• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Hi Michael.
I know that following redundancies at Albufera, the bi-monthly reports were no longer published.
I did hear that they are now being produced again so I will try to find out where they can be located and let you know. I used to find them on "Forum Aus". All the best, see you here next time. Mike

Many thanks, Mike! Yes, I can confirm the lists are again available at the info center.

OK, I will not give up chasing the historical data. So valuable to understand the trends of bird abundance and dispersion! Too valuable to get lost.

I ran into Pep and Carlos the other day: Their comments on the decline of birds (especially in terms of quantity, not so much diversity) shocked me. We need data to proove what's going on - so we have facts to achieve our goals to protect our avifauna - on Mallorca as well as in ROW.

Cheers, good birding, Michael

Thanks Michael. I am not sure about the decline of some species, I think you are right that it is also about what is going on elsewhere in Europe with the trapping and shooting of thousands of birds. I belong to many bird protection web-sites and I am appalled by the number of species involved.
I think Mallorca is quite good in this respect, numbers of Red kite are increasing due to much less use of poisons and other species are doing well. I would like to know more about which species are in decline and some of the possible causes. Thanks, Mike

Albufereta on a cool and windy day

Despite the changeable weather, still a great walk around the area. Good to see so many thistle left around the Can Cuarassa area as food for birds.

Birds seen today included flocks of Goldfinches, Serins, as well as Osprey, Kestrals, Cattle, Great and Little Egrets, Fan tailed, Sardinia and Cetti warblers, Song Thrush, Meadow pipits, Green Sandpipers, Purple Gallinule and Little Grebes.

Mike, 5 swallows flying over. Is this late for the migration?

Great to be back part 2

Hi Michael.
I know that following redundancies at Albufera, the bi-monthly reports were no longer published.
I did hear that they are now being produced again so I will try to find out where they can be located and let you know. I used to find them on "Forum Aus". All the best, see you here next time. Mike
Hi
When I was in Mallorca in September/October, at s'Albufera, the lists were certainly being produced and handed out at Reception. The original sheets were kept in the Laboratory - as they were before the redundancies. I tried to enter my sightings but I confess they were often restricted just to the more unusual birds, not the full list of species seen (the moths took up most of my time). I would expect that the sheets are stored somewhere in s'Albufera, including the historic sheets. Certainly 'our' (TAIB) bird transect data is there - both as hard copy filed and in our database.

"Mike, 5 swallows flying over. Is this late for the migration?"
Swallow was reported today in the Highlands of Scotland so I'm never surprised at how late they can be seen. There was one at s'Albufera last year on 1 November and another at sa Ràpita, Campos on 10 November last year so not unexpected. A good record, though.
Martin

Last edited:
Son Real

Windy visit to Son Real. Fantastic walk amongst great vegetation. Good to see School children being shown the nature and beauty spots of Mallorca.

Best place to see Hermanns Tortoise and Two tailed Pasha butterflies in the season.

Several Red Admirals still in flight

Birds seen included: Red legged partridges, Song Thrush, Thekla Lark, Audouins Gull, Kentish plovers, Sardinian Warblers,mHoopoes, Crossbills, Shag, Serins and goldfinches.

Also good spot for Balaeric Warbler and Dartford Warblers (still waiting)

Great to be back

Mike

Still some good birds around with a Spoonbill, Temminck's Stint and at least two Bluethroats at Salobrar de Campos yesterday. Also Grey Plover, Greenshank and close views of Greater Flamingoes.
Kingfishers are around the coast again and there are huge amounts of butterflies on the wing, mostly Red Admiral and Painted Lady but also some blues and Speckled Wood. Mike

Bocquer Valley

As Mike mentioned a few Red Admirals and Painted ladies seen in the North.

Birds seen today included Ravens, Blue Rock Thrush, Sardinian Warblers, Serins, so many Black Redstarts, Craig Martins and a few Balearic Warblers.

Despite the windy and changeable weather, This month is great for getting out as fewer cars and cyclists are on the road. Trip to Cuber and Luc was very pleasent. Even parking places outside the gate at Mortitx.

Birds seen included Griffon Vultures, Black Vultures, Booted Eagle, Ravens, Thrushes, and so many Robins, Serins, Black Redstarts and Chaffinches. Crossbills, Goldcrests and Grey Wagtails also seen

Last edited:
Hi Mike, yes, it's a great time to be out with hardly any traffic and some great birds. I went to La Trapa today overlooking the island of Dragonera. There were hundreds of Robins and Blackcaps, a few Cirl Buntings and Crossbills on the approach road to the walk, some lovely woods there.
It makes me think about what is being missed in Mallorca, it is a great place for migrants with so few people looking I always wonder what species are escaping our attention.
Well done with seeing Goldcrest, I have yet to see one this year. Were they in the vineyard? Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, yes, it's a great time to be out with hardly any traffic and some great birds. I went to La Trapa today overlooking the island of Dragonera. There were hundreds of Robins and Blackcaps, a few Cirl Buntings and Crossbills on the approach road to the walk, some lovely woods there.
It makes me think about what is being missed in Mallorca, it is a great place for migrants with so few people looking I always wonder what species are escaping our attention.
Well done with seeing Goldcrest, I have yet to see one this year. Were they in the vineyard? Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike

On the left walking towards the Dam

At least 2 Birds

Other places I have seen them is in the Car Park at Formentor Beach. I will visit this week and check

Walking today in Cala san Vicente ( Pas dels Pescadors the fishermans walk ). Blue Rock thrush, Ravens, Serins, So many Robins, Black Redstart, Sardinian Warblers and Stonechats. Several balearic Warblers calling !

Cheers

Mike

Slightly off topic here but does anyone know If there Is a Birds of Mallorca Calendar 2017 coming out ? This years one was fantastic.

Slightly off topic here but does anyone know If there Is a Birds of Mallorca Calendar 2017 coming out ? This years one was fantastic.

Ian
The Country Walking magazine and the Birdwatching Mag are doing another Majorca Callander for 2017,this years theme is more in the way of the Tramuntana Mountain Range ,I have seen some of the photos which will feature and they are fantastic to say the least.
I expect it will become available to pick up free at the Tourist Info Centre in most parts of Majorca in early 2017 and also feature in the above magazines.

Cheers

Bob

Ian
The Country Walking magazine and the Birdwatching Mag are doing another Majorca Callander for 2017,this years theme is more in the way of the Tramuntana Mountain Range ,I have seen some of the photos which will feature and they are fantastic to say the least.
I expect it will become available to pick up free at the Tourist Info Centre in most parts of Majorca in early 2017 and also feature in the above magazines.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob.Shall look forward to that.

So many flocks today of Robins, Black Redstarts, Goldfinches and Thrushes. Starlings started to roost in large numbers at Depuradora.

Mike, why so few predators apart from Kestrals and a few Marsh Harriers?

I dont know Mike, every year here seems different which I guess will be the way on a small Island. It is also dependent on weather elsewhere in Europe, harsh winters further north drive some species towards Mallorca and we benefit.
It's also a bit early for some species, Merlin and Hen Harriers may be around soon and can sometimes be seen from the depuradora when the Starlings come into roost. It's a great show, one of the highlights of the year for me. A few of us meet up there to enjoy the show. Mike

Lots of Yellow-browed warblers on the mainland so maybe a few more will work their way down here Mike, let's hope so.
Ghastly weather here in the south too. We had a beach party arranged to watch the big moon but total cloud cover put paid to that.
Mike

It was a good day to hide in the hides of Albufera.

Birds seen included several hundred lapwings, many Black winged Stilts, Shellducks, Shoverlers, Wigeon, Teals, Osprey, Sandwich Terns, Marsh Harriers, Curlew, Greylag Goose, Great White and Little Egrets, Purple Swamphen, Night Herons and Spotted Redshanks.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, I believe that Albufera is the only place on the island to see Greylag geese, I have certainly never seen them anywhere else. I am coming to the reserve mid morning on Thursday if you are around, it would be good to meet up. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back