• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths of April 2010 (1 Viewer)

Cool again this morning, numbers well down on previous nights, although the catch did contain my first Powdered Quaker of the year, right on que.

1x Powdered Quaker [NFY]
7x Common Quaker
10x Hebrew Character
4x Early Grey
1x Red Chestnut
2x Small Quaker
2x Clouded Drab

Attachments

• Powdered Quaker.jpg
    Powdered Quaker.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 85
Nerine, please send that Great Prom. to me!! o:)

I'll swap it for a few of your moths - you're getting some great catches! I'm getting very few at the moment - the cold north easterly wind doesn't seem to agree with the moths in my garden and I've decided to stop trapping for a few days.

Nerine

Nice little trapping sesh down at Calluloe for 1.5 hrs produced:

16x Hebrew Character
5x Clouded Drab
3x Common Quaker
1x Early Grey
1x Powdered Quaker (n)

Attachments

• eg 033 (Large).jpg
    eg 033 (Large).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 76
Numbers still dwindling slightly (but I'm sure I'd have been very happy a couple of months back.)

Min of 3C (but quite frosty, including on the car back in Falmouth). Calm.

30 moths of 6 species;

3 Red Chestnut
7 Common Quaker
7 Early Grey
10 Hebrew Character
2 Small Quaker
1 Clouded Drab

Caught 3 single Clouded Drabs so far, all different indviduals.

The wind dropped completely yesterday. I caught 23 moths.

Oak Beauty was new for my garden. |=)|

Nerine

Attachments

• Oak Beauty 17 April..jpg
    Oak Beauty 17 April..jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 69
Nice pic, Nerine.
The wind dropped here, too, but so did the temp. I only had a few common quakers and Hebrew characters. Plus a tiny micro - only about 6 mm long.
Ken

Not many moths last night. Very windy here right now.

I turned the light off quite late today at 8 and I found a lot of moth wings spread around the trap. Is that birds? When is the latest you can turn off the trap without birds eating your moths?

Not many moths last night. Very windy here right now.

I turned the light off quite late today at 8 and I found a lot of moth wings spread around the trap. Is that birds? When is the latest you can turn off the trap without birds eating your moths?

Birds, hedgehogs, cats, bats and slugs ... I imagine there's a whole new topic here to discuss.

Depends too on whether there is much cover immediately around the trap for the moths to hide in once the sun comes up/it starts to get light.

I've heard of people finding wrens in their trap! Ideally the trap should be turned off before it gets properly light. The ID article on pugs (Lancs Moth group) says that you should check the outside of your trap while it is still dark - but that means a very early start in summer!
Ken

Another beautiful day and some cloud cover (or ash?) at last as the day was drawing to a close. Temperatures hovering around 9c for a few hours, this morning dropping to 4c.
But it was all worth it, as I discovered a new garden record, a Lunar Marbled Brown! also new for the year were Double-striped Pug and Waved Umber.
Also finally some Micro Moths were recorded, albeit common species.

Macro Moths

1x Lunar Marbled Brown [NFG]
1x Double-striped Pug [NFY]
1x Waved Umber [NFY]
1x Clouded Drab
2x Powdered Quaker
13x Hebrew Character
2x Early Thorn
2x Early Grey
5x Common Quaker
1x Small Quaker

Micro Moths

1x Agonopterix heracliana
2x Emmelina monodactyla

Attachments

• Lunar Marbled Brown.jpg
    Lunar Marbled Brown.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Double-striped Pug.jpg
    Double-striped Pug.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 65
Very nice Benny!
There was a bit more variety here too last night, even though it was relatively cold.
The best included Brindled Beauty, a male and female Early Thorn, Double-striped Pug x 2 and another Pug which needs Iding later but is probably Brindled. Also my first Emmelina of the year.

Had a look at the trap at about 10.30 last night - 1 March Moth on it and 2 Water Carpet nearby. This morning (checked at it approx 7am) ;-

3 March Moth
15 Common Quaker
21 Hebrew Character
1 Red Chestnut
2 Early Grey
1 Water Carpet
2 Clouded Drab
1 Powdered Quaker (lifer)
1 Angle Shades (nfy)

(The Angle Shades was on the battery box, c. 5 feet from the trap. Also outside were 1 of the Clouded Drabs, 2 C. Quaker and 1 Heb. Ch. ) 2.8C outside temp, fog.

I photographed this dark pug at Berrylands Station, Surrey today, I'm guessing it's a Brindled Pug but I would appreciate other opinions (size and shape as Brindled), I've lightened one of the photos in an attempt to show details

many thanks Nick

Attachments

• DSC00422.JPG
    DSC00422.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00425.JPG
    DSC00425.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 72
Yes Nick, Brindled Pug.

Very quiet here, we will soon be coming into Orthosia lull.

Although I did get my earliest record of Common Pug last night, comparing it with previous year's data it seems to get earlier year upon year.

2008 - 11th May
2009 - 05th May
2010 - 19th April

Macro Moths

1x Common Pug [NFY]
8x Hebrew Character
7x Common Quaker
1x Small Quaker
1x Powdered Quaker
3x Early Grey
1x Clouded Drab
1x Early Thorn

Micro Moths

1x Emmellina monodactyla

Attachments

• Common Pug.jpg
    Common Pug.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 80
Things are looking up - had 55 in the trap:
Common Quaker
Red Chestnut
Mottled Grey
Pale Pinion - NFY
Clouded Drab
Powdered Quaker
Small Quaker
Flame Shoulder - NFY
Brindled Beauty
Dotted Border
Early Thorn
Lunar Marbled Brown - NFY
Hebrew Character

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back