• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (7 Viewers)

Absolutely Blue Rock Thrush Martin, I should have checked my post before posting. Sorry. Just seen another BLUE Rock Thrush at Mortitx.
No, don’t be sorry! I figured as much, just wanted to make absolutely sure!

I visited Son Real, the Depuradora, s‘Albufereta behind Can Cuarassa and Maristany today. Not many birds around. The large numbers of hirundines of the last couple of days seem to finally have left the island. Not much else to report, sadly. No new species for me today. Well, there’s always tomorrow!

Martin

Having tested positive for covid twice yesterday it seems my current birding trip has come to an abrupt end even though I’ve still got a week left. Feeling extremely rough, almost no sleep, alternating between burning up and being freezing cold, aches and pains all over. It looks like staying in the confines of my apartment is only sensible option, at least for the next few days. For those of you out there birding, enjoy!!

Sorry to hear that David, you had it very rough last time.
I hope you feel better soon, sounds horrible.
We will try to keep you entertained on here in the meantime, but no megas I hope!
All the best
Mike

Did the Fishermans Walk from CSV yesterday and saw a pair of Blue Rock Thrushes and a few Sardinian Warblers. Heard Crossbills. The usual Audouin's Gull was on the beach. Today we walked the back roads from Pollenca to Puerto Pollensa. Not much bird life, but a good supply of odonata. And biting insects. Saw a few Red Kites ... not so exciting when you see them in the garden back home! Finally a pale type Booted Eagle and an Eleanora's Falcon. Lunch in La Cabana excellent.

We did the Ternelles tour today. For those considering doing it: there is a little car park for about 6 cars about 10 mins walk before the main gate, but the road is very narrow in parts, tour takes about 5 hours, no cost but needs to be booked online, you need to stick together, total height gained is about 330m, 12 Km there and back, lots of shade when passing through the forrest, fantastic views throughout, lots of Raptor action and lots of mosquitos. Several Red-legged Partridge ran across the track right in front of us. We also saw 2 x (Northern) Wheatear on the ploughed field near the top. Signs saying 'No fire' etc. We saw a little plume of smoke and realised one of the group had lit an incense stick, which the guide promptly extinguished. When asked what he was doing, he said he wanted to connect with the spirits. What an idiot. Don't get me wrong, I like to connect with spirits too, in fact I'm connecting with them right now..... a large Gin and Tonic!
Home for a brew. Then nipped to La Gola and saw a Kingfisher, nipped to s'Albufereta Sa Barcassa and a Kingfisher landed on that dead branch right Infront of the hide. Fantastic weather. Another good day in Mallorca. P.s Just eating home made Mallorcan Stuffed Aubergines.

Last edited:
Made me laugh Ian, especially the connecting with the spirits bit.
I also had a quick scoot round some of the south, the salines de s’avall where I saw 12 Stone Curlew actively feeding in the salt pans.
Lots of gulls loafed around and a Turnstone was nearby.
Looking forward to the Cap tomorrow, let’s hope for some large raptor movements, or, better still, a Lesser-spotted eagle.
The timing is right for another one of those monsters.
We can but dream.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7974.jpeg
    DSCN7974.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCN7964.jpeg
    DSCN7964.jpeg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 14
I predicted a large crowd at the Cap today.
I got there at 08.30 and sat alone on a rock for about 4 hours.
My predictions are becoming tiresome.
There were over 200 Barn swallows, a Grey heron flew through and a group of about 120 starling.
No raptor action at all, just the local Red kite and two gorgeous Bonelli’s eagles.
I was very relieved to see Martin and Mara arrive.
Then things hotted up a bit.
I locked on to a small raptor with a very distinctive flight jizz, I knew I knew it, but couldn’t nail it.
Giving directions to a falcon whizzing through the sky is fatal, as soon as I take my eyes off the thing, I can never find them again.
Despite this, Martin locked on to it and called Merlín.
Of course it was, but without him, I would have been floundering for the rest of the day.
We found a few more raptors:
3 Red kite, gaining height and moving off,
2 Black kite, plus one I’ve just seen from earlier photos,
1 Marsh harrier
3 Common buzzard leaving the Island
6 Booted eagle
Not a bad day and no doubt more came through when we left.
I’m happy with that, and grateful for more than a little help from Martin.
Mike

Yesterday morning at Sa Roca Hide 1 the scrape was already full of waders including about 15 Glossy Ibis, when 2 flocks of birds arrived almost together; about 35 Shoveller and 35 Glossy Ibis. As I left the visitor centre 3 hours later, and walked over and past the bridge, I heard an unusual sound and looked up to see a flock of 35 Glossy Ibis, very close together, and low down and just over the main path, circling, again and again. Everyone, everyone stopped and gazed. Fantastic! Then they disappeared for 30 seconds, then a most unusual sound, as they suddenly appeared, from over the reeds, right over our heads, making a peculiar loud 'whoosh' sound. A wonderful experience.

Last edited:
I was late getting to the lighthouse tonight so the figures are not representative of the absolute totals.
There were 352 Scopoli’s shearwaters and a better showing of Balearic shearwaters, 92 in all.
I stayed until dusk hoping for a glimpse of a passing Storm petrel, but no luck.
I am going again on Thursday when Houdiny will be joining me.
Perhaps he can perform some magic and pull one of these little pelagic beauties out of his hat.
Mike

I was late getting to the lighthouse tonight so the figures are not representative of the absolute totals.
There were 352 Scopoli’s shearwaters and a better showing of Balearic shearwaters, 92 in all.
I stayed until dusk hoping for a glimpse of a passing Storm petrel, but no luck.
I am going again on Thursday when Houdiny will be joining me.
Perhaps he can perform some magic and pull one of these little pelagic beauties out of his hat.
Mike
I did a bit of seawatching from Punta de n‘Amer today. I just stayed for about 45 minutes, but my numbers seem to relatively match yours. I did not see any storm petrels, but I probably left too early for them.
I’ll work my magic for Thursday! Hoping for something good!
Other than that, my visit to S‘Albufera got me a Black tailed Godwit, a Ruff, a Common Redshank, about 80 Glossy Ibis, some Snipes, an Osprey and the other usual suspects. When visiting the depuradora on my way home, I had another possible Merlin, but it was gone too quickly to safely ID it.
There also was one sheep in poor condition with its side torn open. As the poor soul was barely alive, I reckon it won’t make it through the night. Not sure how soon or if any vultures will turn up. If so, the watchtower of the depuradora will be a good place to observe them feast on the carcass.

Martin

Stopped off at S'Illot 3 lagoons on the off chance there may be something interesting. Quite close to the parked car, a Warbler was giving a good long blast that sounded a bit like a Reed Warbler with a bit of Sedge Warbler thrown in; it had to be Moustached Warbler. Eventually it appeared hopping about quickly and furtively in a small bush so I got several brief views. I'm so pleased that it was singing too. (as it's appearance is very similar to a Sedge Warbler). This is my second this week, the first was at the Dep (which wasn't singing). Also one Snipe was sitting on one of the concrete walls out in the open which surprised me quite a bit. At Son Real Serin, Greenfinch and Linnet were bathing together which was nice.

Still some Booted eagles going out from the Cap today.
It really has been a good year for this species.

I spent an hour at Pla de Lanzell today.
On the approach I noted several Wheatear.
I was hoping to see the Iberian grey shrike as it hasn’t showed the last few times I’ve been.
I was getting a bit frustrated but then up it popped!
Also, two Booted eagle, three Red kite, one Black vulture and one Griffon vulture.
One major disappointment was that one of our favourite restaurants, Es Cruce, was closed.
We made do with pa amb olí at nearby Petra. Very good it was too.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN8032.jpeg
    DSCN8032.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN8012.jpeg
    DSCN8012.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks Mike
It was you who downloaded the Merlín app for me on my phone.
I keep forgetting I’ve got it.
As I have been birding nearly all my life, I’m a bit old school. I still keep notebooks and draw most birds I see.
I’m on the balcony before dawn most mornings and I have noticed many passerines flying past.
Experienced birders whom I share time with, identify many of them on call but nearly all are now beyond my hearing abilities. It’s not possible to identify most of them by sight as it is still gloomy at that time of the day.
I remembered this morning though, and I was astonished to see the results. Seven species in as many minutes, including Grey wagtail and Cetti’s warbler.
I didn’t hear a thing.
I would never tick a bird on the recordings though as I know they can be wrong, but it is nevertheless a great addition to our birding experiences.
What next then, binoculars that identify birds with the press of a button?
I bet that’s not far away.
Mike

Thanks Mike
It was you who downloaded the Merlín app for me on my phone.
I keep forgetting I’ve got it.
As I have been birding nearly all my life, I’m a bit old school. I still keep notebooks and draw most birds I see.
I’m on the balcony before dawn most mornings and I have noticed many passerines flying past.
Experienced birders whom I share time with, identify many of them on call but nearly all are now beyond my hearing abilities. It’s not possible to identify most of them by sight as it is still gloomy at that time of the day.
I remembered this morning though, and I was astonished to see the results. Seven species in as many minutes, including Grey wagtail and Cetti’s warbler.
I didn’t hear a thing.
I would never tick a bird on the recordings though as I know they can be wrong, but it is nevertheless a great addition to our birding experiences.
What next then, binoculars that identify birds with the press of a button?
I bet that’s not far away.
Mike
Does it give a percentage accuracy though? I use Obs Identify for identifying species in photos. It gives a percentage accuracy, and sometimes suggests more than one alternative for a species in a photo (with a percentage for each). It also gets it completely wrong occasionally. So I think you're right Mike, an additional tool in the armoury. The onward march of AI..

Stew

That worked just fine Stew, and most enjoyable it was too.
I think you have exceeded your normal high standard with that one, packed full of very useful information about how to get to sites and what to expect there.
To say we were a bit tired after the Ternelles walk is understated, I was, as the Spanish say, “hecho polvo “. Turned to dust.
It was great fun though, and as you said, very informative.
It’s just a shame access is so restricted. The battle goes on.
I haven’t tried the other app you mention but I will take a look.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back