• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin?? East Sufffolk, UK - no photo (1 Viewer)

RoyS

A few days ago (13 December), I was driving along a narrow country road near my home in East Suffolk. I flushed a bird from the verge, which flew about 30 metres ahead of the car for 250-300 metres until a car coming the other way caused it to flick up and through the hedge and away.

It was blackbird size, and had uniformly dark upperparts of dark grey to black. I had no sight of the underparts. It flew dead straight at a constant height of (I estimate) 45-60 cms. with very easy, rhythmic wing beats and narrow pointed wings. When it turned away from the road it showed the 'anchor' shape that I associate with peregrines, altho' it was much smaller.

I have never seen a merlin but wonder if this was one - what do others think??

best wishes - Roy Simpson

Blackbird size, (a male Sprawk might struggle ''to fit into this shoe size'' :) plus the shape description/movement sounds good for Jack Merlin.

Cheers

On a view such as this, and given the inherent difficulties in judging the size of a lone bird, I wouldn't recommend a confident identification as a Merlin. Sparrowhawk males are quite small, and could perhaps look smaller still out of a familiar context. Besides, I wouldn't have said that a male Merlin was the size of a Blackbird either. The Peregrine-like shape sounds interesting, certainly, but a fleeting view as it turned away from the road while one is concentrating on driving isn't ideal. If you wish to count a bird as new for you on such a view, you may of course do so.

The size and shape descriptions fit merlin but both can be difficult to judge in a rapidly flying, flushed bird. I think the doubt here comes from relative abundnace and the fact that it's typical sparrowhawk behaviour whereas a merlin, typically a hunter in open country, would be less likely to dart through a hedge. No clear ID I would say.
Michael

Thanks for these replies. I am familiar with sparrowhawks - we see them in the garden - and I am near-certain this wasn't one.

I had no intention of making this a 'tick', no matter the opinions I received - I have to be 100% satisfied before I do that. I was interested in other peoples views - and would now count this as a 'probable'.

Thanks again - and have a good Christmas - Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back