• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven, Meopta or Zeiss 10 x 42? (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

I am shopping for a top quality roof 10 x 42 binocular in the $1000 price range and I think I have narrowed my choice down to either the Maven B1.2 10 x 42, the Meopta Meopro Air 10 x 42 or the Zeiss Conquest HD 10 x 42.

Which of these 3 would be the best in ALL of these 3 characteristics?....... build quality, optics and ergonomics?

Thanks
Michael in NJ

Last edited:
Michael,

You are going to get different answers to this question, and I am sure there will be suggestions for other/additional 10x42 models also (that you did not ask for). I would try before you buy - see what best fits your eyes.

Good Luck

I prefer the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 out of your three choices. It has excellent build quality and ergonomics. Optically, I like it because it has very high transmission of around 93%, and it controls glare very well. Two important things I look for in a binocular. That being said, as dries 1 says above it is best to try them your self because everybodies eye and eye sockets differ and one of the other two choices may work better for you, or you may prefer them for other reasons.

Hi,

may I humbly suggest a trip to the big apple and try some 10x42 pairs at BH Photo Video...

From a quick search on their website - I found the following ones I personally would also try along the Conquest or Meopro:

Nikon MHD 10x42 - for widest true field with field flattener in a compact and light package (their apparent field is calculated differently than with other brands and thus not really comparable)
Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 (discounted heavily atm to $999) - probably optically best of the bunch - if you really don't like CA, you won't get any there... neither small nor light though.
Opticron DBA VHD+ 10x42 - save a few bucks at $799 and it was designed to play in the $1000 class... and does so well.

Maven is a Kamakura reseller with mainly direct sales... their products are sound as expected from Kamakura, but hard to test in a brick and mortar store... they tout no retail markup due to their direct marketing but I personally don't see the advantage in their price structure.

Joachim

Zeiss Conquest without a shadow of doubt from those three.

I tried the Maven and I hated it. I have large hands (Glove size 11) and it just was an ergonomic nightmare. Plus the view wasn't up to scratch imho. The Zeiss conquest is my firm choice.

Hi,

may I humbly suggest a trip to the big apple and try some 10x42 pairs at BH Photo Video...

From a quick search on their website - I found the following ones I personally would also try along the Conquest or Meopro:

Nikon MHD 10x42 - for widest true field with field flattener in a compact and light package (their apparent field is calculated differently than with other brands and thus not really comparable)
Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 (discounted heavily atm to $999) - probably optically best of the bunch - if you really don't like CA, you won't get any there... neither small nor light though.
Opticron DBA VHD+ 10x42 - save a few bucks at $799 and it was designed to play in the $1000 class... and does so well.

Maven is a Kamakura reseller with mainly direct sales... their products are sound as expected from Kamakura, but hard to test in a brick and mortar store... they tout no retail markup due to their direct marketing but I personally don't see the advantage in their price structure.

Joachim
The Kowa's are a good choice if you are sensitive to CA, but remember they are almost 34 oz. which is very heavy even for a 44 mm, and they have softer edges than an SLC or Meostar.

I tried the Maven and I hated it. I have large hands (Glove size 11) and it just was an ergonomic nightmare. Plus the view wasn't up to scratch imho. The Zeiss conquest is my firm choice.
Interesting, I've never tried the Maven, but have owned the Conquest, and now the Meopta.
The Meopta is a step up from the Conquest to my eyes, and a better feeling optical instrument. Otherwise I would still be the owner of Conquests.
That's not knocking Conquests, I'm a huge fan, great value for money binos, but they do not match a Meopta.
Optically, the Meoptas fare very well with the big three Alphas, and CA is superbly controlled.
But check em out for yourself, everyone is different.

And Kowas are similar to Conquests to me, very even, but the eyecups just don't work for me. Couldn't get on with them.
Nice Binocular though. CA well controlled(y)

My apologies, I have just noticed you said Meopro Air.
I can't comment, I haven't looked through those.
Ignore everything I said😖😀

Can't go wrong with Conquests though, and they're built like a tank👍

Also I fully agree with jring post#4.... Opticrons are quite possible the best bang for your buck out there.
Haven't seen the Auroras yet but the DBA VHD+ were the best £600 binocular by some margin for my eyes.
Excellent performance.
Try and stretch to Meostars if you can though..... very impressive.

Interesting, I've never tried the Maven, but have owned the Conquest, and now the Meopta.
The Meopta is a step up from the Conquest to my eyes, and a better feeling optical instrument. Otherwise I would still be the owner of Conquests.
That's not knocking Conquests, I'm a huge fan, great value for money binos, but they do not match a Meopta.
Optically, the Meoptas fare very well with the big three Alphas, and CA is superbly controlled.
But check em out for yourself, everyone is different.
The problem I have with the Meopta Meostar and Meopro is the relatively low transmissions compared to the Conquest. They are almost 10% lower and it makes a big difference in brightness. If you don't care about brightness, or you don't use your binocular in low light, they are fine. The Meopta's are not bright binoculars for their aperture size. I had the Meopro, and it had really soft edges. I got rid of it right away. I have never had the Opticron, but I do have an Opticron DBA VHD+ 8x42 monocular, and it is one of the best monoculars I have had, so if the binoculars are as good they must be good.

Im all good with Opticron Aurora.

My bino for life hunt ended the moment they were set to my eyes in a dusk dappled pine forest dripping with gentle rain. The view just took away the bin and put me in the scene.

Im all good with Opticron Aurora.

My bino for life hunt ended the moment they were set to my eyes in a dusk dappled pine forest dripping with gentle rain. The view just took away the bin and put me in the scene.
I am going to have to try those Opticron's sometime. What size of the Opticron Aurora did you have? You are not a writer, are you? I love your wording!

"dusk dappled pine forest dripping with gentle rain"

The problem I have with the Meopta Meostar and Meopro is the relatively low transmissions compared to the Conquest. They are almost 10% lower and it makes a big difference in brightness. If you don't care about brightness, or you don't use your binocular in low light, they are fine. The Meopta's are not bright binoculars for their aperture size. I had the Meopro, and it had really soft edges. I got rid of it right away. I have never had the Opticron, but I do have an Opticron DBA VHD+ 8x42 monocular, and it is one of the best monoculars I have had, so if the binoculars are as good they must be good.

Brightness just isn't a big enough factor for me to decide a purchase.
My old 8x42 Conquests, which I sold to a friend and still get to look through, are brighter than my Meostars, with the brighter optics of Zeiss, and the larger exit pupil, but I much prefer the view through the Meostars. It's richer, warmer, more colourful, and just nicer, but that's just me.
It's why my top of the tree bino's are still Ultravid UHD+..... lovely view.... probably a bit behind on specifications, but they just look ace(y). Meostars have a very similar view.

I am going to have to try those Opticron's sometime. What size of the Opticron Aurora did you have? You are not a writer, are you? I love your wording!

"dusk dappled pine forest dripping with gentle rain"

Opticr5on 8x42 - and they are absolutely sublime. Worth every single penny. I have zero regrets.

Brightness just isn't a big enough factor for me to decide a purchase.
My old 8x42 Conquests, which I sold to a friend and still get to look through, are brighter than my Meostars, with the brighter optics of Zeiss, and the larger exit pupil, but I much prefer the view through the Meostars. It's richer, warmer, more colourful, and just nicer, but that's just me.
It's why my top of the tree bino's are still Ultravid UHD+..... lovely view.... probably a bit behind on specifications, but they just look ace(y). Meostars have a very similar view.
Do you notice any yellow tint at all with the Meopta's?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back