• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B1.2 or Meopta MeoPro Air? (1 Viewer)

I could be wrong here, and if I am, someone will jump on me, but I believe Meopta are fully 'In House' with their manufacturing, same as Swaro.
I really like that, Don't know why..... I just DO !!
Meopta are manufactured fully "in house" with only the lower end Optika brand having outsourced Asian components, but final assembly is still in the Czech Republic. Here is an interesting article on Meopta and how their binoculars are built. It is very impressive.

Manufacturing of components in Asia​

"Although design, manufacturing and assembly of most products are carried out at the Meopta Prerov factory, manufacturing of individual components of the Meopta’s Optika HD series, the affordable series of binoculars, have been outsourced to Asia (most probably, Philippines), citing reasons, such as high manufacturing and labor costs in the Czech Republic. Only individual parts are sourced from Asia and the rest of the assembly process is carried out in the Prerov location, along with the remaining products. While the Czech Republic maintains a fairly lower production and labor cost along with some other countries in Europe, it is still relatively higher compared to labor overheads in Asian countries like Vietnam and China."

He dropped the price from $750.00, I was contemplating it but decided I already have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much glass. From what others have said the HD series in 42 are excellent. Glad they worked out for you.
Yes, I offered him $600 at first, but we settled on $650 shipped, which was a great deal. They were just like new like he said.

Yes, I offered him $600 at first, but we settled on $650 shipped, which was a great deal. They were just like new like he said.
That’s a steal for the quality of these binoculars. That’s like 50 cents on the dollar for optics as good or better than MHG, Conquest, Trinovid HD. With better built than all of those.

I recently was looking for a good 10x42 and I considered an SLC 10x42, but they are a little difficult to find new especially with any kind of discount and I only wanted to spend about $1000, so I was in your position. I tried the Leica Trinovid 10x42, the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 and the new Meopta Meopro Air 10x42. The Leica was a "floater" for me meaning the eye cups were too short for the eye relief, so it was out. The Zeiss Conquest HD had great optics, and they were very bright, but I had a ring of light around the FOV almost like I was seeing beyond the field stop, so it was out. The Nikon is bright and has a big FOV, but it had too much CA especially on the edge for me, so it was out. I chose the Meopta Meopro 10x42 because it ticked more of my boxes than any of the other choices. It is Meopta's new model, and it is more modern looking and lighter than the Meostars, and it has an open bridge like the Swarovski EL, so it is very comfortable in your hands. Optically I find it equal to the Meostar for less money. Your preferences and physiology are different, so the best thing is to try these four and see which one you prefer. If the Zeiss or Leica work for you, they are also very nice binoculars. I have the SLC 8x42 and I find the Meopta Meopro Air 10x42 to be every bit as good quality wise and optic wise as the SLC.
Come on guys - with Dennis it's just a love hate relationship - sort of like our wives or girlfriends at times. As much as I spar with him occasionally, I still enjoy good comedy, and his posts generally bring a smile to my face and actually some info at times. I think of him and binos like Baskin Robbins ice cream - you never know what the flavor of the week is going to be.

Above is his Meopro Air review posted on 3/23/2021. It has pictures, but as usual they are stock photos.

Raptorbfl

Perhaps much of this thread could have been avoided had you merely responded to Dennis in the beginning telling him that you had previously purchased a GPO 10x42 HD Passion and posted this review on 6/24/2021.
I recently purchased the GPO Passion HD 10 x 42 and I can tell you the fit and finish and build quality is very much equal to the Zeiss Conquest! Also the best eye cup design I have seen. They just ozz quality.

Tom

That’s a steal for the quality of these binoculars. That’s like 50 cents on the dollar for optics as good or better than MHG, Conquest, Trinovid HD. With better built than all of those.
I agree. I always watch the classified and the Binocular Bargain thread to see what comes up. Dries told me about those on the Binocular Bargain thread.

If something is for girlymen it also implicitly for girls/women as well, correct?
Oh boy did I step into that 😩. It was probably the caveman , chauvinistic, toxic male masculinity
person in me my wife says I can be. I talk the talk but I really don’t walk the walk. Another one of my bad attempts at humor. I apologize if I offended anybody 😢. There you see, I used an emoji with a tear to show feminine side. Did I just do it again 🤔.

Oh boy did I step into that 😩. It was probably the caveman , chauvinistic, toxic male masculinity
person in me my wife says I can be. I talk the talk but I really don’t walk the walk. Another one of my bad attempts at humor. I apologize if I offended anybody 😢. There you see, I used an emoji with a tear to show feminine side. Did I just do it again 🤔.
That is ok! I thought it was funny, but sometimes it is hard not to offend somebody when you post. When somebody reads a post, they can't "hear" the way you said it, and sometimes they take it differently. I experience that all the time!

Last edited:
Looking to purchase a $1000 10 x 42 binocular and after much research, have narrowed my choices down between either the Maven B1.2 or the Meopta Meopro Air 10 x 42.
What are you all thoughts and experience with these 2 models? Which is known to have the better build quality, ergonomics and optical quality?

Thanks
Maven. Amazingly bright, great field of view, clear and sharp to the edge, excellent glass and built, outstanding warranty, great value for the money, direct to consumer (no retail markup).

That is ok! I thought it was funny, but sometimes it is hard not to offend somebody when you post. When somebody reads a post, they can't "hear" the way you said it, and sometimes they take it differently. I experience that all the time!
you’re not kidding when you say it’s not hard to offend somebody today. Today it seems like you have to be so careful how you say something. I could be my age group but years ago if you had said something that somebody didn’t like they just looked at you and called you a jerk. Today they wanna call it abuse and you should be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of their beliefs. And of course we don’t want to dismiss the cultural differences considering we converse here worldwide.

you’re not kidding when you say it’s not hard to offend somebody today. Today it seems like you have to be so careful how you say something. I could be my age group but years ago if you had said something that somebody didn’t like they just looked at you and called you a jerk. Today they wanna call it abuse and you should be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of their beliefs. And of course we don’t want to dismiss the cultural differences considering we converse here worldwide.
Indeed but 'years ago' chances are you were calling a pal a jerk with a grin on your face and he could see you were just joshing and then he joshed right back at you and you went for a beer.
On the internet with no tone of voice, no body language and no facial expression to give you clues it is easy to misunderstand the attitude behind a post.

Lee

Better - This one makes sense as a joke.

Ignoring people, if anything, strikes me as closer to a manly stereotype so it doesn't quite land as a dig at women generally or at Eitan specifically. But now I think I get what you were going for.

Better - This one makes sense as a joke.

Ignoring people, if anything, strikes me as closer to a manly stereotype so it doesn't quite land as a dig at women generally or at Eitan specifically. But now I think I get what you were going for.
It’s funny (is that a good word here) that in my mind girlyman is a derogatory for man but not derogatory in the sense it’s bad to be girly. Girls, woman are more in tune (not all, not trying to be to general here) more communicative , which is a good thing. When a man is being that way some other men will look at him and say you’re being like a girl. Like in don't be communicative , just ignore the creep. I had to think about this before I hit the post button 🤔

I wonder if the administrators could make it so that persons placed on your Ignore list cannot read what you write - in the same way that ignoring them removes their postings (though unfortunately not their replies) from what you can see.

I wonder if the administrators could make it so that persons placed on your Ignore list cannot read what you write - in the same way that ignoring them removes their postings (though unfortunately not their replies) from what you can see.
Nah, I don't want to be a girly boy. I want to read everybodies post because you might learn something interesting!

Indeed but 'years ago' chances are you were calling a pal a jerk with a grin on your face and he could see you were just joshing and then he joshed right back at you and you went for a beer.
On the internet with no tone of voice, no body language and no facial expression to give you clues it is easy to misunderstand the attitude behind a post.

Lee
With all the stuff going on like the Pandemic, I think people have shorter tempers than they used to also! We live in tough times now. I preferred the seventies because I think people were happier.

With all the stuff going on like the Pandemic, I think people have shorter tempers than they used to also! We live in tough times now. I preferred the seventies because I think people were happier.
You could be right about this. Working from home using remote communication cuts face-to-face interaction with other people and can slow down communication, causing frustrations and stress. Although modern communications are amazing, they can't replace those moments when you stuck your head around someone's office door and asked them a quick question, or meeting someone in the corridor and clarifying something in 15 seconds instead of two emails and a phone call..........

Lee

Maven. Amazingly bright, great field of view, clear and sharp to the edge, excellent glass and built, outstanding warranty, great value for the money, direct to consumer (no retail markup).
barking dog,

I am not sure I buy the "no retail markup". Where exactly is the savings?? They are $1000 binoculars just like all the rest competing in that price range.

barking dog,

I am not sure I buy the "no retail markup". Where exactly is the savings?? They are $1000 binoculars just like all the rest competing in that price range.
The above is correct. There is indeed a retail markup. There has to be, since they are a for-profit company. Maven gets to keep more of that markup since they don't sell to a distributor. Given that Maven's binos are sold at full retail, their profit per unit must be quite high. Good idea from the make money business standpoint, but not so much so for potential customers.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back