• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meopro HD80 (2 Viewers)

After reading good reviews online I'm planning to buy this scope in a few weeks. Offcourse I will compare it to some more expensive contenders such as the Meopta Meostar S2 and the Swarovski ATS. But I'm curious... Are there better options in this price range ( here in the Netherlands approx €1300) with a 80mm objective? Allthough the main goal is watching birds and wildlife I like to try digiscoping. Question, is the Meopix Uni 2 a suitable option? Also I'm curious about the stay on case. Is this a necessery option? I have a Manfrotto tripod but good suggestions for a light weight tripod are welcom.

You will love the S2 Spotter from Meopta. I have let two friends use mine, and both now have their own. I have also used Meopta's Meopix Uni 2 with my iPhone to photograph Raptors. I was surprised at how well it works for the price. I know everyone has their own opinion. I don't think you can beat Meopta glass for the money. That's probably why the S2 can be tough to find in stock. If you do find one, buy it!

Nikon Monarch ED82 is well liked here and would be worth a look at ~$1500. We have the S2 (which does go on sale at times at least in the US) and of course ATS is good (but doesn't). The Uni 2 has good reviews and we would have got one but still aren't digiscoping. We use a carrying case but find a stay-on unnecessary (the scope is armored after all) and it gets in the way of focusing. A fluid head is highly advisable. There's a whole section to read here on tripods and heads. Good hunting!

NO better options in my thinking...the Swaro I feel has an edge over the Meopta in terms of smoothness as you focus, but the Meopta is one solid 'military grade' spotting scope....very well done. These two scopes are the tops on the market for a reasonable price ( in today's world).....

Bought one from B&H. Clear and bright. You want a better scope? You better spend a bunch more money. Downside... Actual zoom is 20-35. The optional scope jacket is 150 bucks, and aggravating. ... I've been gearing up for Hawk,-watching season in the fall by tracking the local Turkey Vulture roost. Two miles in average light is the practical limit for this scope on an average size Hawk. Vultures are still easy at four miles. I had a pair of Red-Tails in it the other day, and I swear I could not find those birds in the sky with binoculars. ...My tripod is a heavy old Manfrotto with a silky smooth head. The scope fits on without an extra plate . Verdict: I am glad I bought this scope

Bought one from B&H. Clear and bright. You want a better scope? You better spend a bunch more money. Downside... Actual zoom is 20-35. The optional scope jacket is 150 bucks, and aggravating. ... I've been gearing up for Hawk,-watching season in the fall by tracking the local Turkey Vulture roost. Two miles in average light is the practical limit for this scope on an average size Hawk. Vultures are still easy at four miles. I had a pair of Red-Tails in it the other day, and I swear I could not find those birds in the sky with binoculars. ...My tripod is a heavy old Manfrotto with a silky smooth head. The scope fits on without an extra plate . Verdict: I am glad I bought this scope
GRRR!!! Minor problem, bad nitrogen purge. Meopta warranty stinks bigly. 12 week turnaround, and they can swap it out for something I don't want??? Crap on Meopta, look at the Vortex instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back