• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maybe still (one of) the best binoculars for in the woods (4 Viewers)

So, BN vs FL in 7X? I've been tempted to snag one. Which should it be?
The BN's can be found under $1k, but the FL's are really retaining their value and hard to find in nice condition under $1500 (and recent Loutec versions).
If you only look at the price-performance ratio i think the BN’s are a somewhat better choice, especially if you can find one that is still under the 30 year warranty period. The build quality seems to me also a bit better on the Leica’s. But you don’t get the brighter Abbe-Koenig prisms and the 10 m wider FOV in a lighter package with a butter smooth focus. Best is to buy both if possible and decide which you like best as i try to do for more than a year and clearly -for me-there is no winner. Good luck!

So, BN vs FL in 7X? I've been tempted to snag one. Which should it be?
The BN's can be found under $1k, but the FL's are really retaining their value and hard to find in nice condition under $1500 (and recent Loutec versions).
Flip a coin! I’d prob just get an Ultravid. For me the BN was sweet but the focus is easier to get to with an Ultravid of course. As far as Lotutec goes…my FL 7X42 is pre-Lotutec. I wouldn’t take anything for it!

the BN, to my eyes at least, had a very noticeable yellow cast
I suspect any binocular with silvered Schmidt Pechan prisms (like the BA/BN series) will have a warm tint - I've definitely noticed this in Zeiss Dialyts and mark II Swaro SLC, its rough contemporaries. It's more apparent in some conditions than others and I actually appreciate it somewhat when the light is very harsh and bright. But I do think dielectric coatings represent a step forward in terms of colour neutrality as well as brightness.

There really is something about Trinovids. The Ultravids are a sensible and welcome evolution, but the tank-like construction of the Trinovids is just so comforting.
I really like how they did the hinge covers in green on these. A quick google image search shows that they also made these with the black hinge covers.
Also, Check out these 10x42 BAs. Everything is green - case, hinge covers, eyecups, focus wheel, strap, rain guard. They even have a green badge. These have gotta be the greenest binoculars they ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back