• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montrose Basin and the surrounding area (2 Viewers)

On our wander round the village was joined by a large family of Long tailed tits, at least 10 of them, always nice to see.

Indeed they are Burnie.... very nice for you too.

Thanks for telling us lad.

Every where has been a bit quiet after the storm, went over the Cairn O'Mount last week and into Aboyne, we saw one Red Kite near the Clatterin' Brig and that was it.

Spent an hour scouring Montrose for Waxwings, seems there were around a hundred of them on the Aldi car park yesterday, none today anywhere, went to the BoS hide at the basin for an hour, missed the Kingfisher and didn't see much of the Fox that kept teasing us, all seems quiet still.

I did a day trip to Montrose yesterday, boosting my meagre Angus list. The highlights for me were a Great White Egret at the Wildlife Trust which was a Scottish tick and off the lighthouse I got a Red Throated Diver. The weather was very bright all day which was bad at times especially first half of the day but with the sun behind me it lit up the diver very nicely. Also found a nice range of ducks when I checked my photos back home including a Shoveler I'd missed at the time.

The Aberdeen and district RSPB group headed for Montrose yesterday on their latest outing. After the last RSPB outing being cancelled due to torrential rain, it was great to get out with the group again yesterday in much more pleasant weather. We started at the Tayock car park at the north-east of the basin. The paths from Tayock lead to a couple of locations to look out over the basin, but also make their way through a wooded area, meaning we could see some smaller birds as well.

Coal Tit, Robin and Blackbird were seen around the car park, and then once we started walking we started to see the occasional smaller bird, but not in any abundance. Goldcrest was a nice addition to the list, with Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit and Dunnock all seen as well. Perhaps the highlight of the smaller birds seen were a few Bullfinches, which allowed great views as they fed on seeds. We saw a couple of pairs along the walk, as well as a single Redwing as we headed back to the cars.

Looking out over the basin itself we managed to see 3 Little Egrets as well as a distant Great Egret - amazing to think these were rarities not so long ago. There were still good numbers of Pink-footed Geese on the mud, as well as a large amount of Shelduck, Wigeon and Teal. Waders were seen, including Redshank, Curlew, Oystercatcher and Dunlin and a few Great Black-backed Gulls were out on the sandbanks.

After making our way back to the cars we headed for Rossie Spit, a wader roost at high tide. Hundreds of Oystercatchers were already roosting, as well as Knot, Sanderling, Bar and Black-tailed Godwits and a few Grey Heron. Eider and Red-breasted Merganser were diving for food and a few Shoveler were sleeping near the shore.

Our final stop was the visitor centre for some heat! We didn’t see much from the hide overlooking the salt pans, but added quite a few things from the VC itself. A large flock of Pintail was nice to see, and a Blackcap feeding on the bird table gave good views, as well as Tree Sparrows and other small birds. A weasel was seen scurrying through some woodwork and the final species for the outing was a highlight - a Water Rail spotted in the marshy ground gave decent views for all of the group.

A nice outing for the group, with a conservative estimate of 58 species seen.

A Dunnock will do very nicely Burnie.

May I wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and the family too.

Heard a couple of Skylarks on our walk around the village fields, not full blown display singing, but nice to see them out on the fields, a pair of Magpies look like they are starting nest building as are the village Rooks.

A windy walk round the village was mostly about the Skylarks singing, though a furry highlight was a Stoat running up the road in front of us, seen a couple in recent weeks, probably after all the Rabbits that seem to have exploded in numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back