• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maui Birding 2022 (1 Viewer)

tui-time

United States
Does anyone have suggestions for a good birding spot in Maui? We will be in the Lahaina area and I'm hoping for a couple short trips in that area. We have one trip to Haleakala and maybe a day to Hana and back. Any spots in Lahaina area? Thanks.

As I recall...many of the birds you can find on Maui can be found just about anyplace on the Island...just enjoy the weather and walk around and you will find. If you have a small binocular you can keep them with you and just enjoy the beach and sand and see birds to boot.

As I recall...many of the birds you can find on Maui can be found just about anyplace on the Island...just enjoy the weather and walk around and you will find. If you have a small binocular you can keep them with you and just enjoy the beach and sand and see birds to boot.
Good point, the Maui bird population is pretty abundant and often very colorful. The bulk of the birds seen at lower elevations however are introduced species, as the native birds have been hard hit by avian malaria and introduced predators such as mongoose. So to see Hawaiian native birds, one has to go up to higher reaches of the mountains, where the mosquitoes don't reach.

I'm probably a little late but, Hosmer Grove close to the Haleakala park entrance is a good place for endemics. ( Iiwi, Apapane and Amakihi. )

Mauai National Wildlife Refuge is good for ( Hawaiian Stilts and Coots if you're lucky White faced Ibis), but check in at the building to walk the levees.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back