• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Warbler Gosport Hampshire? (1 Viewer)

I knew a bit of Jane's renowned forensic detective work would be useful in this case. I wonder if it will stop the debate (it probably won't).
David

I knew a bit of Jane's renowned forensic detective work would be useful in this case. I wonder if it will stop the debate (it probably won't).
David

no offence but it doesn't take forensic evidence to sort this out. it sings like a reed wblr because it is one. in the u tube link it doesnt even get close to a marsh wblr singing :eek!:

no offence but it doesn't take forensic evidence to sort this out. it sings like a reed wblr because it is one. in the u tube link it doesnt even get close to a marsh wblr singing :eek!:

Well, I know that, and you know that, but neither of us have seen or heard the bird in real life, so what do we know? Some of the people who have done so, have, let's say, differing opinions. ;)

I've seen and heard it and from day one it was a reed warbler! Found a bird with a Howe at the weekend also in Hampshire and it mimicked alot more than the gosport bird and very well but it was still a reed! Maybe it's something to do with the reed warblers in Hampshire......our bird mimicked up to nearly 10 different species! Blue tit,
Blackbird and linnet being very good! Oh and reed warbler ;)

Well, I know that, and you know that, but neither of us have seen or heard the bird in real life, so what do we know? Some of the people who have done so, have, let's say, differing opinions. ;)

i know it aint no marsh! i doubt it sounds any differnet in 'real' life to the video

i i doubt it sounds any differnet in 'real' life to the video

How do you know?

That is a three minute clip. Some people have spent a whole lot longer than that listening to the bird and have reported a lot of Marsh Warbler-like phrases plus mimicry.

I don't believe for a second that this bird is as easy to ID (from sound) than some people are suggesting, particularly when you throw the possibility of a young, inexperienced bird or hybrid into the mix.

Having said all that, I do agree that it's (probably) a Reed Warbler! I just think we should cut the guys who have ID'd it as a Marsh a little slack.

Last edited:
There is no reason to invoke the hybrid clause

The wing formula is bob on for Reed
The song structure sounds bob on for Reed.
Though observers are suggesting that the body/head-shape is more Marsh, the photographs show the opposite (though that could be a fluke)

The palour of the plumage isn't that unusual for a worn spring Reed - there are certainly more scary looking examples about.

The song mimicry is interesting. I've previously read that birds that are late onto territory and are otherwise a bit "pants" in the looks states, compensate for their inadequacies by bigging up their songs.

The debate on Go Birding seems to have quietened down, someone moaned at me for the hijacking of the website - I was just trying to include 'outsiders' in the debate.

Anyway many thanks for all the replies and information, great education.

You'll be pleased to know that Marsh Warbler is not in the book, er actually it is but it was a proper one not a pretend one - and thanks for buying it, I hope you enjoy it

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back