• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch vs Dielectric Monarch. (1 Viewer)

Nessus

So the new Monarch ATB is exactly the same as the old one so many of us have except that it has dielectric prism coatings.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison? It seems the perfect chance to see just how much brightness Dielectric adds in the real world.

Given that the theoretical difference between an excellent silver-coated prism and an excellent dielectric prism is way under 10% and probably under 5% I think it is impossible to tell with certainty and moreover, causality. Any differences seen might be attributed to tint than brightness. Also a more fully illuminated exit pupil due to better engineering and larger prisms could possibly be more important.

Rick

I agree. I think 5% could be seen in a careful A/B test, which I am coming to the opinion is a confusing way to test binoculars, scientific as it might seem. Just use it a few days and see how you like it, I say.

Silver rolls off quickly in the blue, while a good dielectric is quite even across the visible, which certainly sound like a good thing. The brightest modern binoculars, however, are sometimes accused of having a "cold" look, or of having less apparent contrast than the silver coated generation. The eye has a hard time focusing blue light, which led to the development of "blue blockers" sunglasses. Optics has a harder time with blue light too--if it's not well controlled with ED glass and whatever else they might do, it can increase the intensity of color fringes seen in harsh contrast scenes. OK, I feel better about my old silver coated bino now!
Ron

I don't know, in this day and age 5% is a pretty huge jump in light gathering. Were like race cars drivers now looking for tenths of percent improvement in binos.

I'd still like to hear what someone says who has both. Surely someone who has a Monarch, (one of the finest bins in it price range for years) has gotten themselves an X as a replacement?

And just like racecars (F1 is my preference) you can't actually see the difference without ABing them :)

Adding ED glass (something they might be forced to do in the future) would be a useful step up (making them the lightest 42mm ED bins). Winding the FOV of course would be even better but I'd settle for ED glass at the current price.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back