• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malta and hunting policy (1 Viewer)

If you have time to waste watch this farce of a documentary on spring hunting in Malta by the Italian channel caccia e pesca (hunting and fishing). Don't worry it translated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWDcQ2VLBc&feature=youtu.be

The funny part is that they call people who want to stop spring hunting (particularly referring to Chris Packham) 'pseudo-ecologists' and 'eco-terrorists'. It's so ridiculous.

The fknk also have a bullsh*t argument that other minorities will be targeted after hunting is dealt with. This is of course a massive lie with which they are trying to 'scare' members of other minorities into voting in favor of hunting.

I thoroughly recommend watching the video (especially the interviews with Mr. Farrugia and Mr. Perici Calascione) if you are in need of a good laugh.

haha Now that I have seen Lino , I can understand the drivel he spouts

the referendum is lost in my opinion. Both the prime minister and the leader of the opposition are in favour of retaining the spring hunting season so I predict that there will be a lot of corruption when it comes to counting the votes.

the referendum is lost in my opinion. Both the prime minister and the leader of the opposition are in favour of retaining the spring hunting season so I predict that there will be a lot of corruption when it comes to counting the votes.

Sounds like the situation over here with regard to grouse-moors and driven grouse-shooting. Shame these so-called 'men' haven't got better things to do with their time than blasting species ever closer to regional or even global extinction. What are they going to shoot when there are no birds left? Each other?

I see that Maltese hunters are claiming that the decline of the Turtle Dove is due to the spread of Collared Dove. I'm assuming that it's something they've plucked out of thin air unless anyone knows better.

Is there no mechanism whereby independent observers can be drafted in?

:t: Good luck Gladiator96 wish I had a vote !

We don't have a vote, but we do have a voice.. e.g. into comments section of Times of Malta story..

"My family and hundreds if not thousands of other UK families would love to visit Malta and experience your country’s natural beauty.
However, there is no way we would ever consider visiting while hunting at this scale continues.
Worth thinking about in early Spring or late Autumn when your hotels have empty rooms, restaurants and cafés have empty tables?"

These are my summer visiting birds that are being shot, so it is my business

We don't have a vote, but we do have a voice.. e.g. into comments section of Times of Malta story..

"My family and hundreds if not thousands of other UK families would love to visit Malta and experience your country’s natural beauty.
However, there is no way we would ever consider visiting while hunting at this scale continues.
Worth thinking about in early Spring or late Autumn when your hotels have empty rooms, restaurants and cafés have empty tables?"

These are my summer visiting birds that are being shot, so it is my business

My sentiments exactly Peter, but to which I'd also add that the island nation's historical & archaeological heritage is also a draw and also threatened by vandalistic hunters .....

I see that Maltese hunters are claiming that the decline of the Turtle Dove is due to the spread of Collared Dove. I'm assuming that it's something they've plucked out of thin air unless anyone knows better.
At least in Central Europe, the two species occupy different habitats, although those definitely overlap in some places. Collared Doves seem to be bound to human settlements. In S Europe, Collared Dove seems to be a little more ubiquitous.
It's an interesting idea though, and I think somebody needs to conduct a study to clarify if the Collared Dove has had any negative impact on Turtle Dove populations.

In any case, hunting of Turtle Doves (our Turtle Doves, I might add) in Malta - and elsewhere - is still idiotic in the extreme when their populations are already thin and declining.

At least in Central Europe, the two species occupy different habitats, although those definitely overlap in some places. Collared Doves seem to be bound to human settlements. In S Europe, Collared Dove seems to be a little more ubiquitous.
It's an interesting idea though, and I think somebody needs to conduct a study to clarify if the Collared Dove has had any negative impact on Turtle Dove populations.

In any case, hunting of Turtle Doves (our Turtle Doves, I might add) in Malta - and elsewhere - is still idiotic in the extreme when their populations are already thin and declining.

I can't imagine that there's anything in the idea after all as you observe they occupy different habitats with limited overlap. Furthermore they must have co-existed in the eastern part of their range for a long time without any apparent decline. I posted largely to find out if anyone knew where this idea came from.

It's claimed by one of the posters under the article noted above that thousands of Turtle Dove are gassed in roosts in Italy where hundreds of thousands are killed per annum. Anyone know whether this is true or more falsities from hunters?

It's claimed by one of the posters under the article noted above that thousands of Turtle Dove are gassed in roosts in Italy where hundreds of thousands are killed per annum. Anyone know whether this is true or more falsities from hunters?

mmmm not sure how one would go about gassing anything in the open air !

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back