• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monovid minimalist. (1 Viewer)

Granpoli

Spain
Hello,
I 've see one Monovid 8x20 monocular, cute, minimalist.
I can see the great pocket advantage, is really a pocket instrument..
I like not only the birds, but insects,flowers.. Papillon.. Moon vistas...
In your opinión, he can a good instrument for this purpose?
Thank you.
Gpoli.

Hi Grandpoli,

The focus adjustment is a two hand operation and is quite stiff. There is a monovid thread about better handling the monovid in the Leica section which is very useful to stabilize it. The eyecup seems to be too small for me when I try using it without glasses and note that with my glasses, distant focus is nearly at the end of the focus range of the monovid. Its better to try it out if possible.

The close focus lens is an interesting addition but the depth of field with it attached to the monovid is extremely shallow. Any slight body shake/movement will easily make you lose focus without any elbow or leaning support.

Despite the issues, it is a very convenient and high quality tool for quick views as I have it on my table to look out the window and on walks while my other optics are in the dry box.

The Nikon 5x15 and 7x15 HG (high grade) monoculars don’t need screwing the accessory lens to switch between regular and close focus, but they don’t focus as close as the Monovid with close-focus attachment. The Minox Makroscope will do the whole range, but is quite bulky.

What others say about handling is true, monoculars are good for a quick glance but uncomfortable for extended viewing due to stability (which is why a lower magnification like 5x helps).

Monoculars are excellent as stand-off loupes for close-viewing, however. I use one to focus my laser engraver, or watch fishes in an aquarium.

Last edited:
Use the monocular grasped in the palm.
No (increased) shakes, easy to hold steady, good stability. For me.
As Ted Y, said.

Grasped in the palm and have my other hand as a "C" held together, with the index finger resting on my brow to both help stabilize and create an obstruction so that I do not need to squint one eye. I met an old timer who uses a paper clamp on his svbony monocular since it provides a sort of a pistol grip or mini finn stick.

I find my Monovid harder to use for birding; as more difficult to locate object, , hold steady and to focus.
With its micro lens it is great for little things like bugs and flowers,
better quality than the popular pentax papillio.

edj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back