• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (2 Viewers)

A quiet, local day today with a trip to Albufereta mid morning. No sign of the caspian terns and other than a mixed group of 50-60 cattle and little egrets there was initially little of note. Adult and juvenile night heron together with purple heron where still in the little stream on the track going in to the reserve. I spent a couple of hours on the Sa Barcassa hide watching a kingfisher appearing occasionally on the dead bush in the pond. Water levels were very high and not surprisingly there were few waders on show and yet despite this a marsh harrier spent a lot of time and effort hunting overhead. 2 fly throughs of presumably the same group of 12 stone curlews, a common sandpiper and a few Kentish plover completed the days sightings.

Attachments

• BD852166-26F0-4231-A5AA-0058DFFFD2BB.png
    BD852166-26F0-4231-A5AA-0058DFFFD2BB.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 98E1DEF3-D185-4791-B469-7586DEB8B596.png
    98E1DEF3-D185-4791-B469-7586DEB8B596.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • A44110BA-2FBD-4186-8736-482E52BCAB40.png
    A44110BA-2FBD-4186-8736-482E52BCAB40.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 4E122939-E7F3-4127-B1C2-7C1FA8054807.jpeg
    4E122939-E7F3-4127-B1C2-7C1FA8054807.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • EB814C4B-4CC3-42E2-BACF-1EA80D212819.jpeg
    EB814C4B-4CC3-42E2-BACF-1EA80D212819.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 3AA74330-42C8-4B57-A2AC-E22BE30B804C.jpeg
    3AA74330-42C8-4B57-A2AC-E22BE30B804C.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • 846C1408-7B45-4AF6-A530-B9C1105C7E42.jpeg
    846C1408-7B45-4AF6-A530-B9C1105C7E42.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 7078AF6F-D649-46F1-9C24-237615BB5981.jpeg
    7078AF6F-D649-46F1-9C24-237615BB5981.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
At last, after several attempts to see the Pectoral Sandpiper I finally pinned it down at S`Albufera at the Es Cibollar 2 hide, this morning.
The young Lesser Black Backed gull, which has been around for a few weeks, was at Es Cibollar 1.
There was a very young Flamingo, which was chasing what I presumed to be one of it`s parents. The parent bird was having none of it and kept flying off whenever the young bird got too close. I assume that the parent bird had decided that the youngster was capable of looking after itself.
Another unusual sight at Es Ciboller 1 was a pair of Black winged Stilts Mating, at this time of year! A bit late ?
Anyway, I really only sneaked off for a short while to see the Pec. Sandpiper. So after an hour and a half I was off back home for breakfast. A great morning.
Cheers
Phil Akers

Attachments

• IMG_3590.JPG
    IMG_3590.JPG
    996 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3586 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3586 - Copy.JPG
    964.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    806.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3565 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3565 - Copy.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3560 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3560 - Copy.JPG
    851.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Yesterday was low on birding, but had a short walk on a dirtpath with a s'illot signt from the road to can picafort. An old peregrine falcon rested on the power wires towards depuradura. I wonder if you can walk all the way to the tower or if there are fences?
Today we went by car to mortitx. Easy parking by the winery (bought a few bottles, very friendly staff). We walked about a mile further than the sign about restictions in breeding period. Amazing scenery, we were truly struck by the beauty. Nice views of maybe 4 black vultures and 2-4 griphon vultures. 2 eleonoras by our lunch spot (a beutyfull cliff after a pass through a small forest). A bonelli suspect for a few seconds but not enough for id.
Plenty of crossbills, chaffinches along the walk. Grey wagtail in the stream below the reservoir, and singing blue rockthrush (but no sighting).
Cuber was a bit dissapointing after the amazing walk, and we only had 2 distant gryphon vultures, 1 booted eagle and 2 kestrels. Lots of red kites and some kestrels along the alternative rout home to alcudia pins.
Mortitx was certainly a highligt of all our visits here.

Last edited:
I began the day at Son Real with Peter S. We made our way down the blue walk 4 and to the hide overlooking the drinking pond hoping for Hawfinch which was reported yesterday. We had no luck in just over an hour. We did see plenty of greenfinch and goldfinch, a redstart and several crossbills. We also had the pleasure of seeing 2 separate groups of German tourists going past the hide, around the screens and up to the pond to take selfies and generally disturb all of the wildlife. We chased both groups away and settled down once again but still no Hawfinch. Later on leaving the reserve we spoke to the staff in the visitor centre and asked if better screens, signage, chain barriers etc might be installed to prevent people from going to the pool. While you can never legislate against stupidity we hope it might help. The staff agreed to take our suggestions forward and we live in hope. We continued our walk to the beach and saw a kingfisher on the waters edge, a single turnstone, audouins gull but little else. Next stop was Albufera with Peter hoping to see the pectoral sandpiper and pacific golden plover, neither were on show and we had to content ourselves with 50-60 spotted redshank and similar numbers of avocets, flamingo and black winged stilts. By 6pm and after almost 10 miles of walking since we began the day we decided it was time for a beer or two. 27° , 50 species and a gloriously sunny day when Mallorca looked at its finest.

Attachments

• 579CC590-9ACB-468F-9EC3-B3C377AFF136.jpeg
    579CC590-9ACB-468F-9EC3-B3C377AFF136.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 19228C20-97A0-497A-A8BA-EF4D6C41D0E1.jpeg
    19228C20-97A0-497A-A8BA-EF4D6C41D0E1.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • A911E39F-D3C7-47DE-95BE-6F3F4A44B524.jpeg
    A911E39F-D3C7-47DE-95BE-6F3F4A44B524.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 9
  • BFD5788F-B642-499E-9657-A3DCEAC05DA4.jpeg
    BFD5788F-B642-499E-9657-A3DCEAC05DA4.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 8
  • 9FB40782-CCFA-40FA-884E-2AAAA43C3A1F.jpeg
    9FB40782-CCFA-40FA-884E-2AAAA43C3A1F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 805278A7-5A0F-4B09-8498-E294A9051AB7.jpeg
    805278A7-5A0F-4B09-8498-E294A9051AB7.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
As we near the end of our visit we took a look at the Fisherman's Walk at Cala San Vicenz yesterday, as recommended by those more experienced than we. We did enjoy a delightful walk in bright sunshine, stopping short of the quarry but it was relatively bird-free. A couple of Red Kites and finally connecting with Blue Rock Thrush (1m, 1f) were the highlights.

We paid a late visit to S'Albufereta in the hope of further views of Caspian Tern but were disappointed on that count. There were a good few hirundines over the water, the level of which has risen noticeably - mostly Sand Martin and Barn Swallow with about five House Martin mixed in. A pleasurable bonus of the way back was a single Northern Wheatear on the ploughed fields, no doubt recently arrived.

The previous day we took a touristic option by getting the bus to Far de Formentor. This was an interesting journey which I have only driven in the past, so this time could take in more scenery; I would recommend this option. The colours on the hillsides were amazing - purples, mauve, bright yellows, lime greens and garish pink amongst them; and this was just the cyclists. There must have been 200+ of them at the Far when we arrived. I certainly wouldn't want to try driving whilst there are so many on that road.

Birding pleasures were limited to four Red-legged Partridge and four Eleanora's off the cliffs.

Just one day left before we return to the glories of West Yorkshire.

Last edited:
I had a sneaky couple of hours at the Cap where I was delighted to see the still-young Biel, ace birder, and Bigyear leader Toni.
It was a magnificent way to spend time, remembering past birding exploits whilst watching the horizon for outgoing raptors.
I believe the totals were:
2 Honey buzzard
5 Marsh harrier
3 migrant Common kestrel
1 Hobby
2 Grey heron
35 Bee-eaters
30 Sand martin
80 House martin
850 Barn swallow
153 Starling
2 Robin
2 Wheatear
4 Yellow wagtail

I wasn’t there for all of them but I saw enough to keep us on our toes.

Also around the Island, Garden warbler, Pied flycatcher and Common redstart.
Mike

I began the day at Son Real with Peter S. We made our way down the blue walk 4 and to the hide overlooking the drinking pond hoping for Hawfinch which was reported yesterday. We had no luck in just over an hour. We did see plenty of greenfinch and goldfinch, a redstart and several crossbills. We also had the pleasure of seeing 2 separate groups of German tourists going past the hide, around the screens and up to the pond to take selfies and generally disturb all of the wildlife. We chased both groups away and settled down once again but still no Hawfinch. Later on leaving the reserve we spoke to the staff in the visitor centre and asked if better screens, signage, chain barriers etc might be installed to prevent people from going to the pool. While you can never legislate against stupidity we hope it might help. The staff agreed to take our suggestions forward and we live in hope. We continued our walk to the beach and saw a kingfisher on the waters edge, a single turnstone, audouins gull but little else. Next stop was Albufera with Peter hoping to see the pectoral sandpiper and pacific golden plover, neither were on show and we had to content ourselves with 50-60 spotted redshank and similar numbers of avocets, flamingo and black winged stilts. By 6pm and after almost 10 miles of walking since we began the day we decided it was time for a beer or two. 27° , 50 species and a gloriously sunny day when Mallorca looked at its finest.
When we first visited Mallorca in 2016 we stayed at the Son Baulo hotel next to Son Real. We had a similar experience with some German tourists when in the hide by the small pond. The only difference was that they came up to the windows in the hide and started looking in. After that they entered the hide and made the maximum amount of noise moving the benches about. On another occasion we had to shelter in the hide for over an hour whilst a terrific thunder and lighting storm raged overhead.

I went for my regular seawatch tonight, not expecting much as it has been virtually birdless recently.
I was quite surprised by my total of 665 Scopoli’s shearwaters and 23 Balearic shearwaters.
A Blue rock thrush popped its head up and a noisy Grey heron flew above.
As I was leaving, I took a photo of the moon but have just seen there is a large flock of birds going out to sea. I will never know what they were so I should have stayed another couple of minutes.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7878.jpeg
    DSCN7878.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN7877.jpeg
    DSCN7877.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
We had a final sweep through S'Albufera this morning before the pressing demands of packing dragged us away. There was nothing exceptional to be found (by us) other than a solitary Black-tailed Godwit and single Temminck's and Little Stints. An eclipse Wigeon was pointed out by the sharp-eyed Pere Tomàs and a bunch of Little Ringed Plovers bade us farewell.

A list of 94 species for a couple of casual birders wasn't too shabby and, of course, we had a great time. We weren't aware of bumping into any contributors to this forum, which was our loss. Maybe next time?

When that will be, we don't know. Thanks for all of the helpful information along the way.

33 degrees yesterday with cloudless skies and no wind.
Perfect weather for tourists but a washout at the Cap.
Raptors either take another route or pass high up, straight over Mallorca.
A few Bee-eaters appear and many hirundines but the prized Honey buzzard and other goodies are not to be seen.
It’s a pity but I think birders are the only ones complaining.
Mike

Today at the Cap Salines the day started poor, with a very clear and blue sky, but after midday we moved to the "Wall of fame" and then suddenly the day changed to a very Great day.
-83 Kestrels
-48 Honey Buzzars
-39 Booted eagle
-37 Marsh harrier
-15 Hobby
-2 Osprey
-1 Buzzard
-1 Eleonora
-1 Sparrow hawk
- 2 Bonelli's eagle (locals)
and many other things

Excited to announce that my new book on the Hoopoe is available to pre-order (available later this month). About the book - What is there not to love about the Hoopoe - packed with character and entertaining, with subtle colours and a punk rocker style head crest with a flight like a giant butterfly. During my research for this book, I soon came to realize I had so much more to learn about this fascinating species which has been very enjoyable along the way, and this is what I want to share with the reader. So, with that in mind, this book is for everyone, from the beginner or intermediate to the expert alike and to anyone who has an interest in birds and the natural world. This book will open your eyes to the world of the Hoopoe - the most widespread of their genus and once a resident in the UK, containing information and facts which are quite astonishing. Did you know a Hoopoe was once recorded flying at an altitude of 26,000 ft, there are records of Hoopoes killing rivals, they will eat frogs and small reptiles and they are a sacred bird in Egypt and the national bird of Israel. There is even a report of a World War 2 fighter ace who named his plane after the Hoopoe. From the fossil record to how they sing, from how they fly to what they eat, from their worldwide status to their conservation, this book will cover everything there is to know about this magnificent bird which always commands your attention when seen.
Contents include: Introduction – about the author / Preface - What is a Hoopoe / Chapter 1 - Origins and Taxonomy / Chapter 2 - Anatomy and Morphology / Chapter 3 - Description / Chapter 4 - Breeding / Chapter 5 - Behaviour / Chapter 6 - Communication / Chapter 7 - Distribution / Chapter 8 - Habitats / Chapter 9 - Conservation / Chapter 10 - Relationships / Chapter 11 - References and Close / Chapter 12: Index.

For those of you not familiar with me, I wrote the two editions of Birds of Mallorca (still available) and I write the weekly Wild Mallorca column for the Mallorca Daily Bulletin.

The link to pre-order this great book (a wonderful Christmas present) is
Thanks for your time and please share.

As most of the bird action at the Cap has been later in the day recently, I avoided my usual dawn raid, thus enjoying a couple more hours sleep than normal.
I arrived at 9am and saw that Ian was already there and raring to go. He was with the delightful Dolores and we made for the lighthouse straight away.
Target bird for Ian was the king of them all, the European Honey buzzard.
My hopes were high as the previous day was fruitful.
As I mentioned recently, these days I get just as much pleasure seeing others get lifers as I do from seeing my own.
We were joined by locals Biel and Toni and very soon by Kevin.
It’s never dull when Kevin is around. He is a natural born comedian and made us laugh from the off.
Later, Martin came too so there was quite a crowd.
It was hot with some cloud and a light breeze so I was hopeful.
The raptors began to appear a bit later, but as the banter was electric, it really didn’t matter.
Seeing big groups of birds together is such a thrill, a superb sight as Red kites spiraled above us.
The totals were:
23 Booted eagle
18 Red kite
2 Black kite
17 Kestrel
9 Honey buzzard
10 Marsh harrier
1 Common buzzard
1 Osprey
1 Eleonora’s falcon
Brilliant.
Ian got his target bird but distant. Being super-keen, he was not satisfied with the views so we waited for a closer bird. Our wishes were granted when a beautifully marked bird flew close by.
Mission accomplished. I’ve never seen Ian so happy.
Dolores told us that she makes the best tortilla around so we are expecting a juicy slice each next time we meet Ian. We won’t forget.
A great day lads, certainly one to remember.
Thanks all.
Mike

Thanks Mike for a great report of a memorable day raptor watching. Great company, a good laugh, and a feast of birds. Perfect weather too. And you more or less promised a Honey Buzzard, and you delivered! Fantastic 😊. Dolores has just promised she'll make a Tortilla for us all on our next meet up which no doubt will be very soon. Cheers Ian.

Highlights of the day for me were Kevin and I getting a great view of a Bluethroat facing us and the sun as we walked from our parked cars at the Dep to the viewing platform, in the hedge on the RHS. The field next to the path on the LHS was full of birds including about 10 Yellow Wagtail. A Great Reed Warbler sung for ages, by the platform, but we couldn't locate it. However, we got great views of 2 x Reed Warbler which was nice.
I moved on to Son Real and got a great view of a low, slow flying Booted Eagle. The hide at Son Real has now got Ropes blocking inquisitive tourists from going round to the front of the hide, which is good news. P.s Someone showed me a photo they had just taken of a Kingfisher on the front of the reeds right in front of the hide.

I`ve only recently got my laptop up and running again, so the first couple of birds attached are from last week. The Black Swan which Phil Garnett and I found in Pollensa bay (obviously an escapee) and the Pectoral Sandpiper which was at Es Cibollars 2 / Albufera.

I began today`s outing at the hide at Son Real, I was hoping to find a Hawfinch perhaps? But after nearly 2 hours the only bird I had seen was a Blackbird. So off to good old reliable Albufera.

Just before I reached the visitor centre I Heard 2 Moustached Warblers in the reeds close to the lane. I was impressed at the number of birds on show at Sa Roca, lots of Teal and Shoveller, Flamingos, Little ringed and Kentish Plovers, Curlew Sandpiper, Spotted Redshanks, Common Redshank, to name a few.
At the 2 Cibollar hides there also were lots of birds to see, 40 Avocet, Green and Common Sandpipers, Little Stints, Great White Egret, lots of Black winged Stilts, a Gorgeous pale Ruff, and a Black Tailed Godwit. The Ruff and the Godwit spent quite a while feeding together, probably just coincidence.

I went down to the Es Columbars hide. BW Stilts were there aplenty, Spotted Redshanks, Greenshanks, lots of BH Gulls, a few Little Grebes and a Great Crested Grebe. An Osprey was circling around but it didn't do any fishing.

On my way back I checked out all the hides again but nothing new had turned up. So I made my way home after seeing some really nice birds , a very pleasant but quite hot day out, looking forward to a nice cool beer from the fridge.

Cheers
Phil Akers

Attachments

• IMG_3864 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3864 - Copy.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3913.JPG
    IMG_3913.JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 10