• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking pocket bino no Alpha but waterproff. (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,

I am looking for information about some pocket bino, not Alpha but with good quality and without blackout problems, and with a waterproof system, the one intended for a trip where sand, wind and salt water will be their closest companions, (I have messed up 2 binos not waterproff for that reason) all your opinions will be welcome.
It has to be an 8x because the 10x shakes me a lot..
Thank you so much.
Pepito

Hello,

I am looking for information about some pocket bino, not Alpha but with good quality and without blackout problems, and with a waterproof system, the one intended for a trip where sand, wind and salt water will be their closest companions, (I have messed up 2 binos not waterproff for that reason) all your opinions will be welcome.
It has to be an 8x because the 10x shakes me a lot..
Thank you so much.
Pepito

Pepe,

If you want a true pocket, I would recommend the Zeiss Terra 8x25. It's a bit large but I have a marine porro 8x25 and it is significantly larger, no way it's even a "large pocket" model and surprisingly the optics are noticeably inferior to any of the 8x20/25 roofs I regularly use on the beach. After use you can gently rinse it off with fresh water, which you should do even if you had a marine porro model.

If you don't need a pocket, the Hawke 7x32 as recommended by Wingingit looks interesting.

Mike

Pepitogrillo, I have the Hawke Endurance ED Marine 7x42 monocular. It's often in my jacket pocket or camera bag when I go to a water habitat. Waterproof, about $180.

I have the Kowa SV ii 8x25 and have found it to be better than the sample of the hawke I looked through (cheaper too!). It is waterproof as well but the warranty on kowa binoculars is not up to the level of hawke if you do end up damaging it in a challenging environment.

If you need a true pocket binoculars similar to the size of Ultravid 8x20, I would recommend Eschenbach Club 8x20. I bought it for 150 euros in Germany. I don’t think it is a mach for a alpha level optics but it is a wonderfully designed little pair of glasses. I am personally using it for more than a year as my only pocket binoculars. Even though I have no experience with any alpha pockets, this small Clubs provides me enough optical performance and I am using it more than any others binoculars I have. It was the only binoculars I brought to Rome last year due to the convenience of carrying it.

No more at that price up today :(
It seems all the binoculars prices has been increased with the increasing inflation rates in Europe. However, it can still be found for 162.75 euros in some shops in Germany. See the following link if you are interested to buy it (fotoenhardt). I think it is still a good deal compared to more expensive pocket binoculars. I bought a bridge camera from that shop and had a good customer experience.

There is a very similar model produced by Pentax ( Pentax | Binoculars DCF 8x20 ED Ricoh Limited Edition – PENTAX - Official Store ) which clams to have ED glasses can be found for 199 euros in Pentax Europe website.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back