• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven 7x45 and 6x30 binoculars (1 Viewer)

Steve C

Review: Maven B2 7x45 and B 3 6x30

I have had these two binoculars for long enough to feel comfortable with offering the following. As with any review I do, I do it with a single question foremost in my mind. That question is this. If I was in the market for a binocular for my personal use would this one work? Not just work, but work well.

It should be no secret at this point that I am most favorably impressed with the entire Maven binocular line. I own the B1 in 10x42, the B2 in 9x45 and the B3 in 8x30. I find them to be completely satisfactory in all aspects of optical performance, ergonomics, and apparent build quality. They all offer a whole package that is comparable to any binocular at any price level. It was solely the performance offered by the entire package of these binoculars that won my support.

Reviews of the B2 9x45 and B 3 8x30 are present in the forums, so I will separate out the two newest Maven offerings, the 7x45 B2 and the 6x30 B3. The reviews samples were agreed upon during direct conversations with two of the Maven owners at the Central Oregon Outdoor Expo. I posted some preliminary observations from that first view of these two binoculars, so I'll expand the scope into a review level offering here.

Maven B2 7x45:

I was somewhat surprised to hear that they were offering a full size 7x binocular. It used to be everyone had 7x as an optical standard, but marketing has pushed 8x into the optical standard. Seems to be the 8x has been sold on the idea of more magnification is better, such truth has largely relegated 7x to the status of poor stepchild in the optics world. So it was with some anticipation I settled back to await the release. I was initially somewhat surprised when I saw the first set of specifications listing the fov of this 7x45 binocular as 389'. That gives an angular fov of 7.4* and an apparent field of some 52*. My initial thought was that this was going to pose some problems as that is not much wider that the narrow fov of a typical 7x50. I did ask Maven if the fov specification was correct and they said it was. On e thing to remember is that the afov value is controlled to a large extent by magnification. You can increase afov by increasing magnification. You decrease afov by decreasing magnification. If the goal is to decrease magnification and increase the afov, you get into optical design limitations. To get a true wide field fov from a 7x binocular, the angle of the view has to increase. That is an eye piece function and while the limitations may well be overcome, it requires a more expensive eye piece design. That may well require a complete binocular overhaul, and we may be unwilling to pay the freight for the end result. However with that said, I was initially hoping for something close to the 450' fov of the Zeiss FL 7x42.

That wish for a wider fov seemed soundly echoed in my original impressions post. There were multiple comments about that 389' fov being simply too restrictive. I was prepared to see a somewhat restricted fov when I looked through the 7x45 for the first time. The very first and very obvious first impression this binocular created was that it was far from seeming restricted. It was also apparent after some viewing that it was not as apparently as wide as the 9x45 either. That discussion went around and around the Mulberry bush in that post. On one hand there was me saying “hold on folks, this is not as restrictive as the spec sheet would lead one to believe”, while on the other hand there were multiple musings that a fov that narrow just had to be unacceptable.

So rest assured that the very first thing I did with the 7x45 was to check the fov. I use a tape measure tacked on a wall and set the binocular securely mounted on a tripod with the center of the tripod as close to exactly 30' from the tape as I can measure it. I have come to use the center of the tripod because I think it is easiest to measure. Variations from placing the objectives at the 30' mark are not noticeable. I carefully center the horizontal tape and measure the amount of tape visible across the field. The 7x45 Maven B2 has for all intents and purposes a 420' fov. This is 8* angular field or a 56* afov. Not quite the 60* wide angle banner, but pretty close. That is the same fov of most contemporary high quality 7x offerings. It is a bit narrower that the Zeiss 7x42 FL, but it has a lot better sweet spot than the FL so there is not a lot of “grab your attention” difference between the two. It is however noticeably narrower than my ZEN ED 2 7x36 which has a 486' fov. It is also sharper than the ZEN and again, has better edge performance than the ZEN.

Comparing the field width of the Maven to some other on hand 7x glass I have in my collection:

My 7x50 Bushnell Navigator with a stated, and confirmed on my tripod, fov of 7.5* or 393' , the Maven is “poke you in the eye” obviously wider and far less restrictive. That difference is even more apparent comparing to a typical 376' fov of a few vintage porros.

Against my 7x35 Bushnell Custom porro with a stated and confirmed 8*, 420' fov, the apparent width advantage goes to the Maven. They both however measure just the same.

All of my Maven binoculars measure wider than stated specifications. The only other contemporary roof that measures wider than specified is my 8x42 Kruger Caldera. It is listed as 438' but measures 460'. There is some variation in a few of my older vintage glass. On the whole my method seems to equate pretty closely with the specifications.

I set up a 100 yard fov measurement setup and the 8* fov of the 7x45 was repeated. A quick check at a mile distance was true to the 8* initial measurement as well. So I believe there is the reason for my initial impression of a wider than stated fov. I feel confident in saying you are not likely to feel restricted by the B2 unless you have an affinity for the older vintage porros with 10-11* fov.

I have yet to hear from Maven on this issue. However I think what we see is The OEM taking a conservative stance. Nobody will complain if the tested fov is wider than the listed fov, while a tested fov that is narrower than specification will draw some flack. Personally I think the conservative listing will hamper sales irrespective of what the fov is.

Maven B3 6x30

After the fov discovery of the 7x45 I measured the 6x30 B3. It is listed as 420', but measures 460'. All with the same setups I used with the 7x45. Against the popular Leupold Yosemite 6x30 which has a listed 420', and which matches my test results, the Maven is again “poke you in the eye” apparently wider. The difference is patently obvious. Same with the listed 420' fov of the eagle Optics 6.5x32. The fov difference with the Vortex 6.5x32 Fury, listed at 445', is less obvious and it and the Maven are too close together to tell apart without actual measurement.

Optical performance

The day I received these two binoculars was the day before what I refer to as the “Great Goose Scram”. This area has literally millions of the Greater White Fronted Goose here in the spring Migration. The official name is to me patently ridiculous. Those Geese have lots of white, but it is not on their front end. The more commonly used local name is the Specklebelly Goose or just plain Speck. At any rate they show up sometime in early February and leave about mid April. You get a few early leavers and a few later stragglers, but the main great scram happens in about two to three days. The binoculars got here one late afternoon. The next morning I took them out to begin wringing them out. Just about the first thing I saw was a large flock of Specks V'ed out and headed north. Biologists tell us they fly non stop from here to their breeding grounds in the vicinity of the Arctic Circle. This flock was about a half mile long and on a typical outward route about four miles east of me and at this point about 7,000' in elevation. As I watched to the south there were literally more of the large flocks that kept coming into view one after the other than I could keep count of. The little 6x30 showed up the distant Specks quite well and I really did not wish for much more. Ditto the 7x45. The 9x45 did not give any better detail.. Not much to be gained from a medium sized goose at four miles. I watched this for well over an hour and they were still forming up and headed north.

These flocks were between me and the sun and CA was not an issue with either binocular. Neither binocular uses field flatteners, both having some curvature toward the outer edge and minimally noticeable edge distortion. The terrestrial sweet spots are apparently quite large. The Astronomical sweet spots are somewhat smaller. Using the gradations on the tape in the fov tests, The distortion begins to be noticeable at about 75- 80% of the way to the edge.

Both binoculars are bright and razor sharp, with a slight edge to the 7x45. Colors are bright and true to their natural state. The have excellent contrast, with the edge to the 7x45. They both have a very easy on the eye, relaxed view, both being a pleasure to use.

So what do they compare to:

This is the ubiquitous question. Let's do the 7x45 first. Leaving the stated fov specification aside, the real (as measured), fov seems on par with most of the quality 7x binoculars available today. The 420' fov compares favorably with Swarovski, Leica, Meopta, and Nikon offerings. The Zeiss 7x42 FL is a bit wider, but the B2 has a lot better edge performance, so the real difference will be solely a personal matter of preference. The B2 is by some means the largest of the lot, but has the AK prism transmission advantage and slightly larger exit pupils. As I have mentioned previously in the 9x45 review the wider ocular placement of the B2's AK design seems to create an enhanced 3-D effect. This seems particularly noticeable when coupled with the increase dof of the 7x magnification.

The focus mechanism on the B2 is as good as any to be found. As with the 9x45, I can focus on my toes. If you have a 7x full sized alpha you are satisfied with, then the B2 may not have a lot of interest. But if you are a fan of the 7x magnification and the $1,000 of the B2 suits your wallet, then rest assured your B2 will be all of the binocular you will need. Maybe more than you need, realizing it is not a small binocular. However, the balance of this thing is terrific and it does not seem nearly as heavy as one would think.

There are also not a lot of competitors in the 6x magnification range either. The B3 is clearly brighter and sharper than the Yosemite, Kingbird and Fury. It is in many ways similar to the Vortex Viper HD 6x30, but the field advantage is in the Maven's favor here.

I have reached the conclusion that there is really little to be gained by upgrading binoculars. For my view, the difference in image quality between any of the Maven binoculars and any of the top tier Alpha binoculars is pretty minimal. I am not going to say that there is no difference in the view, as some binoculars at this level do some things better than others. At any level they all have faults. With the Maven I really have to stop an think...“just what was it I liked better about (insert name here)”. When the difference is not large enough to leave a distinct, lasting impression, then for me, the difference is moot. The real key to a users satisfaction with a binocular is with the user's ability to just use the binocular and enjoy it for what it is, not to detract based on what it is not. The little voice we have telling us there has to be something better seems to be a human trait. Neither good nor bad, just a trait. Some can quell the little voices with less money than others, who may require the expenditure of top tier price that gives them their required satisfaction level.

My preferences in magnification seem to be changing somewhat as I get older. For whatever reasons, I seem to prefer a bit more magnification now than I did a couple of years ago. For that reason I am sticking with my current choice of the 9x45 B2 and 8x30 B3 as my main binocular combo. While the 3-D and dof of the 7x45 is compelling, it does not have the extraordinarily wide feel of the 9x sibling. The same is true for the 6xvs the 8x30, for my tastes.

The Maven binoculars, while some will always place a notch below the top tier glass simply because of what they are not, are seriously good optical instruments. They are good enough to have caused me to spend my money on them, and I do not hesitate to recommend them. If you are really interested in a seriously good full size binocular with a large EP, then the 7x45 is certainly worth the effort to get some time with. If you need a small glass and would like a 6x specimen, ditto the 6x30.

I could add more, but this is enough for now.

Great write up!

Obviously the only issues with the 7X45 are FOV and size/weight. Certainly a 10% or so difference in binocular weight is of little consequence. The FOV issue is the main issue IMO. Looks like you put that to rest. Did you just measure the FOV at 100yds then X 10? I believe the 420ft at 1000yds is exactly what my SLC 7X42 is. That's about what it should be... It will be interesting to hear what the Boy's at Maven have to say about your findings.

I honestly really like my 9X45 as well. With that choice I certainly never have to cross the 8X vs. 10X bridge! But I HAVE been eyeballing the B.1 8X42...but now that you cleared up the FOV issue of the 7X45....hmmmm. One thing I like about Maven's...just get the other "stock" color pattern(or create your own) and you can easily tell which magnification is which at a glance even the same binocular model!

Certainly Maven's check a lot of boxes....build quality, optics/coating quality, smooth focus adjustment, and superior customer service...

Enjoyed your findings....:t:

Chuck,

I checked the fov first at 10 yards, then 100 yards then at almost a mile. The one at a mile is somewhat less precise I suppose, but the fence posts are placed every 10 feet along the fence. I used Google Earth to measure the fence from my vantage spot, both of which are clearly visible on GE.

I have sent the readings to Maven and have only briefly talked to them about it. They have been to some shows and I have been logging 12-14 hour days and phone tag has not gotten very far.

I really like the Maven customization offerings. However be advised that the custom colors are finished in such a way that they are less grippy than the stock black or gray. They are certainly not slick at all, but not quite so grippy as the stock.

Steve,

Drop a plumb bob from the tripod or optic and and you can precisely transfer your measuring point to the floor. Should tighten your measurement tolerances down to the size of a gnat's ass. However, not sure what point of the binocular you should be measuring from???

CG

Great write up Steve, thanks for posting.

Fans of 7x bins should also note Meopta do both a 7x42 and a 7x50, while Maven's excellent-sounding 7x45 treads the middle ground between them.

That 450 ft / 150 m FOV has not been bettered by Zeiss since it first appeared on the Dialyt 7x42. It was the same with the Night Owl 7x45 and FL 7x42 and I think this has been an opportunity missed.

Lee

That 450 ft / 150 m FOV has not been bettered by Zeiss since it first appeared on the Dialyt 7x42. It was the same with the Night Owl 7x45 and FL 7x42 and I think this has been an opportunity missed.

Lee

Hello Lee,

Yes, Zeiss managed to design some rather remarkable binoculars. Zeiss did not skimp on the eyepieces. That extra .5º over the Maven may mean a lot to some. Unfortunately, the Zeiss 7x42 FL is out of production. The older Dialyt is big but a very comfortable binocular to use.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Nice report Steve.

Good news that Maven are comming up with quality alternatives to the standard fare. Shame we don't see them over here.

David

OK, a couple further notes here. One is there are two accessories I seriously recommend here. The first is the Rick Young harness and the second is the Field Optics Research Winged Eye Guards. The harness is simply the best thing I have found. It handles the added weight of the B2 far better than I thought it would. This is seriously worth the money. The FOR shields fit precisely under the eye cups and prevent any downward movement of the eye cups if you use them extended. They also fold down out of the way quite easily.

I appears my thoughts on the desire of the OEM to post a conservative fov measurement seem to be correct. I have been in contact with Maven and they basically confirmed my assumption (which I noted above in the report). They have however prevailed with the 6x30 and have increased that fov spec upwards to 8.5* up from 8.2*. They are working on the 7x45. The OEM stance is they would rather be conservative than have people saying they are over generous with their data. They do figure evidently, that nobody will complain about getting a bigger feature than listed on the spec sheet.

I would not expect to see much advance in fov of magnification of <7x because that would take 9-10* ocular designs, which opens up a quite expensive set of issues to deal with, particularly with regard to eye relief and edge performance.

This seems a little strange in that I always thought the angular fov was mainly a mathematical function of the design of the binocular. As such I thought that if an OEM designed , say an 8* fov the limitations would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of say, 7.8-8.2*.

I feel pretty strongly that you will find the apparent fov of the 7x45 B2 to be much wider than one would expect from the spec sheet.

Last edited:
The field sizes are normally determined by the focal length of the eyepieces, which in turn depend on the focal length of the objective and the magnification.
As the eyepiece focal length gets bigger, it physically gets bigger depending on the design.

You often find that a 12x50, say Leica, has a wider AFOV than a 10x50, and that the eyepieces have more elements.
The size of the 10x and 12x eyepieces might be similar.

It is easier to have wider field eyepieces with higher magnifications.

The Nikon EII and SE are an example where the EII has shorter focal length eyepieces and objectives with wider fields than the SE.

The eye relief normally gets less with shorter focal lengths unless long eye relief designs are used.

The field sizes are normally determined by the focal length of the eyepieces, which in turn depend on the focal length of the objective and the magnification.
As the eyepiece focal length gets bigger, it physically gets bigger depending on the design.

You often find that a 12x50, say Leica, has a wider AFOV than a 10x50, and that the eyepieces have more elements.
The size of the 10x and 12x eyepieces might be similar.

It is easier to have wider field eyepieces with higher magnifications.

The Nikon EII and SE are an example where the EII has shorter focal length eyepieces and objectives with wider fields than the SE.

The eye relief normally gets less with shorter focal lengths unless long eye relief designs are used.

On a recent new thread about the 8x30 EII I asked if its objectives were f4 as one would expect. Several responses stated that they were shorter than that; possibly f3.6. That would also have an affect on the choice of the oculars used and on the FOV and cause more edge distortion too.

Bob

Gentlemen

Forgive my possible ignorance here but I get a little confused when the discussion hops from field of view to apparent field of view.

Apparent field of view, as I understand it, gives you the sensation of stepping into a wide vista, thus giving a pleasant feeling of being present inside the view.

On the other hand if you are considering the area that a pair of bins delivers to your eyes, for example the area of sky you can scan for hawks or the area of water you can scan for ducks, then for this you need a wide true field of view.

If I have this right, then the first is a pleasant illusion while the second is a tangible abillity to observe a given area without panning.

But maybe I have misunderstood. So which is it?

Lee

Hi Lee,
It is both, I suppose.

You can have the same real field with a 5x and 10x binocular. Say 5 degrees.
But the 5x binocular will have half the apparent field. 25 degrees AFOV.
In fact the view through the 5x is essentially the same as a Galilean field glass.
This might look O.K. to you, but not to me.

Bushnell and others often overstate the fields by saying the binocular is 5x25, when in fact, it is 4.4 x 25, or less than 25 maybe.

The fact that birdwatchers are mainly concerned with having a 6.5 degree real field means that there are no EWA binoculars made now.
It may be that 80 degree AFOV binoculars are difficult to make with high transmission as the multicoating may not be so effective at very oblique angles. I am not sure.
But if so I'd happily give up some transmission for an EWA.

It is because of this satisfaction with moderate fields that astronomers are short changed by poor AFOVs.
8 degrees for an 8x binocular is considered amazing. Well it isn't.

Last edited:
Gentlemen

Forgive my possible ignorance here but I get a little confused when the discussion hops from field of view to apparent field of view.

Apparent field of view, as I understand it, gives you the sensation of stepping into a wide vista, thus giving a pleasant feeling of being present inside the view.

On the other hand if you are considering the area that a pair of bins delivers to your eyes, for example the area of sky you can scan for hawks or the area of water you can scan for ducks, then for this you need a wide true field of view.

If I have this right, then the first is a pleasant illusion while the second is a tangible abillity to observe a given area without panning.

But maybe I have misunderstood. So which is it?

Lee

Lee (and other people! :girl: :)

:brains: Simply put, the 'Real Fov' is the one you can get the tape out and measure. Folks on here sometimes are want to confusicate the issue by mixing ft, m, yards, and km's, but measurin' any reduced multiple of ft at 1000yds, or m at 1km (1000m) and upscaling will give you the real deal. Simply multiply the m@1km figure by 3 to arrive at the ft@1000yds real field seen. The m width seen at 50, or 100m, are good places to start and then multiplicate appropriately from there.

The 'AFov' is RFov × Magnification. There are of course some vagaries around distortion profiles, and/or ISO standards, but that approximation is the guts of it. Some manufacturers are even starting to quote 'Actual' AFov's which account for all that stuff :h?: Then of course there's also one's physiological, neural, and individual interpretation and personal impression of all that fixed physics, and for some of us nutters that's a w-h-o-l-e 'nuther matter! :brains: Generally 60 degrees and over AFov is considered 'wide angle', though I find less than about 64 too confining for me, and the real joy of an 'immersive' view starts at 70 degrees + for me.

Bin, those well corrected (but too heavy for bins) 100 degree + astro and scope pieces must be something else :eek!: ..... I'm afeared we'll have to be waitin' on the digital revolution before we see those sorta AFov's in hand held bins ...... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like some of the 100 degree eyepieces. It may be that this is straying into the eyebrow, forehead habituation area.
I do like Nagler and Meade 82 to 84 degree eyepieces and some 90 degree ones.
There is a Nikon with about 103 degrees and a Koehler? copy at 120 degrees. Both these are about £1000 each.
Some people do like these 100 degree or larger AFOV eyepieces.

Personally, I don't like some of the 100 degree eyepieces. It may be that this is straying into the eyebrow, forehead habituation area.
I do like Nagler and Meade 82 to 84 degree eyepieces and some 90 degree ones.
There is a Nikon with about 103 degrees and a Koehler? copy at 120 degrees. Both these are about £1000 each.
Some people do like these 100 degree or larger AFOV eyepieces.

Uh-Oh! :eek!: :eek!: ....... Bin, let's not get into the hyperobsevational perception of space again, otherwise we'll all be plagued by that strange new view of the nose's on our face's! :-O

80 well corrected degrees AFov would be nice though .... In a 7x at say a close in birding range of ~20m, surprisingly you're talking about 4m real Fov v's about 2.8m or so of something like the 140m 7× Maven ....... that's quite a few extra restless LBJ's and hyperactive geewhizzits! |:d| :flyaway:

Simply put, the 'Real Fov' is the one you can get the tape out and measure.

Thanks CJ, this is what I meant by tangible.

As far as I understand, apparent fields of view can look and feel BIG, but actually don't necessarily cover as big an area of sky or water.

Lee

Last edited:
We don't need a reason to prefer the real or apparent fields that we like.
It is just how it is to each individual, and it may vary.

My first telescope that I used every day for ten years had Huyghenian eyepieces with perhaps 35 degree AFOV.

Probably my best eyepiece later was an Edmunds RKE 8mm, 3 element with about 48 degree apparent field.
And also Orthos and Kelners.
Only later did Naglers turn up with 82 degree AFOVs.

With binoculars I prefer 70 to 80 degree AFOVs, but make do with less sometimes.

As to measuring real fields.
Just look at Ursa Major stars and measure the field.
Alpha and Beta are 5 deg 22 minutes apart etc.

Difficult in Australia, but you have stars there also.

Last edited:
AFOV is sort of a hard thing to get your mind around. For one thing the magnification of the binocular has a profound effect on the AFOV, as does the angular FOV. The difference I think is best when comparing two similar binoculars of different magnifications with nearly the same angular FOV. A couple that come immediately to mind are the original Vortex Vipers and the first phase corrected Monarch ATB binoculars. Both have 8x and 10x versions and both about the same angular fov. The way I look at it is that the 10x version is looking at the same amount of space as the 8x versions. However since the 10x is some 20% greater in magnification and that image is displayed in the same total space, the the image has to appear wider. The 8x in this instance are about 48* or thereabouts AFOV while the 10x is 60* . Things get less profound when magnification differences are less than 20% and when comparing two different angular FOV dimensions. Then the thing gets further compounded when the OEM in the case of the Maven B2 is comfortable understating the angular FOV by a half degree or more.

So wider AFOV will go to the greater magnification in most instances (that is REALLY evident when you get the 9x and 7x Mavens side by side, the 9x kicks the 7x in the backside, despite having a slightly narrower fov), and as the magnification decreases the AFOV necessarily decreases, remember magnification x angular fov. So if we need to increase AFOV with a 7x, we need to get to 9-10* eye piece designs. Not many of those around. Other things besides wide angle views become more important as magnification decreases.

Then there is the thing about how different eyes in different people quite literally do not see things the same way. For instance, in my review example of the “poke you in the eye” immediately apparent width advantage of the Maven B2 vs the Bushnell Navigator. The Maven spec is 7.4* and the Bushnell spec is 7.5*. Add the apparent understating of the B2 fov then things become confused. Another difference in these two binoculars is the Bushnell had a much larger black ring around the image than does the Maven, more of a tunnel effect if you will. There are lots of things to enter into how people see things. The expectations of the viewer are a huge variable. Just because two similar binoculars have the same AFOV does not mean every viewer will see them as both the same. The key is apparent. What is apparent to one may be more or less apparent to another. The magnification x field is a handy way to add a comparative dimension. It does not really solve much when a pair of eyes gets placed behind the eye pieces.

Spec sheets drive expectations to a large degree. When they see the B2 spec of 389', they will see...this is too narrow/restrictive. The reality (from my perspective anyway) is that this B2 is a long ways from restrictive. I can say it is really an 8* field, but more people are going to see the spec sheet than will see my review.

Last edited:
Alpha owners talk about 'immersion', 'presence' and' being there'. Are these sensations related to AFOV or to the angle subtended from the eye to the objective stops, or what?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back