• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Multiple birds in Lake District, England (1 Viewer)

TKbird

Hello,
I am just reviewing photos from a trip to Helm Crag in June 2013, and I haven't been able to identify all the birds with confidence. Can anyone with more UK bird experience than me identify these? Thank you!!
TK

Attachments

• DSCN3527.jpg
    DSCN3527.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
  • DSCN3530.jpg
    DSCN3530.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • DSCN3647.jpg
    DSCN3647.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 138
  • DSCN3649.jpg
    DSCN3649.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • DSCN3666.jpg
    DSCN3666.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • DSCN3668.jpg
    DSCN3668.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • DSCN3675.jpg
    DSCN3675.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
  • DSCN3677.jpg
    DSCN3677.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • DSCN3756.jpg
    DSCN3756.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • DSCN3757.jpg
    DSCN3757.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
Not a confident answer, but: is the first bird accepted as a confident Meadow Pipit?
Yes. all (recent?) "difficult" Pipits here on birdforum was proofen to be Meadows, so this might be one more, just by this rule, but I see:
  • a strong bill with rounded tip and broad base, resulting in a triangular shape
  • extensive pinkish base (yes, colour is Meadow-like dirty, but that is within variation for a Tree Pipit)
  • clear distinct black streaks to breast
  • true white belly, is there a pencil-like streak visible? No, thats whishful thinking!
  • peachy-yellow wash to the breast= 100% Tree Pipit -colour
  • strong, broad supercilum behind eye
  • quite clean buffish-grey colour with just the slightest olive wash visible= very good for a worn Tree Pipit
Yes, this is all within variation for a Meadow Pipit, but I must admit I thought and still think, its a Tree Pipit. As said, its not a confident ID, so: if I am missing something here or if I have to learn, please comment!
Do you have more pictures of this bird?

While the birds on the ground here are all ok for meadows I was also not confident with the first bird, but it’s hard to be fully convinced from these pictures. And unfortunately being in a tree doesn’t help much either…

Not a confident answer, but: is the first bird accepted as a confident Meadow Pipit?
Yes. all (recent?) "difficult" Pipits here on birdforum was proofen to be Meadows, so this might be one more, just by this rule, but I see:
  • a strong bill with rounded tip and broad base, resulting in a triangular shape
  • extensive pinkish base (yes, colour is Meadow-like dirty, but that is within variation for a Tree Pipit)
  • clear distinct black streaks to breast
  • true white belly, is there a pencil-like streak visible? No, thats whishful thinking!
  • peachy-yellow wash to the breast= 100% Tree Pipit -colour
  • strong, broad supercilum behind eye
  • quite clean buffish-grey colour with just the slightest olive wash visible= very good for a worn Tree Pipit
Yes, this is all within variation for a Meadow Pipit, but I must admit I thought and still think, its a Tree Pipit. As said, its not a confident ID, so: if I am missing something here or if I have to learn, please comment!
Do you have more pictures of this bird?
While the birds on the ground here are all ok for meadows I was also not confident with the first bird, but it’s hard to be fully convinced from these pictures. And unfortunately being in a tree doesn’t help much either…

Thank you both!! Unfortunately, these are indeed the only pictures I have of this bird. Would you say that the bird is probably unidentifiable?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back