• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meostar B1.1 plus (1 Viewer)

The Meostar has upped the Meostar to a B1.1 Plus.....

I am assuming it is not much different from the B1.1 as the B2 is still 'off', to arrive some day far down the road.

Anyhow see or hold a B1.1 Plus yet? ...not sure if they are even in stock yet. For the money, I am sold on the Meostar line.
I
Hmm, brown one looks quite good.

I noticed the eye relief on the 8x32 B1 Plus is 16mm vs 15.5mm on the B1.1... Might this also mean an eyecup redesign? I have a slight illusion they look larger on the pictures? Would be nice...the B1s' were too small for my face...
I came across a gentleman on one of our short walking trails here in our gated community this past Xmas eve midday who had a Meopta 8x32 B1 Plus hanging around his neck. I told him I just ordered a pair a few hrs earlier and he was nice enough to let me handle his for a few minutes. It only took a few minutes for me to realize that me ordering the B1 Plus 8x32 earlier in the day was a mistake. Optically to my eyes I could not see any difference between the B1.1 and the B1 Plus. Cosmetically the B1 Plus with it slight change in color/armor overall I did like but not it’s handling and here’s why ..... the Plus do not have those finger indentations on the backside of its barrels like the original B1 and B1.1. which I really like. They really give your hands a nice secure/comfortable feel. The Original B1 and B1.1 look more streamlined with the B1 Plus looking like a brick. I saved this part for last because I know how important the eye relief/eye placement is to so many. The spec’s between the two on paper are ... the B1 plus having 16mm with the B1.1 with 15.5mm of eye relief. The eye cup height and ocular lens size of the B1 Plus visually looked the same size as my B1.1 without actually being able to measure them at the time. Now having said this ... with my facial characteristics with my glasses having thin lenses I did notice a slight improvement with the B1 Plus having more eye relief. Whether that very small increase from 15.5 to 16mm of eye relief with the Meopta 8x32 B1 Plus will be enough for someone else I can not say. I cancelled my order of the Meopta 8x32 B1 Plus the next day. To my eyes my Meopta Meostar 8x32 B1.1 does everything the B1 Plus does and for me personally I like their handling better.

Last edited:
Interesting gcole.... I haven't seen a B1.1 Plus yet...but was tempted to order a 10x42 since they don't have the Plus model in 10x32.

I have worked with the B1.1 10x32 and I do like it. The only negative is that it is a bit 'darker' so I was thinking of moving up to the 10x42 in the Plus. Although I did see a nice review on this site by Troubador and he really liked it 10x32 non-plus model. But I was thinking of picking up either the Plus 10x42 or a Trinovid 10x42. I miss my 10x's but might bypass the Plus now from your quick tryout.

Interesting gcole.... I haven't seen a B1.1 Plus yet...but was tempted to order a 10x42 since they don't have the Plus model in 10x32.

I have worked with the B1.1 10x32 and I do like it. The only negative is that it is a bit 'darker' so I was thinking of moving up to the 10x42 in the Plus. Although I did see a nice review on this site by Troubador and he really liked it 10x32 non-plus model. But I was thinking of picking up either the Plus 10x42 or a Trinovid 10x42. I miss my 10x's but might bypass the Plus now from your quick tryout.
One thing I would mention is the Meopta Meostar B1 Plus is cosmetically a really nice looking binocular. I just thought the sleeker looking B1.1 had a better feel, where the Plus just felt chunky and seemed larger than it actually is. The off green color now offered on the Plus I preferred much better than the color on the now discontinued B1 or the B1.1 Another thing to consider is the now higher price on the B1 Plus versions. SportOptics.com was offering the B1.1 8x32 at really discounted prices. At one point recently they offered the 8x32 B1.1 in their Bargain Cave New for $719, then they allowed another 16% off using the discount code Euro16 selling them for $633. That’s a pretty big step down from the regular price of $1079 for the 8x32 B1 Plus. I did see Cameraland NY offering the B1 Plus 8x32 for around $878 a few days ago. For me personally and it’s just my opinion, I just did not see the advertised changes (improvements)Meopta claims over the B1 or the B1.1 8x32 for the now asking prices of the B1 Plus 8x32 binoculars to be justified. I saw no value increase other than a better looking binocular. I have not handled the 42mm versions of any of the Meostars having the HD glass, I wonder how many positive opinions we will see here with the B1 Plus HD over the B1 or B1.1

From what I have read from Meopta, this forum etc...the B1 Plus is just a filler until the B2 comes along. Although the B2 I am sure has been delayed heavily by COVID so perhaps not until 2022 until we get a glimpse of it. Then the new MeoAir line ( which is still not out) will be their $1000 bin and the B2 will be whatever the market price is, but the B1.1 or Plus will essentially be gone (and most likely the MeoPro), so I am thinking there wasn't a lot of thought going into the Plus unless it was the body itself that was being updated and might be the new Design of the B2.

I never minded the green of the older B1.1's...and haven't really seen a Plus in person to compare. I enjoy holding the B1.1 8x32 but I can see where others might not. Ergonomics is pretty important to me as when I am birding, I want the binocular to feel good in my hands. The B1.1 has that 'good feel for me'.

The big drawback for me with the Plus is the specifications as weight wise, it is far over the B1.1 as well as close-focus has increased too. The optics might be improved with coatings but I am just not sold on it being a real improvement over the B1.1.

From what I have read from Meopta, this forum etc...the B1 Plus is just a filler until the B2 comes along. Although the B2 I am sure has been delayed heavily by COVID so perhaps not until 2022 until we get a glimpse of it. Then the new MeoAir line ( which is still not out) will be their $1000 bin and the B2 will be whatever the market price is, but the B1.1 or Plus will essentially be gone (and most likely the MeoPro), so I am thinking there wasn't a lot of thought going into the Plus unless it was the body itself that was being updated and might be the new Design of the B2.

I never minded the green of the older B1.1's...and haven't really seen a Plus in person to compare. I enjoy holding the B1.1 8x32 but I can see where others might not. Ergonomics is pretty important to me as when I am birding, I want the binocular to feel good in my hands. The B1.1 has that 'good feel for me'.

The big drawback for me with the Plus is the specifications as weight wise, it is far over the B1.1 as well as close-focus has increased too. The optics might be improved with coatings but I am just not sold on it being a real improvement over the B1.1.
If like you said the B1 plus being a filler, those who are willing to wait maybe sometime later this year we will see some really low discounted prices on the B1 Plus with more older in stock of the B1 and B1.1 having even lower prices. I must admit if I see the B1 Plus in the 8x32 being discounted in the low $700 prices or lower I will buy a pair. Especially if it is in the brown or sand color version.

Last edited:
If like you said the B1 plus being a filler, those who are willing to wait maybe sometime later this year we will see some really low discounted prices on the B1 Plus with more older in stock of the B1 and B1.1 having even lower prices. I must admit if I see the B1 Plus in the 8x32 being discounted in the low $700 prices or lower I will buy a pair. Especially if it is in the brown or sand color version.
I haven't seen too many B1.1's for sale anymore.... at one time Meopta said they would be selling them in conjunction with the Plus, but I think it was for only as long as their current B1.1 stock was around. I do see where some sites offer a 2-3 week delay, so perhaps they are still around. But the bottom line has the specifications of the B1.1 and the newer B1Plus being essentially the same. Even with the coatings, Meopta's own site has the 10x42, for example, having 88% light transmission for both models, the close focus still 8.4 or 8.5, FOV equal etc... The dimensions are equal but the weight of the B1 Plus is heavier (33.3 to 31.7 ounces) but the binocular has been given a slight face lift. So odd that they did this. If the B2 will be out this year, why go thru a false hype of something that has changed and the production costs?

The B1.1 is a good series and good glass, and I am assuming the B1 Plus is equal in glass, but what was any reasoning behind this other then to pave the road for the MeoAir replacing the $ price-point of the current B1 series, so the B2 could now become the top dog. They should have come out with the MeoAir and the B2 simultaneously and made a clean go of it instead of pulling the wool over us birders :)

Last edited:
I haven't seen too many B1.1's for sale anymore.... at one time Meopta said they would be selling them in conjunction with the Plus, but I think it was for only as long as their current B1.1 stock was around. I do see where some sites offer a 2-3 week delay, so perhaps they are still around. But the bottom line has the specifications of the B1.1 and the newer B1Plus being essentially the same. Even with the coatings, Meopta's own site has the 10x42, for example, having 88% light transmission for both models, the close focus still 8.4 or 8.5, FOV equal etc... The dimensions are equal but the weight of the B1 Plus is heavier (33.3 to 31.7 ounces) but the binocular has been given a slight face lift. So odd that they did this. If the B2 will be out this year, why go thru a false hype of something that has changed and the production costs?

The B1.1 is a good series and good glass, and I am assuming the B1 Plus is equal in glass, but what was any reasoning behind this other then to pave the road for the MeoAir replacing the $ price-point of the current B1 series, so the B2 could now become the top dog. They should have come out with the MeoAir and the B2 simultaneously and made a clean go of it instead of pulling the wool over us birders :)
Indeed ... Meopta might think they have gotten away with the Wool aspect of advertising within the ordinary human population but they did not take into account us crazy optical wizards here at BirdForum.

I noticed the eye relief on the 8x32 B1 Plus is 16mm vs 15.5mm on the B1.1... Might this also mean an eyecup redesign? I have a slight illusion they look larger on the pictures? Would be nice...the B1s' were too small for my face...

MeoStar B1 Plus

I have the new MeoStar B1 Plus binos and feel that they are easier to grip for extended periods of time than the B1.1 10x42 binos. I let a buddy try them out who also has a pair of B1.1's and he also liked the new body style. We both felt the hinged system was a bit stiff but probably related to not having much use. I heard Meopta is also coming out with 4 Limited Edition colors for this model too.

MeoStar Plus on the left

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/dd363/bman940/IMG_7886_2.jpeg
Did you guys notice difference in eye relief and/or eyecup design on b1.1 vs b1+? Or anybody else experience with that?

Did you guys notice difference in eye relief and/or eyecup design on b1.1 vs b1+? Or anybody else experience with that?
We handled both models of the 8x32, the B1.1 and the B1 Plus model and compared both for 1 day. To our eyes we saw no noticeable improvement optically of the Plus model over the B1.1. The eye cup design/eye relief on both versions worked great for us, we could see no physical change between them. The only physical thing that stands out between the two models is the New rubber armor design of the Plus model. Our ages at the time when we compared both, we were in our late sixties. We had no eye cup issues with either models. The New armor design of the Plus version we thought was more pleasing to look at. You really need to handle both to see which one you like better. The purchase price of the New Plus version on sale that we received, was actually a few dollars less than what we paid for the B1.1 version a few weeks earlier. Since we saw no real improvement optically, we sent the Plus model back that same day we received it. After we sold our 8x model of the B1.1 we purchased the 10x32 B1.1 which we still have. If we could have purchased the Plus version of the 10x32 for the same price that we paid for the B1.1 we would have, only because of the New redesign of the armor on the Plus version.

Thanks for your elaborate reply! I haven't held one yet, but I always imagine the ridges on the Plus to be a nuisance. How did you think the handfeel was, considering that new bridge design?

Thanks for your elaborate reply! I haven't held one yet, but I always imagine the ridges on the Plus to be a nuisance. How did you think the handfeel was, considering that new bridge design?
We actually liked the handling of the New armor on the Plus model but we also like the way the B1.1 feels in hand. As I said the Plus version looked more pleasing to our eyes and at one time it came in different colors but I do not know if the different color versions are still available from Meopta.

We actually liked the handling of the New armor on the Plus model but we also like the way the B1.1 feels in hand. As I said the Plus version looked more pleasing to our eyes and at one time it came in different colors but I do not know if the different color versions are still available from Meopta.
Thinking back now, one thing that I really like on my B1.1 version which the Plus version do not have, are those two finger indentations on the back side of the binocular. Also due to the redesign of the Rubber Armor on the Plus version makes them feel chunkier and larger in hand then they actually are. The B1.1 feel smaller in hand, due to their different slimmer design of their Rubber Armor. As I said if I were to change versions it would only be because of the different Armor look of the B1 Plus.

At first when I handled the B1 Plus I was not sure if it was a binocular I would use all day because of its chunkier/ square feel but soon got used to them. Not having those two finger indentations like my B1.1 also made me make some adjustments to how to hold them. I think those who purchase and keep one over the other will be because of their differences in their physical handling/looks due to their different Armor designs and not because of any real improvement optically of one over the other

Thanks! :D Your remark about the indentations is a good one; I think I'm very used to those but don't notice it. Time to get my hands on a B1 Plus to find out how they handle, shame they're not very much readily in store here.

At first when I handled the B1 Plus I was not sure if it was a binocular I would use all day because of its chunkier/ square feel but soon got used to them. Not having those two finger indentations like my B1.1 also made me make some adjustments to how to hold them. I think those who purchase and keep one over the other will be because of their differences in their physical handling/looks due to their different Armor designs and not because of any real improvement optically of one over the other
Years back during COVID I had my hands on both the 8x32 and 10x32 B1.1...loved them both and should have bought both of them but settled on the 8x. Am thinking about the 10x but I have a Leica Noctivid 10x42 which I have to use, although might sell. I only use the 10x for hawk watching now.

Years back during COVID I had my hands on both the 8x32 and 10x32 B1.1...loved them both and should have bought both of them but settled on the 8x. Am thinking about the 10x but I have a Leica Noctivid 10x42 which I have to use, although might sell. I only use the 10x for hawk watching now.
We sold our 8x32 B1.1 because our aging eyes needed that little xtra power for a tad more detail. We purchased the 10x version when Meopta had that clearance sale direct from their website. We were hesitant at first for two reasons : would that xtra power add too much shaking to our views and we worried about not having enough eye relief. The 10x version turned out to be just as easy and pleasing to use as the 8x. Both concerns did not arise, eye relief turned out to be sufficient for both of us with our glasses on and for both of us the 10x version is pretty easy to manage in keeping the views reasonably steady.

Last edited:
Having had both....I found little difference between the two in eye relief, shaking etc... My wife wanted the 8 so we have the 8x. I should have kept the 10x for me, but wanted to check out other brands and ended up with a 7x35 retro for me. Not quite the 10x but hey, .... such is life. !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back