• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpies looking unwell - avian pox? (1 Viewer)

Jonno52

John (a bad birdwatcher)
Supporter
United Kingdom
The attached shot of Common Magpies Pica pica was taken from my south London window on 2 May 2018. Thought I had a nice enough "behavioural" image, but closer inspection suggests something wrong with the eyes, more so on the further bird, and the latter appears to have a growth at the bill base: is this avian pox, or some other disease?

From memory, after this I saw both birds again occasionally, but successful breeding seems unlikely.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Attachments

• Magpies BF.jpg
    Magpies BF.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I don't see anything on those birds suggesting avian pox. Perhaps a few feathers moulted/shed, but that's all.
Thanks very much Rafael. On reconsideration, maybe what I took to be a "growth" on the upper mandible of the far bird could be a smear of mud. Perhaps I was being unduly pessimistic: if they have the energy to be gathering nest material, I suppose they can't be in such bad shape.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back