• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (9 Viewers)

Good to see migration is kicking off. Just in time for us arriving tomorrow lunch time. Any sightings around Puerto Pollensa greatly received over the next few days. Supposed to be a relaxing holiday but hoping to persuade the Husband to go on a few 'walks' 😂.

Rach

A wander around Can Cuarassa and Llenaire area earlier today. Osprey, marsh harriers, red kite and common kestrel. Spotless starlings on the house roof, red legged partridge, pheasant, lots of serin and nightingales, male pied flycatcher and all the common finches. I’ve spent a bit of time looking for golden oriole along the Can Cuarassa road but still no luck, there were 2 woodchat shrikes in one of the gardens though. Reports of bee eaters arriving have confirmed my sense that migration is gradually getting underway.

Attachments

• 147ED19A-0706-4B85-BC06-F705EE9F34FF.jpeg
    147ED19A-0706-4B85-BC06-F705EE9F34FF.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 6
Final evening blues... I can't see the Stork this evening from my hotel for the first time since it turned up at Albufera. I spent the day on the reserve not adding much to my list but I had a great day. I managed views of two Great Reed Warblers. As Mike commented above, one giving fantastic views - by far my best. I'll try to upload some photos when I get home. About 15 Spotted Redshank at Es Colombars was more than I'd seen earlier and Spotted Flycatcher on the edge of the reserve.

Finally many, many thanks to everyone for postings, especially Mike of course. I realised afterwards we were probably in the hide at Es Collibar together this morning. I'd have loved to say hello in person. Maybe next year :)

It was great to meet Mike and Jane on the Platform at Depuradora today and the birds weren't too bad either with 3 Collared Pratincole giving a fantastic aerial display. A gull billed tern with its black ckunky bill was excellent and a cuckoo on the fence made it my 100th bird of the trip. A trip inland and a couple of lesser kestrels made it a brilliant day

It was great to meet Mike and Jane on the Platform at Depuradora today and the birds weren't too bad either with 3 Collared Pratincole giving a fantastic aerial display. A gull billed tern with its black ckunky bill was excellent and a cuckoo on the fence made it my 100th bird of the trip. A trip inland and a couple of lesser kestrels made it a brilliant day

Attachments

• 20230423_220351.jpg
    20230423_220351.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230423_220244.jpg
    20230423_220244.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230423_220639.jpg
    20230423_220639.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 19
Years ago the wires along the rough lane behind the Pollentia/Uyal hotels was the place to get views of Scops Owls- but you needed to put in time to establish the routines of the particular birds.....

Barring 1 or 2 nice birds, a bit quiet this morning on the passage front.
A male Montagu's Harrier at 07.50 through high at Can Cuarassa was the pick of the bunch. Also 3 Kestrel spp and an Osprey went over high.
What looked like a Male Lesser Kestrel was on wires along the Volantina back lane towards Llenaire but was a little distant.
A Turtle dove was on the wires at Can Cuarassa. and 3 flew through together along the back lane.
Several Tree pipits called.
Wryneck again Singing near the Llenaire Hotel.
Spotted Flys seem to be in now with 10+ seen this morning (most of them the Balearic variety but a couple of high perched darker birds fit the northern! type) rather than the singles seen in the last 3 days.

A lovely walk this morning at Can Cuirassa with Jane, Kevin and David.
The wild flowers were magnificent and it’s certainly a glorious time to be out walking in Mallorca.
Nightingales filled the air and some birds kept us on our toes.
We soon located Common whitethroat, a pair on the fence, and a very nice picture they made too.
Walking further down we saw what may have been a Golden oriole and later on, David had flight views at the same location which confirmed so.
As usual, I will leave it to David to fill in the gaps, as Jane and I left to do other things.
I had my first swim of the year which was, to say the least, “refreshing”.
Club del Sol is a terrific hotel with great facilities and rather nice food so we are both very happy to be up north and meeting so many Mallorca aficionados.
It’s been a great pleasure saying hello to so many visiting birders.
Mike

Hi,

Does anyone know what type of frog/toad we would have heard in some little ponds near the Villa Singala in Puerto Pollensa this evening? Not sure which species occur here.

Had a listen for Scop's Owls there too with no success. May have to try for the ones at the Pollentia as reported by Kendalbirder.

Rach

Following on from Mike M post 450, Kevin and I had a leisurely walk along the Can Cuarassa track this morning. Upon leaving Mike and Jane we were joined by Peter S and we walked the loop around the ponds and screens before heading to Llenaire. At Can Cuarassa we had a beautiful male whinchat, 2 or 3 whitethroat, 2 spotless starlings and a fly over female/juvenile golden oriole. The walk along Llenaire was very quiet and the bee hive fields and the wires failed to produce any bee eaters which were there this time last year. Our final stop was an hour at Albufereta. The fields at the finca had 2 stone curlews and at the main ponds only a few flamingo were showing. Sa Barcassa ponds had 10 common terns and the usual avocets, black winged stilts and Kentish plover but nothing else of note. Perhaps the hottest day of the last 10 and great to be out.

A hike up to the top of La Mola above Cala San Vincent yesterday with Carole. Some migration was evident. After watching lots of marsh harriers on the marshes the last few days it was a bit of a surprise to see a migrating female lift off from the top of La Mola at 474 metres high. On the way down from La Mola we flushed a turtle dove from the grass on a cliff edge at 6pm probably waiting to cross to mainland Europe. Then at the punta de coves blanques a group of 54 swallows flew north out to sea.
It was great to watch 2 black vultures at eye level from the top. 4 red kite, peregrine and a osprey also. 6 blue rock thrush, 3 balearic warblers, 4 sardinian warblers and 2 redstart. Firecrest in the pinewood at Cala San Vincenc. A full and tiring day but amazing views of the Island from the top and some great birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back