• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (12 Viewers)

With regard to the Baillon’s Crake, I bumped into Juanjo over lunch. He suggested that the water levels have changed at Sa Roca and thus the feeding habits of the crakes will also have changed. It is therefore possible that they are still in the area, but their location maybe different. I hope they are still around and that someone relocates them.
Mike

Thanks Mike - might have another go in the vicinity then...although tricky to know where to start.

This afternoon Llennaire road:
Hobby 1
Red Kite 1
Redstart 2
Whinchat 2
also thought i heard a Red Throated Pipit - but only called once so hard to be 100% sure

Finally, there was a Scops calling around Suirrels restaurant Pto Pollensa at 0645 today

Chris

Depuadora, 23 Bee Eaters over,
This morning, salbufera,
8 Wood Sands sa Roca briefly, escaped Golden Eagle,
Little Stint and 2 Whiskered Terns Colombars.
Steve.

Thanks Cristina that's good to know. I won't count it as part of my trip list then :D

Nige

Hello Nige,
The Whiskered Tern in Port de Sóller is a very good sighting!!
The Canada Goose escaped some years ago from a farm which is close to the main stream, so arrived at the port. I know the owner tried several times to trapp it but, as you have seen, without success.

REgards,
Cristina.

Day started off well with a male Pied Flycatcher in the neighbouring garden, along with a new adult male Redstart and a Chiffchaff.

Only had 2 hours to play with at S'Albufera today but had a great time on the Es Colombars and Es Cibollar trails.

Managed 6 lifers today!! Purple Gallinule, Moustached Warbler, Zitting Cisticola, Marbled Teal, Red-knobbed Coot and Kentish Plover.

Other interesting birds of note was a Yellow Wagtail, Willow Warbler, Wood Sandpiper, Nightingale. Nice to see lots of Marsh Harrier, Little Ringed Plover, Greenshank and Knot too. Also several Little Bittern and lots of Cattle Egret making the oddest noises!

Had a few calls I didn't recognise but will work them out tonight :)

Nige

12/04/2019 Share
Flamingo holds up EasyJet flight

An EasyJet flight was held up upon arrival at Palma, Mallorca, after a Greater Flamingo was discovered strutting around the runway. The aircraft had to slowly follow the bird which flew off, only to land again a few metres away. Eventually, however, it left for good and, according to the airport, the flamingo caused no problems or severe delays.

Love the above - just seen on Bird Guides- not sure if you get all these soundbites in Mallorca? Also provides me with extra cudos to have the window seat on the plane! Four days before I head over! Looking forward!

Hola everybody,
Yesterday at Formentor peninsula with Roz and Martin a good passage of Scopoli's Shearwater (400+ in about 45 minutes), many Blue Rock thrush, Peregrine, Firecrest, several Common Redstarts and at least three Pied Flycatchers.

Later on, on the way to the Es Grau platform at Albufereta we were welcome by a male Hen harrier being chased by a Marsh harrier; also Booted eagle, Great white egret, Osprey and the usual Zitting c., Cetti's, Sardinians, egrets, ducks...

Finally, in the afternoon, Albufera. One Glossy ibis on the colony and a second one later flying to the colony with materials; Nightingale; From Sa Roca 2 and Es Ras hides 9 Wood sandpipers, plenty of Kentish, Pratincole, Little ringed p., several Yellow wags, 1 White wagtail... No sign of the famous crake (sigh); as Mike and Juanjo say the low water levels might have forced them to move. Es Cibollar hide: Common and Spotted redshanks, Greenshank, single Cormorant, Kentisk, White wagtail, very aggressive Avocets defending their chicks, Osprey... To close the day Roz spotted a dead shrew (most likely an Etruscan pygmy). According to the Bioatlas there is only one previous record at s'Albufera only from a few weeks ago). Martin, do you know of any previous records?

All together a very complete and enjoyable day.

Last edited:
Hi again,
Today in son Real again with Martin and Roz, Nightingale, many Pied Flycatchers and Woodchat shrikes, most of them badius (W Med islands subsp) except 1 nominal European subsp. senator, Wryneck (heard), Thekla lark, Corn bunting, a pair of Great tits defending their nest box from an insisting pair of house sparrows by the hide, 3 male and 1 female wheatear, many Serins, Kestrels, Hoopoes, Sardinians... Several orchid species and 2 Herman's tortoises, one of them drinking at the pond. Finally, from the car park, a Red kite being chased by a male Marsh harrier.

Last edited:
Out early at Albufera for couple of hours
Sa Roca:
Collared Pratincole 1
Glossy Ibis 1
Spoonbill 1
Wood Sand 3
plus selection of usual suspects for Albufera - Great Reed Warblers in particular seem to be much in evidence this year

Then hour on the Bocquer Valley terrace, scanning. Undoubted highlight was 2 Egyptian Vulture that appeared over the mountain, gained height and circled away west along the mountains.
Also Booted Eagle, Redstart , 2 Blackcap and Blue Rock Thrush

Chris

Also, been meaning to ask..where is best place for Balearic Warblers in North of Island this spring - is the 'usual' pair present far end of Bocquer ?

Sa Dragonera - what a cracking place! Took the boat there with my son this morning to see the Lilfords Wall Lizards which kept us amused for the duration.

3 lifers for me which included 2 Booted Eagle and singles of Subalpine Warbler and, at last, Balearic Warbler!

Others new for the trip list were singles of Black Redstart, Wheatear, Robin and 2 Balearic Shearwater.

A flock of 14 Purple Heron flew around the island for 10mins.

Other notable migrants were 3 Common Redstart, 2 Chiffchaff, Kestrel, 21 Woodpigeon, 2 Blackcap and Raven.

All in all a great 3 hours out.

Nige

To close the day Roz spotted a dead shrew (most likely an Etruscan pygmy). According to the Bioatlas there is only one previous record at s'Albufera only from a few weeks ago). Martin, do you know of any previous records?

Hi Pere

I don't have a list of records (they are possibly with Nick, I'll check) but I do know that we (TAIB) did some work on the shrews in s'Albufera (both trapping and examining owl pellets) after there appearred to be a bit of a population explosion. From memory, there were at least two species involved.

Best wishes

Martin

A couple of people have asked where the Lesser Kestrels were seen at Llenaire so I attach the map from the GOB citau site with all due credit to them.
If anyonecan give a link to this site, it would be helpful. I don’t know how to.
Chris. I dont know of any other sites for Balearic Warbler except at Son Real where I never fail. If anyone knows any sites other than Bóquer or Son Real, again it would be helpful.
Also, I think Red-throated pipit is highly likely Chris.
There are five Lesser Kestrel at Sa Barrala seen today by Pep.
I had a short walk around Mondragó just now. Three Pied flycatcher, one Common Redstart, Wryneck, Stone Curlew and Short-toed lark.
Mike

Attachments

• 6356EEDF-F7D4-4F32-8620-AAC698CA001C.jpg
    6356EEDF-F7D4-4F32-8620-AAC698CA001C.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 63
Martin
I was just looking back on the last few posts and I re-read your remark about the donkey being called Joté.
I only just got it, donkey joté.
Very good.
Mike

Hadn't realised until I read the posts on here that red knobbed coot was a separate species. Will start looking more closely at the coots from now on. Hoping to head over to Boquer and LA Gola tomorrow.

Tom

12/04/2019 Share
Flamingo holds up EasyJet flight

An EasyJet flight was held up upon arrival at Palma, Mallorca, after a Greater Flamingo was discovered strutting around the runway. The aircraft had to slowly follow the bird which flew off, only to land again a few metres away. Eventually, however, it left for good and, according to the airport, the flamingo caused no problems or severe delays.

Love the above - just seen on Bird Guides- not sure if you get all these soundbites in Mallorca? Also provides me with extra cudos to have the window seat on the plane! Four days before I head over! Looking forward!

Hope this link works - a short video is embedded in the article

https://www.birdguides.com/news/fla...Io9MEoGvwvP9ZfA6~IfRaFdvu5Rc8p_XAaf~gqpRqXqVn

GOB citau site

A couple of people have asked where the Lesser Kestrels were seen at Llenaire so I attach the map from the GOB citau site with all due credit to them.
If anyonecan give a link to this site, it would be helpful. I don’t know how to.
Chris. I dont know of any other sites for Balearic Warbler except at Son Real where I never fail. If anyone knows any sites other than Bóquer or Son Real, again it would be helpful.
Also, I think Red-throated pipit is highly likely Chris.
There are five Lesser Kestrel at Sa Barrala seen today by Pep.
I had a short walk around Mondragó just now. Three Pied flycatcher, one Common Redstart, Wryneck, Stone Curlew and Short-toed lark.
Mike

Link to GOB citau site https://citau.gobmallorca.com/sightings/view/12830

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back