was good to meet folk whose Blogs we have so enjoyed over the past months.

My pics are taken with my Olympus SP550UZ using the 18x zoom, so not as sharp as with a high-powered Camera and Zoom. The one of the Osprey family was taken from the screen, when Stephen showed that particular clip.

A lot of people visiting the Centre, which is good. Sorry we didn't meet on this occasion, Ann!!

Attachments

• Rinchen at LoL.jpg
    Rinchen at LoL.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Osprey family.jpg
    Osprey family.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Osprey-male.jpg
    Osprey-male.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 64
  • Osprey-male---chick8.jpg
    Osprey-male---chick8.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 79
We made it!! Travelled north from Ponteland to an excellent Farmstay B&B in East Calder on Sunday and then on to another excellent B&B in Birnam on Monday. We called in each day at LoL.

The weather wasn't wonderful, but I did manage to see the Laird and the two chicks each day.
Missed Emma but met Vols and Stephen and then I persuaded Rinchen to pose for a Birdforum piccie! It was good to meet folk whose Blogs we have so enjoyed over the past months.

My pics are taken with my Olympus SP550UZ using the 18x zoom, so not as sharp as with a high-powered Camera and Zoom. The one of the Osprey family was taken from the screen, when Stephen showed that particular clip.

A lot of people visiting the Centre, which is good. Sorry we didn't meet on this occasion, Ann!!

Great pics June, and a face to at least one name! :t:

aw june sounds like you be a great holiday. Isn't rinchen just the best? Always very pleasant and a true asset to the SWT. All the staff and vols i.ve met are brilliant. Did you tell them about your work with the red kites?

Another Osprey Addict!!

Yes, we really had a lovely time. I had a long chat with Rinchen (whereabouts in Canada is he from?) about our Red Kites and promised to arrange a Safari if he ventured south to our neck of the woods. I also left a book about our Northern Kites Project and several leaflets about our Friends of Red Kites Group, for them to have a look at.

On our way north, we stopped at the Forestry Commission Glentress Centre, for a bite to eat (it was heaving with cyclists!) and spoke to the chap there. He mentioned that Emma had spent two years there before moving to LoL. Their nest was empty, so we saw nothing on screen, but all seemed to have been well with their nest (and another even more secret one somewhere!).

Tuesday was wet, so we decided to go for a train ride to Inverness and back on a Day Return! It was brilliant and cost less than we had dared hope! We set out in rain, but sat in blazing sunshine in Inverness, having a snack at Pizza Express :)

One more pic - of a chick on the nest. Again taken with my little zoom, so not up to professional standarrds, by a long chalk. But it's a happy reminder of the little fella growing and eating apace. Notice the webcam in the top left-hand corner. Clever isn't it!

aw june sounds like you be a great holiday. Isn't rinchen just the best? Always very pleasant and a true asset to the SWT. All the staff and vols i.ve met are brilliant. Did you tell them about your work with the red kites?

Attachments

• Osprey-chick-on-nest-_2010.jpg
    Osprey-chick-on-nest-_2010.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
One more pic - of a chick on the nest. Again taken with my little zoom, so not up to professional standarrds, by a long chalk. But it's a happy reminder of the little fella growing and eating apace. Notice the webcam in the top left-hand corner. Clever isn't it!
Glad you had a good time June only problem with Scotland is the lack of blue sky but when it shows, it cannot be beaten IMHO so we need the rain though. to keep the colour. Great photos from your little camera and now I know who Rinchen is.

Well that's a decent excuse for a Laphroaig or three, i think, regardless of the virtual bet!! lol B :)

No sure about this site of 'virtual' - old, gambling, alcoholics that watch birds but eh I will settle for a laphroaig or 3 along with Ann's brother and yourselves of course B :)

No sure about this site of 'virtual' - old, gambling, alcoholics that watch birds but eh I will settle for a laphroaig or 3 along with Ann's brother and yourselves of course B :)

And don.t forget Edinburgh's famous son who's birthday you also share. Big Tam aka Sir Sean Connery. He'll have a tipple of something a bit expensive i imagine. :)

I'll go for August 28th, I don't think that date is taken yet?
Thanks for the report and especially for the photos, June, wish I could have been there too! Two years ago during my visit to Dunkeld I even took a day trip on the train to Inverness! I really enjoyed it, too. I took the walk along the river through the beautiful park with the wrought iron Victorian (I think? or Edwardian?) bridges and interesting carved wooden benches. And it was a lovely train ride there and back. This was in November, and I saw a lot of rabbits running through backyards. I'm sure I must have seen plenty of pheasants also, they're all over the place!
I'm glad you had such a wonderful holiday and that you got such great photos. Thanks for posting them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back