• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maybe still (one of) the best binoculars for in the woods (2 Viewers)

As I was late to the show I only managed to get a black pair, but since I got them they have been in pretty much daily use. I love my 2012 7x42 T* FLs (bought NOS last year) - if one can love a pair of binoculars.
Needless to add, that I certainly agree with the OP.

A really amazing Bino. I‘am unhappy, because I sold it in the Past. I also sold my 7x42 Dialyt. 7x42 with such a field of view and quality is unbeatable! Allround for all light Situations. Enjoy yours!

Peter

Yesterday, I was out on a guided birding walk and someone had a black pair. He said that these binoculars had served him well for several years. His brother-in-law had a pair of Swarovski SLC’s and said he liked the Zeiss FL’s better.
I never tried a Swarovski 7x42 SLC but would like to ad one to my collection, for scientific research 😜.

Maybe still (one of) the best binoculars for in the woods​

Equally true for the black one …:)
I wonder if Zeiss still has the green armor in stock as Leica has when they put a new green coat on a my (previous) black Trinovid BN?

A really amazing Bino. I‘am unhappy, because I sold it in the Past. I also sold my 7x42 Dialyt. 7x42 with such a field of view and quality is unbeatable! Allround for all light Situations. Enjoy yours!

Peter
Thanks a lot Aquaplas! My motto is: never sell a good bin when possible. The FL gives some of the sharpest and brightest views of all my binoculars. But my Leica Trinovid 7x42 BN has better contrast and has that beautiful Leica colors. Both equally great binoculars, each in their own unique way..

As I was late to the show I only managed to get a black pair, but since I got them they have been in pretty much daily use. I love my 2012 7x42 T* FLs (bought NOS last year) - if one can love a pair of binoculars.
Needless to add, that I certainly agree with the OP.
Black, green… i love them all ❤️ 😝

7x42 EDG are my favorite and most-used binos, and I love Zeiss, so I've always wanted to try the 7x42 Victory FL's. They're the closest any of us is going to get to a 7x42 SF I suppose. That green color is awesome! Didn't even know they came in green. 7x and green....two things I wish Zeiss would bring back :)

IMG_7157.jpeg

For a few months now i own this beautiful FL 8x56 that i bought for a very friendly price from a fellow BF member (as wel as the green 7x btw but from another member) but i never compared them side by side in the field. So today i did a 3 hour walk trough mud and puddles while carrying the big eyes bandolier style. My wife took the 7’s.

As it was cold, i had a thick coat and maybe because of this -to my surprise- it felt good, not too heavy at all. The view of the 7x42 is very good but at least today with the dark clouds and some periods with rain the 8x56 is excellent. Your eyes get a lot of information through the 56 mm with 8x magnification and i can move my eyes around, its a great experience. It’s my first x56 and i like it a lot, i think they are the sharpest bins that i have and they show extreme detail. Build quality seems even better than the 7’s for some reason. They feel like a tank. No field flatterers so if you are allergic to edge blur and field curvature this is not the right binocular. For me though these are truly special binoculars and are highly addictive to look through, they have some strange magic I can’t explain. I will try to find a 10x56 as well!

In low light nothing beats a 7x50 binocular. Sailing at night and needing to spot other boats and determine which navigation markers to use the 7x50 were like having night vision optics.

A 50mm objective has 41% greater surface area than a 42mm objective and that makes for far greater light transmission. Coatings can help with contrast but not increase light transmission significantly.

In low light nothing beats a 7x50 binocular. Sailing at night and needing to spot other boats and determine which navigation markers to use the 7x50 were like having night vision optics.

A 50mm objective has 41% greater surface area than a 42mm objective and that makes for far greater light transmission. Coatings can help with contrast but not increase light transmission significantly.

But this depends on the size of eye pupil. For an older person a 7x42 will be as bright. Yes even older a 7x35 as well. The 7,14mm exit pupil of 7x50 can be fully used only by pretty young persons, up to 30 years old. There are some individual variations, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back