• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for pocket sized qualiti bino. (2 Viewers)

Granpoli

Spain
Hello,
I'm looking for a really compact, pocket-sized, quality binocular to take with me wherever I go, and to use it a lot, I've had an 8x25 and even when it was small it was too big for what I'm looking for. I also have a Papilio 6.5x21 and neither.
That is why I think it could be one of these three:
  • Swarovski Curium 7x21
  • Leica Ultravid 8x20
  • Leica Trinovid 8x20
I think all three are the same size, something very important to me, their optical and mechanical quality? It's similar? If not, does it make up for the price difference between them? (Curio and Ultravid similar price, Trinovid lower price)
The Trinovid is not waterproof !!! The others do... I'm not very sure if this is too important... Is it worth it in your opinion?
Well, I would like to know your opinion on this subject.
Thank you
Poli

I have a papilio and picked up a secondhand 8x20 trinovid for specifically always available use. Seemed to be the smallest and lightest. Takes a little fiddling to get the eye spacing set, but lovely views when you have.

Peter

Hello,
I'm looking for a really compact, pocket-sized, quality binocular to take with me wherever I go, and to use it a lot, I've had an 8x25 and even when it was small it was too big for what I'm looking for. I also have a Papilio 6.5x21 and neither.
That is why I think it could be one of these three:
  • Swarovski Curium 7x21
  • Leica Ultravid 8x20
  • Leica Trinovid 8x20
I think all three are the same size, something very important to me, their optical and mechanical quality? It's similar? If not, does it make up for the price difference between them? (Curio and Ultravid similar price, Trinovid lower price)
The Trinovid is not waterproof !!! The others do... I'm not very sure if this is too important... Is it worth it in your opinion?
Well, I would like to know your opinion on this subject.
Thank you
Poli
Swarovski Curio 7x21 would be my choice, and I have had most of the pocket binoculars. In a pocket, binocular 7x is easier to hold steady, the 7x21 has a bigger 3 mm EP making eye placement easier and making it brighter in low light, it is sharp to the edge, whereas the Leica's aren't, and it has a bigger FOV than the two Leica's while being just as small and compact.

Last edited:
The Swarovski is the best in your three choices, but I’d recommend the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25, Swarovski CL-B 8x30 or the Zeiss SFL over them, slightly larger but much better viewing comfort.

And if people had manners and not feel the need to constantly badmouth a forum they're a member of, you'd be the first to go.

Thank you; I’ll consider the source.

I’m just caustic because I continue to see people with 5 cents worth of experience making thousands in speculations.

As long as honest truth-seeking people keep being inundated in information that often has little connection with reality, sadly I will do my best to stand by the truth and optical realities, for the benefit of those who care about such things.

But if folks spent 10% as much time in research as they do in fostering their many speculations, we wouldn’t be at this juncture.

“Seize upon truth, wherever tis found
On Christian or on heathen ground
From our friends; from our foes
Neglect the prickle and assume the rose.”
— Rev. Issac Watts

If more folks could understand that, the bar of understanding would go through the roof and would spread tremendously.

The only time my barbs are ever directed at those of the many speculations is when they choose to hold to information that has been repeatedly proven to be wrong.

The truth does not cease to be true because some people find it to be lacking in political correctness.

If you were local, I would take you for a burger so you could see I have neither fangs nor horns.

Since you don't, I would ask you to consider why some people on binocular forums find me so irreverent and optical engineers, optics moguls, professors, technicians, and authors do not. I think it has more to do with the bino forum guy than me. See attached.

MY motivation:

“If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.” Winston Churchill
Bino Books attaboys copy.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-02 at 5.18.40 PM copy 2.png

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning again fellow forum member Gijs van Ginkel's detailed comparison of compact binoculars. It focuses on transmission rather than edge to edge sharpness or MTF graphs, but that is an important consideration in small aperture pocket binoculars.

Further discussion:

Last edited:
I think it could be one of these three:
  • Swarovski Curio 7x21
  • Leica Ultravid 8x20
  • Leica Trinovid 8x20
My solution: I bought all three, but now only have the Curio 7x21, Ultravid 8x20 and Leitz 8x20.

Get them all and you’ll know which one you like the best. For me it’s either the Curio or Ultravid, with the tiny Leitz coming in first for compactness and price.

I think pocket binoculars are probably fine, if one is prepared to accept the optical compromises involved.
That’s really got nothing to do with the thread though and I suppose the same type of unsupportive thing could be said of non-pocketable binoculars being fine, as long as one was willing to deal with the extra bulk/weight, and higher costs.

OP was specifically “Looking for pocket sized qualiti bino.”, hence making it a comparative search between pocket sized binoculars and completely irrelevant as to how they compare to larger options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back