• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

Nice day Stew, it seems you are the only one posting at the moment so thanks for keeping us updated.
Glad you got the Ruddy shelduck after we failed to see it the other day, I thought it might still be around.
Mike

Thanks Mike. Yes, I was well pleased to see the ruddy shelduck, albeit a bit distant!

Stew

After dropping Mrs B and the youngest in Alcudia for the market, I dropped in to Maristany. A couple of marbled duck were loafing around preening, grey, purple and night herons all showed and there were clearly at least two well-grown broods of great crested grebe. A green sandpiper flew round calling. There were plenty of lesser emperors, black-tailed skimmers and small red-eyed damselflies, and just one scarlet dragonfly.

The Albufereta was very quiet, with a fly-by purple heron the only bird of note. However two crabs (apparently mating) in the stream seem to be Callinectes sapidus, an invasive species, first detected in Mallorca in 2018 at S'Albufera.

Ca’n Cuarassa had two woodchats, kestrels (3) hunting the field, calling stone curlews-and a hoopoe. In the stream near the first of the houses at the far end of the track a viparine snake was hunting fish - eventually it was successful!

Stew

Attachments

• 42ABB578-8AFC-4606-A97A-C1760ECEB756.jpg
    42ABB578-8AFC-4606-A97A-C1760ECEB756.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 93D5DBFE-8FD8-4AB0-9A8A-4C09489108A8.jpg
    93D5DBFE-8FD8-4AB0-9A8A-4C09489108A8.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 971CDBD7-3234-45A2-B6F6-FC4FCE173036.jpg
    971CDBD7-3234-45A2-B6F6-FC4FCE173036.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 0A104B59-3431-4441-80B7-B229921A0456.jpg
    0A104B59-3431-4441-80B7-B229921A0456.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 55
Callinectes sapidus, an invasive species, first detected in Mallorca in 2018 at S'Albufera. Stew

Hi Stew, this American species was discovered accidentally during research on the Red-eared Slider in both Mallorca (three places in s'Albufera) and Minorca (two places) in 2017.

Martin

Hi Stew, this American species was discovered accidentally during research on the Red-eared Slider in both Mallorca (three places in s'Albufera) and Minorca (two places) in 2017.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Not good news I guess, presumably they will predate indigenous species and/or damage banks etc?

I also didn’t realise that there are no native Mallorcan snakes - even Viparine was introduced from the mainland.

Stew

That's right. There are supposed to be only two endemic reptiles on the Balearic Islands, the Lilford’s and Ibiza wall lizards, the other 19 are introductions - some dating back to the Neolithic.
Martin

This morning I decided to do the walk across the hills from Puerto Pollenca to Cala st Vincenc. I’ve never done it before, but often considered it. Finding the route from the PP end proved quite difficult, and I took a couple of wrong tracks before two helpful locals put me on the right track. It’s a lovely walk, although be warned that the path from Siller up to the top of the climb is a bit of a nightmare. It seems to have been eroded by flowing water and is a real scramble for several hundred meters. However, the views at each end are well worth the effort!

Bird-wise there wasn’t much to note. A red-legged partridge called, a couple of crossbills were in pines at the Cala st Vincenc end, and there were crag martins against the slope on the way down to the bay (and the cold beer). On the way back over the top I got eye-level views of an Eleanora’s falcon.

Best part of the walk was seeing another pine marten, which bounded across the track just in front of me as I approached the bottom of the climb at the Siller end.

On my way back through Port Pollenca I called at La Gola to say Hi! to Cristina.

Stew

Attachments

• 2A6A9A44-DF87-4B46-8DA5-460C76699558.jpg
    2A6A9A44-DF87-4B46-8DA5-460C76699558.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 48
Spent our last morning of the trip having a local mooch around. Went up to the Mirador at Albercutx, but with low cloud and a cool breeze it was understandably quiet bird-wise, with only crag martin and great tit to show for the effort.

A red kite was circling around the fields below the Bocquer entrance, and what was presumably the same bird was over fields when I arrived at Ca’n Cuarassa. The low cloud was keeping the swifts low - with loads hawking over the track and fields. A softer call alerted me, and allowed me to pick out and follow up a pallid swift among them. Butterflies were in evidence at the trackside, with wall, small heath and small copper all new for the trip. A purple heron flew over as I walked back to the car.

Things were pretty quiet at the Albufereta too, although a great white egret from the hide was a trip list addition. A juvenile Eleanora’s falcon trying (unsuccessfully) to hawk over the main pools caused absolute mayhem among the black-winged stilts!

So, back to the UK this evening. Already looking forward to returning in September!

Stew

Attachments

• F84ACE26-56D0-4F25-A066-61536138F34D.jpg
    F84ACE26-56D0-4F25-A066-61536138F34D.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 70
Not much news in the current heatwave but PhilipG saw an adult Gull-billed tern yesterday at a Golf II, Santa Ponça. Very unseasonal.
Mike

Very hot weather these days in Mallorca, so birding is not easy. A few days ago, 1 Honey Buzzard in Costitx and 1 Whiskered Tern in s'Albufera. Yesterday 3 Green Sandpipers in Albufereta and today 1 Spotted Redshank and 1 Greenshank.

Maties

Thanks Maties. Some late birds still around it seems. It is very hot but I’m going to do a seawatch tomorrow evening and then go to see the local Nightjars.
Early mornings and late afternoons are the only option at the moment, apparently it reached 44degrees on the Central Plain today..phew!
Mike

Made me laugh Laurie, when I eventually got it!
I have been out as much as possible in the heatwave but early mornings and evenings are the only option.
Some return migration of waders with a super Marsh Sandpiper at Salobrar and a Black-tailed godwit.
I have never seen so many butterflies, especially Painted lady, they are everywhere in enormous numbers, covering every flowering plant on the Island.
I’m off out to sea this evening for a boat trip but they won’t let me bring any rotting fish with me. They just don’t understand.
Mike

Last edited:
As Mike says, a Marsh Sandpiper and a Black Tailed Godwit (not a Bar Tailed) were in Salobrar de Campos very early this morning. A few Spotted Redshanks and Grrenshanks too.
But the most important sight has been to see some Flamingos that probably are breeding there! Anyway, that's a new that must be confirmed in the future, precaution is a must now!

Thanks Maties, it’s too hot to think straight, Black-tailed it was, I have photos.
I thought Flamingoes might be breeding there, a very important development. They have tried unsuccessfully in the past. I’m not sure when they last, (if ever), bred in Mallorca.
Mike

Last edited:
Kevin and I had a walk down Eddie’s Track, Salobrar yesterday.
Sweltering hot but good fun nevertheless.
The Black-tailed Godwit was still present but it seems we missed a Little tern, not an easy bird to see here in Mallorca.
As Maties has said, some Flamingoes have made nests at this site but it’s too early to say if breeding has taken place.
As usual I will be going regularly and will keep an eye on them.
I believe that Flamingoes are very susceptible to disturbance but luckily they are well away from the path where all birders go.
I hope the groups which are led around the salt pans also respect this important event and stay well away.
Mike

There has been a report of a Green woodpecker seen and photographed on the Island but there are no further details. Apparently a visiting birder called Ian found it.
As this is such an important record, we really would appreciate further details.
If anyone has more information, or knows who he is, could they please post here or contact me direct.
Many thanks, Mike

Most of the large groups of Common Swift have departed from many of the towns and villages, always a sad day when they go. I sit on my terrace in the evenings and watch them screaming around the apartments, such a joy.
Pallid Swift linger as they migrate later on. They mostly breed along the coast in caves and rocky areas.
There is an abundance of nest sites for Common Swift in the old buildings here in Mallorca but the situation in the UK worries me with so many modern housing estates. I did read that nest boxes were being provided in some places which is good news indeed. I hope it catches on.
Mike

Egyptian Vulture

Hello,
At least one Egyptian Vulture is still around. One was seen on Thursday 4th in Llenaire area.

Regards,
Cristina.

It seems some of the common swifts will be left behind. The COFIB, local wildlife recovery centre, has over 600 chicks fallen off nests to feed every day, three times. They are calling on volunteers to help as their staff is completely overwhelmed by the situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back