• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Miami, Florida (1 Viewer)

mordovarot

Hello,
The question to Miami birders. Yesterday I drove past 9416 Collins Ave, North of Miami Beach, and heard a chorus of parrots or parakeets from the palm trees around the building. Does anybody know which species colony roosting there?
Thanks.

I didn't check all the parrots on this list (you'll want to start with "exotic: provisional" and then check "exotic: escapee"), but I happened to click the "map" link for "orange-winged parrot" and there have been repeated sightings of a pair at that precise location. (But only two birds. If you're sure you heard a bigger group, that's not it. Parrots do move around quite a bit. Larger groups of yellow-chevroned parakeets have been seen in Miami Beach and could easily have been passing by when you were there.)

White-eyed parakeets and red masked parakeets both also (non-natively) occur in the area you mentioned. Seem to have settled (through escapees) in the area and also seem to be quite common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back