• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (4 Viewers)

The Lesser flamingo was quite distant today but still present on the last pool, on the right-hand side, going down the Camino de Sa Barrala from hotel fontsanta.
I’m sure others will get/have got better photos but I have been banned from climbing the banks as last time I slipped down and got rather muddy.
One unhappy Mrs Montier.
It’s a lovely bird though with blood-red bill and smart plumage.
It remains to be seen if it is accepted as a wild bird.
I don’t see why not.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0043.jpeg
    DSCN0043.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0035.jpeg
    DSCN0035.jpeg
    982.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0042.jpeg
    DSCN0042.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
A quick five hour visit today to Son Real accounted for not exactly too much.
Not a single Wryneck seen or heard but a least we heard some Turtle Doves but none seen.
At least six Hermans Tortoise running around
Finally three Balearic Warblers.
We should really have done better, mark for today is a C -
Trip total 71

For two days here now at Mallorca. Seen and heard a lot of beautiful birds at very nice places. A few lifers. Yesterday afternoon at S Albufera I had the jackpot in half an hour time. Could anyone tell what is the best place of are the best places to see a collared pratincole. Thanks for reply.

For two days here now at Mallorca. Seen and heard a lot of beautiful birds at very nice places. A few lifers. Yesterday afternoon at S Albufera I had the jackpot in half an hour time. Could anyone tell what is the best place of are the best places to see a collared pratincole. Thanks for reply.
The 2 best sites for Collared Pratincole are probably Albufera and Salobar de Campos (think that's right Mike?) This is near the southern tip of the island....Good luck with your birding .
Jonny

Yes Jonny, you are spot on.
Albufera and Salobrar are the best sites for Collared pratincole but time is getting on now.
There were quite a few seen at both sites, with some staying a few days.
There may be another wave. I’ve asked around and a few birders have seen them well into May.
All sightings I hear about will be put on this forum.
I’m going yet again to Salobrar tomorrow and Monday so I will report back.
Mike

Well another poor day for us at S'Albufera. Cath did manage to tick Little Bittern:).
Two great highlights though a young lad from a school party managed to find a bogey up his left nostril and promptly devoured it :D
We found a Black crowned Night Heron with a rat firmly clamped in its beak waiting until it was able to swallow it, nature at its best.
Bird total stands at 75 for 5 days

T&C

A lovely evening walk around my local parc of Mondragó and at last, some spring migrants.
3 Northern Wheatear, several Pied flycatchers, Wryneck, Willow warbler, and Woodchats.
I even managed my first ever photo of a Nightingale.
I will be going tomorrow evening to hopefully hear and see the first European Nightjars in the parc, one of the highlights of the year for me. I just love them.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0214.jpeg
    DSCN0214.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0203.jpeg
    DSCN0203.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0186.jpeg
    DSCN0186.jpeg
    754 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0173.jpeg
    DSCN0173.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0172.jpeg
    DSCN0172.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Headed to Cuber today and has a fly-through party of about 6 Pallid Swift wheeling around and calling under the arch of the tunnel at Gorg Blau. Cuber was quiet but managed 2 Subalpine warblers, Tawny pipit, Firecrest, superb male Crossbill. On way back at Val den Marc several Black Vultures landing on top of the ridge with a couple of Griffons with them. Heading south to Salinas etc tomorrow.

After our exploits at the Depuradora and Albufera on Wednesday, yesterday I headed to Maria de la Salut for several hours of walking the back lanes. The weather was beautiful and the scenery stunning in 22° +
all day. The birding however was very quiet with plenty of red kites and corn buntings but not much else close by. I saw 20-30 kestrels, usually distant and could only identify 1 lesser among them. I did heard quail calling several times. On the way back to Port de Pollenca I called in at Can Cuarassa. It would appear that the Rollers have moved. There were 2 spotless starlings on the roof but I still couldn’t find golden oriole in any of the gardens. Today I took the drive to Mortix on another glorious day. There were cirl bunting, pied and Mediterranean flycatchers and common redstart around the vineyards, an adult and an immature Bonellis eagle, several griffon vultures and 2 high flying falcons that I couldn’t identify. I called in at Cala San Vicenc on the way home where the woods were very quiet. I had 2 Balearic warblers at the bottom of the Fishermens Walk, a raven and a single blue rock thrush. The highlight was the sight of 40+ bee eaters all heading north, this came shortly after hearing, but not seeing, 2 other groups also leaving the island. Albercutx tower and the chance of further interaction with the thousands of visiting cyclists awaits in the morning.

Good day Mallorca; wondering if anyone has any recommendations or warnings on trying a day return from Alcudia to Menorca (June) for seabirds; I believe 2 hr each way. It would need a traditional ferry with outside deck and not a fast hydroplane vessel.
Just a possibility at the moment to add to my burgeoning list if day trips?
Keep up all the reports please ; it is keeping me going in a very hard going UK early summer.....
Thank you as usual
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back