• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

I am not sure what future plans there are for Son Bosc, I will be meeting up with the locals soon and I will find out. Some of the area was flattened and many plants were lost. I hope they can all be revived or re-planted but I really don't know enough. For sure, it will again be one of the best places on the Island for birding, flowers and butterflies. It's all very exciting and I will watch developments with great interest. Mike

Hopefully they will keep the fence up and save over zealous birders and photographers from going too close to certain species.

You could use that as an argument for fencing off the whole reserve and barring all public access. Why not fence off the world while you're at it?

Don't forget that this area was once used as an unofficial motorcycle scrambling track.

You could use that as an argument for fencing off the whole reserve and barring all public access. Why not fence off the world while you're at it?

Don't forget that this area was once used as an unofficial motorcycle scrambling track.

Not looking for an argument BW,just stating as you did,an opinion.

Just returned home after 3 weeks on the island. Always quiet birding at this time of year but still great birds to be seen. I visited Castel de Santuari to catch up with the Alpine swifts but alas they had departed. The usual Blue Rock thrush was there and Crag martins were still feeding young on the cliffs.
At Salobrar Flamingo, Avocet and Red kite were the highlightes.
At Son Real the artificial water hole in front of the hide was completely dry but the other one further along still held water where Crossbills and other common finches were drinking as well as two Tortoises. Also saw Woodchat shrike Thekla lark and Red legged partridge.
Still a few Bee eaters around Son Bosc along with Stone curlew, Hoopoe, Tawny pipit and Green sandpiper.
Albufera held Purple Heron, Squacco Heron, Night Heron, Little Bittern, Avocet. Kentish Plover, Purple Gallinule, and Osprey. Tucan marsh held much the same.
So Yes! The island is quiet but all these birds would create a massive twitch
in the UK.

Son Bosc

Great news about Son Bosc but I don't think fencing it off would be wise.
If in the end all we are left with are nature reserves with fences around them, then as conservationists we will have failed.

Hi Kevin. Thanks for your reports. Sorry I was out of action but I am sure we can meet up next time. I don't know when you are here next but let me know, I will be fighting fit.
Perhaps we could meet at Cap de Ses Salines to see some Honey Buzzard on migration. If we make it the weekend then many of the locals will be there. It will be great fun. Mike

I am not sure why the drinking pool at Son Real is dry, surely it is the most important time to be providing water for birds to drink and bathe in? I rather suspected it would be dry. Could it not be refilled? Mike

Hi. returning in October for 2 weeks. Had a great time wandering around in April and was very impressed with the new platform at S’Albufereta Nature Reserve.I noticed there was another brand new structure on the opp side. Is it private or can we get to it. From what i could see in my scope it looked like it was in someones a back garden.

I saw that too on the final day of my visit last autumn. It was pouring with rain so I didn't have my scope with me. If it is accessible, it might offer good views as the sun might be better placed.
Martin

Need help with few birds on photos from the holidays in Malorca on April.:

1.Is it a Black vulture? Taken close to the Cuber reservoir.
2,3 and 4 photos it is a pallid swift? Photo taken near Cala Mesquida.

Sorry for not the best photos...

Attachments

• 2016.04.12-23 Maljorka 1217.jpg
    2016.04.12-23 Maljorka 1217.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 2016.04.12-23 Maljorka 842.JPG
    2016.04.12-23 Maljorka 842.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 2016.04.12-23 Maljorka 846.JPG
    2016.04.12-23 Maljorka 846.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 2016.04.12-23 Maljorka 850.jpg
    2016.04.12-23 Maljorka 850.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 62
Hi Kristina
Good to hear from you again.
I think without doubt, the swifts are Pallid. Not only because of the coloration but your birds are much wider at the "hips" which is typical for Pallid. The last photo over the sea shows more colour than the other photos and taking into account that it is April, common would not show this much brown, even in strong sunlight. There is also a much paler throat patch too on your birds, again a good feature for Pallid. The head shape too suggests Pallid.
As for the vulture, I think it is Black vulture but I'm not certain. Perhaps others could comment. Hope this helps and I hope you make it back here again sometime. Mike

Thanks for the pallid swifts :)
Fingers cross that vulture will be Black or I have to come back to Mallorca again next spring :))))

I will have few more pictures with few more birds, but I will post next day...

I went to the launch of the annual bird report for the Balearics and very interesting it was too. As well as a review of every species seen and their status, there were some excellent articles on the bird life.
Of most interest was the colonization of both Common Buzzard and Robin on the Island, both previously seen as passage migrants and winter visitors.
Three pairs of Robin were confirmed as breeding with other pairs suspected of doing so. One pair bred in one of the parks in Palma.
Exactly the same for Buzzard with three pairs confirmed and others probably did.
All exciting stuff and I am constantly amazed at the changing status of birds both here and in the UK.
It seems incredible that many years ago I had my name published in British Birds for finding an official rarity...Little Egret! How times change. Mike

My first outing in a long time tonight down Eddie's track, Salobrar de Campos. Around 6pm the hirundines came with about 200 House Martin and 100 Barn Swallow. Then about 400 Common Swift filled the sky. A tern species flew by but too distant to identify. Around 120 Greater Flamingoes and many Black-winged Stilts, a Curlew, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, a few juvenile Spanish Wagtails, 3 Marsh Harriers and about 50 Avocet. Great to be out there again. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back