• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Thomasson and his Island Thrush … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
While looking for "my" Swedish naturalists I took a quick look at this guy … nothing indicating he was Swedish, more than the double s's in his family name (the standard use in Swedish "son-names"), however commemorated in;

● the subspecies Turdus poliocephalus thomassoni SEEBOHM 1894 a k a "Thomasson's Thrush"

And the obvious question is: Who is, or was, this Mr. Thomasson?

The HBW Alive Key explains it as follow:
thomassoni
J. P. Thomasson (1841-1904) collector in the Philippines (subsp. Turdus poliocephalus).
But … the OD, in BBOC 1894 (No. XIX; p.li, here), gives no explanation, nor any dedication. The bird is simply noted as "Merula thomassoni, sp. n."). However; two pages before that, in the Postscript (here) is a promise of a forthcoming "full account" in The Ibis "June 23, 1894.", … which appeared in the July issue (here … anyway I hope, think it was this one Seebohm was intending ;)) – an article by W. R. Ogilvie Grant, (starting on p.501) " ... With Field-Notes by John Whitehead").

However still not a word of any Mr. Thomasson.

Thereby, my following question: How come this eponym is claimed to commemorate "J. P. Thomasson (1841-1904) collector in the Philippines" when the Type apparently was discovered (and most likely also collected) by Whitehead himself?

And if it truly is a certain "J. P. Thomasson (1841-1904) ..." who is commemorated in this eponym … [I haven´t found any collector, of any Nationality, by the name Thomasson in NHM (here) or elsewhere – that is: active in the Philippines, in that Era] … I think (!) the person we are looking for is John Pennington Thomasson (1841–1904), that I doubt ever was a true Field collector, but a wealthy "Master cotton spinner" and Liberal Party politician, MP … etc. etc. (here, here and here) that (as far as I can tell) never travelled further away than Scandinavia. If it´s him, isn´t he more likely to have been a collector (at home) of birds from the Philippines?

Anyone who know, for sure?

It does fit well with what´s claimed in The history of the collections contained in the Natural history departments of the British museum, vol 2, 1906 (page 497-498, here), doesn´t it?

Take it for what it´s worth; as a thought, an idea of whom it might be commemorating ...

Björn

PS. A small disclaimer: He (?) is referred to as "J. T. Thomasson" on page 284 (here) … the same, also, though clearly an error, on page 509, bottom (here).
x

Last edited:
Ooups!

I guess I wasn´t totally lost in my first Post. James must have looked at this eponym at the same time as I did ... now, today, late this evening, the HBW Alive Key reads:
thomassoni
Eponym; dedication not given (Seebohm 1894); John Pennington Thomasson MP (1841-1904) English businessman, mill-owner, philanthropist (per Beolens et al. 2014) (subsp. Turdus poliocephalus).
What a coincidence! It sure is an Alive Key!

Good! One less to rack one's brain over …

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back