• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montrose Basin and the surrounding area (1 Viewer)

Yes I've posted on that thread Delia, funnily enough just back from scrumping Hazelnuts and saw a couple on the village park, they also nest in my daughters garden up Corsiehill in Perth.

In the Glens I would expect that, but I'm on the coast and there are no gamekeepers round here, talking to villagers, they don't remember seeing any in their childhoods either, most odd. I remember recording one to the ADBC 15 years ago or more and it caused quite a commotion at the time, seen them in Dundee, Forfar and Aberdeen, but not in the countryside.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned farmers as well. Farms fill the gaps between glens and towns/villages in Angus and farmers are not keen on corvids either. There weren't any in Dundee when I was a kid either, nor in any of the surrounding countryside. BTO maps from atlas 2007-11, lets you look back to distribution in 1968-72 and 1988-1991

Had an hour or so in the BoS hide, not much about on a very windy day, star would be a brief view of a Water Rail, a Little Egret and a couple of Herons, further out there were Eiders, a lot of Lapwing, Golden Plover, Curlew, Knot and Redshank, a Red Fox was spotted just before we arrived.
Added a short video clip, no sound
Winday day at Montrose by tigerburnie, on Flickr

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back