• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth Trap (which one & where to buy it) (2 Viewers)

Sorry to hijack this thread, I have just built my 1st trap,I based it on a robinson trap a friend has, I am a tadd perplexed as to what lighting to use, my friends MV would illuminate most of S Wales!! and the BBC based the Victor Meldrew character on my nextdoor neighbour ( proffesional moaner),I have seen a 25w Actinic bulb with all the gubbins in a local marine aquarium shop for £15,do you think this would suffice? I have questioned the owner and he says it is totally waterproof. Thanks in advance for any answers.

thanks for the super quick reply,thought I'd be waiting days!! ol' Victor probably will moan,but with an Actinic I think he will have less to moan about, I could be as sure as night follows day, that if I used a MV I would have a visit from the local council and MP!!,I think I'll give the chap you recommend a ring to see what he says,thanks again.

Save me writting another thread, what field guide would you recommend? bearing in mind that my daughter and I are complete novices, we borrowed a friends and WOW it blew us away!

I think that Waring and Townsend is the best option for a beginner. It shows all the macro moths in natural resting positions. Some people swear by Skinner but I only regard it as a back-up.
Ken

I contacted ANGLEPS a few days ago and to be fair the gent I spoke to advised against black bulbs,stating Actinic were a better option given cost/durability.May be I should bite the bullet,get ourselves a 125w MV3 and tell 'ol Victor to go moan about someone/something else !! LOL :-O

If you are going down the MV route be sure to buy a decent stock of bulbs. Very soon these will be withdrawn from sale under EU environmental regs.

Think very carefully about using MV though. My mate does extremely well with a Paul Batty 40W actinic setup and I've caught some of my most exciting moths with a 15W actinic. As you know MVs really are very bright and potential neighbour nigglers. VM could be quite justified in complaining depending on where the light is to be placed. I'm fortunate in that there are strategically placed hedges that shield my MV.

I use a rather old-fashioned 80W MV, and even that lights the place up. I put a wheelbarrow in a strategic position to avoid keeping us awake at night - the neighbours are very tolerant but most of the light is shielded by hedges, sheds etc. It's strange walking past the front of the house at night, you can see an eerie glow - I'm sure that casual passers-by must wonder what's going on.
Ken

One of my neighbours asked what the light was and was most disappointed to find I wasn't raising some illicit crop, just studying bugs!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back