• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 Monarch M7 comparisons (1 Viewer)

wllmspd

I note Nikon updated their monarch line last year, but they seem to have not made it too clear in the naming… so I am interested in comparison of the new Monarch M7 (“M7+”) against the previous model and the E2 and others in the same price range. Lots of old “Monarch 7” info but hard to determine if the review is using the newer model?! Nikon why couldn’t you have called it the M8 or the like?!?!!!

Peter

Hello,
I was able to try the new Monarch M7 8x30 and what to say, total disappointment, left eye edge with hazy ring, minimal depth of field that makes achieving focus very difficult, hard eye cups and absolute lack of brightness compared to the old model.
I have also found good things, yes, but the undesirable weighs more in the balance.
Anyway... this is what I can tell you about my experience.
greetings

I own a M7 8x30, Monarch HG 8x42 and a Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32. The M7 is definitely much better than the Diamondback and a great glass. I don’t know if you got a lemon or too high expectations.

Some time ago I was able to try the monarch 7 8x30 old model, and the difference noticed is great in favor of the old one. My expectations were that it would be at least the same, but no.
It could be a lemon, yes.

M7 8x30 was the worst bino I’ve ever owned. Glare machine! The new one can only be better lol

BTW I love my 10x42 HGs but didn’t like the HG 8x30 nearly as much and sold it. So I doubt the M7+ is going to be anything special either.

In 2017 I made the choice to go from 8x42 to 8x30 binoculars and bought the Nikon M7 8x30 for 329 euros. I liked that format so much that I recently decided to treat myself to an alpha model and bought the new Zeiss SFL 8x30. Although I find the Zeiss much more attractive in terms of design than the Nikon M7 (both old and new), the SFL has nothing extra to offer in terms of image quality and in some ways I like the M7 even better. This says everything about the excellent quality of the Nikon optics in the M7 (anyway the old model). It is a pity that Nikon does not take their range of binoculars so seriously because their price-quality ratio is very good. In the Netherlands there are hardly any dealers who actively sell Nikon binoculars or scopes. I don't understand that; is the dealer profit that low on Nikon?

I found the M7 the best bang for buck bin I've come across. Actually the Svbony is another contender. Maybe you should have jumped to the SF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back