• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (8 Viewers)

I'm in Albufera this morning, visiting from UK. Amazing place. In only a couple of hours I've seen: red knobbed coot, great reed warbler, purple heron, little bittern, balearic shag, collared praticole, squacco heron, flamingos, purple gallinule, kentish plover, audoin's gull, glossy ibis, night heron, osprey, black kite, marbled duck, red crested pochard, nightingale, cisticola, sardinian warbler etc!

I tried a trip to Lluc monastery area today, via bus, hoping to see black vulture. Needn't have worried, there was one straight up above as I got off the bus! Also several wryneck heard, and 3 seen, a couple of firecrest, raven, red kite, etc. Can't fall off!

Attachments

• DSC_4583~2.jpg
    DSC_4583~2.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_4629.JPG
    DSC_4629.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_4382.JPG
    DSC_4382.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC_4494~2.JPG
    DSC_4494~2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
This afternoon at Finca Pública de Galatzó (Es Capdellà) some common migrants:

-2 Pied Flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca)
-2 Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus)
-2 Wood Warbler (Phylloscopus sibilatrix)
-1 Whitethroat (Curruca communis)

Also at least 3 Nightingales (Luscinia megharrynchos) and 1 Turtle Dove (Streptopelia turtur) were already singing in the area.
And a surprise for me still finding 1 Robin (Erithacus rubecula).
Wrynecks and Cirl Buntings were singing all over the area.

Yesterday and today Jason Moss had great migration days at Dragonera island with Iberian Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus ibericus), Bonelli's Warbler (Phylloscopus bonelli), Wood Warbler, Mediterranean Spotted Flycatcher (Muscicapa thyrrenica) among other common migrants...

Tomorrow morning will going to Albercutx, let's see how the raptor pass is doing!!

Regards!

Last edited:
Two turtle doves purring away round the back of our apartment this afternoon.
Other birds to look out for are:
Whinchat, Pied flycatcher, Common redstart, Common whitethroat and Bonelli’s warbler.
A Cuckoo has been seen.
The tower at Albercutx sadly drew a blank today, known locally as a “capote”.
It can only get better.
Good luck to all visiting birders and thanks for letting us know what you have seen. All records are valuable and gratefully received.
Have fun.
Mike

Two turtle doves purring away round the back of our apartment this afternoon.
Other birds to look out for are:
Whinchat, Pied flycatcher, Common redstart, Common whitethroat and Bonelli’s warbler.
A Cuckoo has been seen.
The tower at Albercutx sadly drew a blank today, known locally as a “capote”.
It can only get better.
Good luck to all visiting birders and thanks for letting us know what you have seen. All records are valuable and gratefully received.
Have fun.
Mike
Not a full capote! We saw 1 Black Kite (Milvus migrans) 😅 😅
Also some Barn Swallows and House Martind and a group of 4 Meadow Pipits (Anthus pratensis) were passing during the morning.
Tomorrow more and I hope, better!

This afternoon 6 miles away from Portocristo coast 5 Storm Petrels (Hydrobates pelagicus).

Regards

Last edited:
I went for a quick walk at shortly after sunrise at the Salobrar yesterday and while I didn't recognise anything out of the ordinary there, I did spot two birds disappearing into the distance and was too slow to get a decent photo. However, this photo is all I have, clearly not a small bird and with very long wings, proceeding very quickly. Merlin suggests either a green sandpiper or a collared pratincole. I feel it was a bit large for a sandpiper – what do other members think? Many thanks for any suggestions.

IMG_4496.jpg

I'm in Albufera this morning, visiting from UK. Amazing place. In only a couple of hours I've seen: red knobbed coot, great reed warbler, purple heron, little bittern, balearic shag, collared praticole, squacco heron, flamingos, purple gallinule, kentish plover, audoin's gull, glossy ibis, night heron, osprey, black kite, marbled duck, red crested pochard, nightingale, cisticola, sardinian warbler etc!

I am in Mallorca next month, at the hotel right on the edge of Albufera, this is really whetting my appetite as seven of the birds you mentioned there would be lifers for me!

I went for a quick walk at shortly after sunrise at the Salobrar yesterday and while I didn't recognise anything out of the ordinary there, I did spot two birds disappearing into the distance and was too slow to get a decent photo. However, this photo is all I have, clearly not a small bird and with very long wings, proceeding very quickly. Merlin suggests either a green sandpiper or a collared pratincole. I feel it was a bit large for a sandpiper – what do other members think? Many thanks for any suggestions.

View attachment 1573024
Collared Practincole for me. Can see the white trailing edge, forked tail and the red-brown underwing.

View attachment 1573024
Collared Pratincole

I made it to S'Albufera today after a quick stop at the Depuradora and, in a word, had a lovely day out. It started out with three hoopoes flying up in front of the car on the way to the Dep, a nightingale singing as we strolled down to the platform, followed by plenty of decent birds to watch. The weather was a bit on the sticky side and the walk along the canal was very busy – holiday season very much in evidence – but the hides themselves were not too bad – mainly inhabited by elderly folk with big lenses on their cameras. A strange and varied species! A meeting with a friendly Danish guy put the reserve into perspective for me – he was totally amazed by how many birds could be seen so close up. His enthusiasm was good to hear. The highlight of the day for me? Certainly seeing and hearing a great reed warbler in full song (what a noise from a small bird!), but catching some terns, seeing a pair of stone curlew going eyeball to eyeball and the colours of the plumage on a glossy ibis were definitely worth the trip. So was the swallowtail at the visitor centre. By the way it was a good thing I saw the pratincole the other day – they seem to have departed from Albufera now!

IMG_4534.jpg IMG_4536.jpg IMG_4538.jpg IMG_4542.jpg IMG_4545.jpg IMG_4548.jpg IMG_4555.jpg IMG_4556.jpg

Lovely photos derban, glad you had a great day but a shame you didn’t see the Caspian tern at cibollar.
A photo has just emerged.
I couldn’t make my usual seawatch tonight but I got last knockings from my balcony.
Thousands and thousands of mixed shearwaters were streaming past on a dead calm sea.
How I would have loved to have been there.
I bet a few storm petrels went past too.
It’s also getting towards the best time to see skuas too.
I will be going as much as possible but I’m rather sad I could see this wonderful spectacle close-up from the lighthouse.
Mike

Hi,

Yesterday me and some local birders had a great day!

The day started with a walk by Cami d'Es Polls (Albufera) were we saw/heard the four Acrocephalus warblers that could be seen in Mallorca:
Moustached Warbler (Acrocephalus melanopogon), Reed-Warbler (Acrocephalus scirpaceus), Great Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus arundinaceus) and Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus).
We also saw a nice group of 18 Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) and heard 2 Cuckoos (Cuculus canorus) there.

The rest of the morning we were at Albercutx trying (once again) to see some migrant raptors, but the day went exactly as the day before with only 1 raptor in 3 hours... a Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus) flying to NE...
It is unusual to see these low numbers of migrant raptors at mid-April...
At least we had a nice morning in a nice place with nice friends!

The numbers of small migratory birds this year are ridiculous...it's sad to see that every year the number of birds is decreasing...

But what made our day was finding a subadult Lanner Falcon (Falco biarmicus) near Maria de La Salut!!
It's a "FOBI" First For Balearic Islands!! Also a bimbo (lifer) for me and for Pablo, Pep and Pau!! (Pau took some photos).
Also 1 Black Kite (Milvus migrans) and at least 5 Lesser Kestrels (Falco naumanni) were at the place.

Yesterday a female Red-legged Falcon (Falco vespertinus) has been seen in Menorca by Lucien Brocher (eBird). A little bit earlier for this specie...

Today Pep and me went to Albufera to enjoy the nice and scarce Caspian Tern (Hydropogne caspia) that Maties found at midday and we were lucky to find the bird resting at Cibollar 2. We also saw the Collared Pratincole (Glareola pratincola) at Sa Roca/Es Ras.

I have some days off from 23 April to 1 May so I hope some nice birds will appeare these next days!

Regards!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back